Sign in with
Your question

GTX 760 SLI vs 770 vs R9 280x for BF4 on 1080p 144Hz monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

What would be the best upgrade path to get BF4 Ultra/Max on a 1080 144Hz monitor?

Total: 34 votes (1 blank vote)

• Keep my 760 and buy another to SLI
  • 58 %
  • Sell my 760 and get a 770
  • 6 %
  • Sell my 760 and get a R9 280x
  • 38 %
October 16, 2013 7:11:05 AM

So, let me begin by saying that I built my first every computer in preparation for BF4 on PC. You can see the computer specs down in my signature. I already own a single MSI TF GTX 760 2GB and it is a pretty fantastic card. It ran BF3 very well on Ultra settings, except I would usually disable the HBAO and make it SSAO and that made a nice increase in performance.

So, I am really considering upgrading my current 60Hz monitor to this ASUS 1080p 144Hz 1ms monitor which has incredible reviews on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

I've read that this monitor can be an amazing upgrade if you have the hardware to back it so the frames keep up with the refresh rate. I played the BF4 Beta, and granted it was probably not 100% optimized, my GPU did fairly well (mixture of High/Ultra) but I really want to play the game on a smooth FPS at Ultra/Max settings on that monitor.

So really, I am considering these options:

1) Keep my current MSI 760 and try to grab another one for SLI if the prices drops at all in the short term future. I've heard that SLI can be a good solution if you plan for it right after a new generation of GPU's and get the second card shortly after the first. My PSU, Corsair HX 750w Gold, should be able to easily handle the SLI configuration. I am strongly considering this option because I already have 1 760 and bought it with the intention of SLI, but I am just wary of the negative comments I've heard from users about SLI.

2) Sell my current MSI 760 and opt to upgrade to a GTX 770 for better overall performance in a single GPU solution. If you do suggest going for the 770 option, please give you opinion on whether I should get the 4GB or 2GB variant of VRAM. I only really play BF3, Starcraft, Farcry, Crysis etc so I'm not sure if I need the extra VRAM, but what I hear is that it will be better "future-proofing"

3) Sell my current MSI 760 and try to upgrade to one of the new R9 280x AMD cards if they perform well because they are basically a revamped 7970 from what I hear. This is brand new tech from AMD and the Mantle tech being implemented by DICE for BF4, along with the standard 3GB VRAM makes this an interesting option that I figured I would throw into the mix.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read the post and for your opinions/suggestions
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 7:21:17 AM

bbarber718 said:
So, let me begin by saying that I built my first every computer in preparation for BF4 on PC. You can see the computer specs down in my signature. I already own a single MSI TF GTX 760 2GB and it is a pretty fantastic card. It ran BF3 very well on Ultra settings, except I would usually disable the HBAO and make it SSAO and that made a nice increase in performance.

So, I am really considering upgrading my current 60Hz monitor to this ASUS 1080p 144Hz 1ms monitor which has incredible reviews on Newegg:

I've read that this monitor can be an amazing upgrade if you have the hardware to back it so the frames keep up with the refresh rate. I played the BF4 Beta, and granted it was probably not 100% optimized, my GPU did fairly well (mixture of High/Ultra) but I really want to play the game on a smooth FPS at Ultra/Max settings on that monitor.

1) Keep my current MSI 760 and try to grab another one for SLI if the prices drops at all in the short term future. I've heard that SLI can be a good solution if you plan for it right after a new generation of GPU's and get the second card shortly after the first. My PSU, Corsair HX 750w Gold, should be able to easily handle the SLI configuration. I am strongly considering this option because I already have 1 760 and bought it with the intention of SLI, but I am just wary of the negative comments I've heard from users about SLI.

2) Sell my current MSI 760 and opt to upgrade to a GTX 770 for better overall performance in a single GPU solution. If you do suggest going for the 770 option, please give you opinion on whether I should get the 4GB or 2GB variant of VRAM. I only really play BF3, Starcraft, Farcry, Crysis etc so I'm not sure if I need the extra VRAM, but what I hear is that it will be better "future-proofing"

3) Sell my current MSI 760 and try to upgrade to one of the new R9 280x AMD cards if they perform well because they are basically a revamped 7970 from what I hear. This is brand new tech from AMD and the Mantle tech being implemented by DICE for BF4, along with the standard 3GB VRAM makes this an interesting option that I figured I would throw into the mix.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read the post and for your opinions/suggestions

You should buy another 760 and sli them because 760 sli performs better than a 780.However 2gb is still sufficient or gaming.If you want to achieve max performance go for a 760 sli but make sure that your case is well ventilated for warm air and you also need a modular PSU of at least 700 w.
October 16, 2013 7:27:47 AM

Quote:
You should buy another 760 and sli them because 760 sli performs better than a 780.However 2gb is still sufficient or gaming.If you want to achieve max performance go for a 760 sli but make sure that your case is well ventilated for warm air and you also need a modular PSU of at least 700 w.

