Looking for some final advice about graphic card or other upgrades

Bookripper

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Last year I bought one of those low profile desktops, an acer x3470. The cpu is an AMD Quad core A6-3620 with built in Radeon HD (6350D + 6450) graphic card. PSU = 220-240V. It does what it needs to do, it even plays a lot of games at reasonable fps. Now I'm playing some of the later Total war games and it's clear that my system could use some improvement. If I can play at medium settings I'd be happy, I don't need high or ultra. And I want to work with what I got, or at least stay with my low profile casing.
My idea was to install a low profile HD 7750 graphic card. When I read the reviews, it should run on my low voltage PSU and improve my gaming up to the level that I need it. But on different forums I hear different opinions, depending on who is commenting.
Basically, I'm willing to spend anything up to 300-350 bucks, but if 100 bucks fixes it I'd be just as happy. I'm prepared to invest in a new graphics card, a new PSU and some extra fans if necessary. what I don't know is if it will fit in my low profile casing. Maybe it's easier to buy a new cpu with a better built in graphic card and better PSU. I don't know... I'm open for suggestions.
I know it's difficult and limited due to the small casing, but I live 6 months per year in Asia and 6 months in Europe. my pc follows me, it's easy to take in my handluggage on the plane (I detest laptops :)).

So any advice would be much appreciated.

Bookripper

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the advice but I have to work with what I've got.

What wattage is your PSU and what is the wattage on the 12v rail(s)?

Edit: never mind I found out it's 220w. Measure the PSU - if it's 150mm wide and 86mm high then it's standard ATX and therefore replaceable. Otherwise...

Your PSU will limit you. I don't know if there's enough in the tank to handle a 7750 (75w TDP). Someone on amazon installed a low profile 6570 (44w TDP) in their x3470 and it ran, so who knows you might get away with a 7750.

Bookripper

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

FYI, I have a fully furnished house in Antwerp, and I have one in Bangkok, complete WITH monitors. My low profile casing fits perfectly in my handluggage and it's way easier to just take it with me instead of buying 2 pc's. I prefer this over having my Windows, all my programs, my drivers... screaming for updates for 4 days after I re-connect it after 6 months of non-use. I constantly install new software so, on top of that, it's an incredible drag to keep 2 pc's in identical settings.
What does not sound logical to you can be the best solution for somebody else. Get out some more, it's good for you!

Aug 6, 2013

Get out some more?
I have one large house in Japan and another in Canada.
As for the BEST EASIEST LIGHTEST solution, you could buy the second cheap computer and unplug and carry your hard drive/s around wherever you go (one set for each motherboard[/Microsoft lockdown spyware], and one set for the other PC and use a USB drive for the opposite one/s to get at files).
Hard drives are far smaller and lighter to carry.
If you trust your monitor/s in Thailand (I enjoyed Thailand almost as much as Vietnam [Na Trang]) then you would be able to trust a cheap PC there.

You dont have to listen to good advice; just like horses dont have to drink water they have been led to.

This solution would require two OSs and doesnt absolve of the 'stream of updates' problem.

FWIW I rent a tiny council house in rural wales, go me!

Bookripper

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

My pc is as big as a shoebox and weighs maybe 4kg. You are acting like I'm dragging a 5 ton slab of concrete along with me. And you are TOTALLY missing the topic here. By 10.000 miles. It's not about transporting my pc and it's certainly not about buying a second cheap pc!
It's about installing a graphic card that would be a minor upgrade in order to play games. It's perfectly possible so I do not understand what you are still yapping about. On top of that, buying 1 new cheap pc is not a solution because I would still be having my current one 6 months per year and what "cheap" gaming pc is there??? A proper full size graphic card alone starts from 200 bucks. AND I'd still have the updates rammed down my throat for 4 days. What you suggest is just retarded man. 100 bucks fixes my problems, apparently a million bucks couldn't fix yours!
Wow, you been to vietnam? That's so special... I've been there 3 times (last year I bought a motorbike there and drove from the south to the north), 3 times to Laos, 4 times to Cambodia, 1 time to Burma. And that's only SE Asia. If you wanna start bragging about stuff like this, you are riding to war on a pony here, sister... AND I'm stil young, you probably went to Na Trang with a walking stick following the tourist trap trail!

Anyway, I'm done with it, got what I needed. Thanks a million to the people who said something constructive!

Roger, S my D! Have fun with your head up your own ass!

Bookripper

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
smoking-gun.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
We are going to have to keep our different points of view separate; seeing as you are locked in to your mentality.

It would be a dull world if we were all the same and all dragged around shoebox sized computers when some of us would, and do, buy tiny hard drives to simply unplug and carry in our coat pockets, and we can also buy very cheap copies of Windows XP thrown into the mix on the second PC.

You drag your shoebox around.

P.S.
Not every PC update is required to do simple tasks; many people run computers for up to ten years without an update or an internet connection; others update via an update DVD download.

Like I say; you drag your 3oz shoebox around. Dont ask for advice if you dont like it when you get it.

You know where you can stick your smoking finger.