Failing power supply

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Hello,

I think I have a failing power supply but would like some other opinions before I shell out hard earned cash. My issues started about a month ago with my computer boot looping. It would pass post and the bios screen then restart after that. I realized after a few cycles there was a disc in the DVD drive that was bad(I couldn't read info on the disc and left it in the drive). When I removed the disc the looping stopped. Note that my DVD drive is NOT part of my boot order, so I thought it was weird that it was causing a loop. Then a few weeks later the boot loop started again... I noticed that it usually happens when I have a few things plugged into my USB ports that require power(phone, controller, headset, ect). Occasionally my mouse will suddenly power down which was weird because it is wired. When the mouse does power down changing USB ports does not help, it comes back when it comes back. Most recently though, I have been getting some clicking from my HDD and Windows is telling me that SMART is reporting a failure in the drive. The strange thing is chkdsk reports no errors. The disc is my storage drive with the OS saved on my SSD.

Like I said, I think it is the PSU not powering everything. But, I have EasyTune6 from Gigabyte monitoring the voltages and the only thing that varies is the vcore. That changes when the speed of the CPU goes up. I do have my CPU OC'd to 4.2.

Brief specs(let me know if more are needed):

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2
RAM: G.Skill Ares 8GB 1866 9-10-9
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower TR2-850W
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SataIII

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
HDD clicking is uaually an indication that the drive is about to fail, so i would backup my system immediately.

Use this site to determine if your system is capable of handling your oc and all of your components/usb devices.

How long has your system been handling the oc without any problems? did you run prime95 to test stability?