Thanks for the response. Yea, as I said I'm strongly considering this upgrade path to just SLI the 760's. I have a Corsair HX 750w Gold certified PSU that should be able to easily handle the SLI. I believe I have good airflow with a 200mm fan on the side, and 4 other 120mm fans throughout my Corsair 500r
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 7:31:52 AM

FarmPC4 said:
The AMD Radeon R9 280X would be the best choice for a couple reasons. 1. It's a better GPU for the money 2. BF4 is AMD optimized so the porting will be better with the 280X 3. the 280X has 3GB VRAM (not completely necessary but nice to have) 4. it also supports Mantle for cross platform gaming (yet to be determined to its usefulness) Overall, I would go for the 280X in a heartbeat over the Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 for BF4.

You can still get a couple hundred bucks for your current 760 which is what I'm doing with mine.

What do you mean''Its a better GPU for the money''?Is a 760 not worth it?OK the bf4 is AMD optimized but 760 sli vs 280x is a monster against a human in raw horsepower
October 16, 2013 7:35:33 AM

Quote:
The AMD Radeon R9 280X would be the best choice for a couple reasons. 1. It's a better GPU for the money 2. BF4 is AMD optimized so the porting will be better with the 280X 3. the 280X has 3GB VRAM (not completely necessary but nice to have) 4. it also supports Mantle for cross platform gaming (yet to be determined to its usefulness) Overall, I would go for the 280X in a heartbeat over the Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 for BF4.

You can still get a couple hundred bucks for your current 760 which is what I'm doing with mine.

I have to agree with all the points you made as I have thought of those as well trying to make this decision. The 3GB VRAM is def a nice to have should I want to play intensive games in the next 2-3 yrs (current timeline for this GPU).

The Mantle tech also seems to be an interesting, yet unproven feature to the AMD cards. It is def a major plus that DICE has already come out to say that all Frostbite games *cough* BF4, Battlefront and Mirrors Edge 2 *cough* will utilize Mantle.

Maybe I will wait just a bit longer and try to see benchmarks for GPUs with the final stable release before making another hasty decision. What would be a good avenue to sell my 760? eBay? I know there is somewhere on Toms to resell components
October 16, 2013 7:39:31 AM

subhadeep082012 said:
FarmPC4 said:

What do you mean''Its a better GPU for the money''?Is a 760 not worth it?OK the bf4 is AMD optimized but 760 sli vs 280x is a monster against a human in raw horsepower

This is sort of the sticky situation that I am in. I believe my current setup can handle a SLI solution quite well. Is it true that there can be bad micro-stuttering and driver issues? From what I've read, SLI has been the better solution over XFire, and if the game can take advantage of the SLI, its quite a big increase in performance
a b U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 7:40:14 AM

bbarber718 said:
Quote:

I have to agree with all the points you made as I have thought of those as well trying to make this decision. The 3GB VRAM is def a nice to have should I want to play intensive games in the next 2-3 yrs (current timeline for this GPU).

The Mantle tech also seems to be an interesting, yet unproven feature to the AMD cards. It is def a major plus that DICE has already come out to say that all Frostbite games *cough* BF4, Battlefront and Mirrors Edge 2 *cough* will utilize Mantle.

Maybe I will wait just a bit longer and try to see benchmarks for GPUs with the final stable release before making another hasty decision. What would be a good avenue to sell my 760? eBay? I know there is somewhere on Toms to resell components

Dont sell the 760 right now!Wait for the benchmarks but if you got another 760 you could have reached upto a titan
October 16, 2013 8:36:35 AM

FarmPC4 said:
bbarber718 said:
subhadeep082012 said:
FarmPC4 said:

This is sort of the sticky situation that I am in. I believe my current setup can handle a SLI solution quite well. Is it true that there can be bad micro-stuttering and driver issues? From what I've read, SLI has been the better solution over XFire, and if the game can take advantage of the SLI, its quite a big increase in performance

I've had a crossfire setup before and the driver issues don't exist with a single monitor setup anymore. I will say that going to SLI over a single card setup is rarely a better choice. It uses a lot more power, you may have some driver compatibility issues with some programs, it creates a lot more heat, and will be louder. Does it offer more raw horsepower? Yes, but you can still sell your 760 for quite a bit while it's still the current generation of Nvidia card. I would agree to SLI your 760 if you were playing other games but for BF4, AMD is the clear choice with the option to Crossfire a more powerful card later. Currently the 280X should be enough for a single 1080p monitor.

Thanks for the reply, those are some good points. From everything I've heard, going to SLI or XFire is hardly ever the better solution because it just increases the heat/power and can have driver issues. I just always see lots of people that end up using a dual-card setup and maybe thats because they would rather just buy another card to get a boost in performance over getting a new GPU a year or two later. But then I just ask myself, if you are going to spend $ to get another card to SLI, why not just spend a little more and get a new single GPU? Overall, just very confused about where to go from here.

Would my best approach be to wait for the benchmarks on BF4 to come out and see how the 280x performs compared to my 760? Because DICE has come out and said that BF4 will be optimized for AMD, it makes me sort of regret pulling the trigger on this GTX 760.

One other minor thing I'm thinking about is the fact that the new 200 series AMD cards arent included in the Never Settle games promotion. And I could sell that coupon to take less of a hit with this upgrade if I went with a 7970 for example.

TL;DR I am just so confused with what to do...thanks for the opinions thus far tho
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 16, 2013 7:33:30 PM

subhadeep082012 said:
bbarber718 said:
Quote:

Dont sell the 760 right now!Wait for the benchmarks but if you got another 760 you could have reached upto a titan

I just recently bought a sli mobo which will open doors for sli/crossfire which the mobo i had was able to do 4x crossfire only :( 
a b 4 Gaming
a c 128 À AMD
a c 330 Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 535 U Graphics card
October 16, 2013 8:01:31 PM

$250 for Titan-level performance,,, hell yeah! Why are you even asking this question?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 16, 2013 8:07:34 PM

bbarber718 said:
FarmPC4 said:
bbarber718 said:
subhadeep082012 said:
FarmPC4 said:

I've had a crossfire setup before and the driver issues don't exist with a single monitor setup anymore. I will say that going to SLI over a single card setup is rarely a better choice. It uses a lot more power, you may have some driver compatibility issues with some programs, it creates a lot more heat, and will be louder. Does it offer more raw horsepower? Yes, but you can still sell your 760 for quite a bit while it's still the current generation of Nvidia card. I would agree to SLI your 760 if you were playing other games but for BF4, AMD is the clear choice with the option to Crossfire a more powerful card later. Currently the 280X should be enough for a single 1080p monitor.

Thanks for the reply, those are some good points. From everything I've heard, going to SLI or XFire is hardly ever the better solution because it just increases the heat/power and can have driver issues. I just always see lots of people that end up using a dual-card setup and maybe thats because they would rather just buy another card to get a boost in performance over getting a new GPU a year or two later. But then I just ask myself, if you are going to spend $ to get another card to SLI, why not just spend a little more and get a new single GPU? Overall, just very confused about where to go from here.

Would my best approach be to wait for the benchmarks on BF4 to come out and see how the 280x performs compared to my 760? Because DICE has come out and said that BF4 will be optimized for AMD, it makes me sort of regret pulling the trigger on this GTX 760.

One other minor thing I'm thinking about is the fact that the new 200 series AMD cards arent included in the Never Settle games promotion. And I could sell that coupon to take less of a hit with this upgrade if I went with a 7970 for example.

TL;DR I am just so confused with what to do...thanks for the opinions thus far tho

Buy another gtx 760 and call it a day...At 1080p you will be set and still 2 760s will beat a 1 770

And at 250$ YOU CANT LOSE!!! :) 
October 18, 2013 5:11:40 PM

I always love it when people say, "Always go for the higher end, single GPU solution over sli or xfire."

A few pages later, in the same forum, the same people will say, "Buy a cheaper GPU, because you can always add another later."

So which is it? The "add another later" option is rarely ever cost-effective. The prices don't get THAT much cheaper, and the cards get harder to find after a while. May as well save for another month and then just by a new single GPU solution, right?

Can't have both, but people like to talk about both. ;) 
October 21, 2013 5:31:26 PM

Pretty ez, a few fps faster than titan in alot of cases. I can honestly say I'm going the dual 760 route with EVGA here. The 760 is another one of those badass value for $$ cards in nvidia‘s history, pretty much 100% faster than a 560. (Imagine intel haswell being 100% faster than a sandybridge), performance gaps this big don't happen everyday.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/07/07/c...
a b U Graphics card
October 21, 2013 7:07:29 PM

FarmPC4 said:

BF4 on complete ultra on a 1080p res uses 2.6gb of vid ram so i would go for the 280x

October 22, 2013 12:41:08 PM

Here is your issue, achieving the 144 FPS mark. The best single card solution you offered would undoubtedly be the R9 280x in non reference design. However, a single 280x at ultra setting will probably be getting you about 45-50 average FPS. If you take a peek at all the card reviews for BF4, the AMD has lower top end FPS than the gtx770, but has a much higher level of playability because there are less extreme peaks/dips in the FPS.

I looked at the same issue, but included also the gtx 780. In my possession at the time of decision, I had a 66ti dcuii top, and a gtx 760. I opted to go for 2x R9 280x (asus direct cuii top) and crossfire them, it was cheaper than a gtx 780, and will blow it out of the water as far as BF4 performance. Also, add in the fact that the amd has 3gb vram, and huge OC potential.

If you are wanting to keep you upgrade below $400, take a look at the Asus R9 280x Direct CUii Matrix Platinum edition. It is the top tier model, but has a larger cooler which prevents most case solutions from supporting it in crossfire, but it is probably the sub $400 best card out there.

Hope that helps. And either way you will have an enjoyable gaming experience with any card mentioned, now your just pulling hairs picking the perfect card, and that is different for every person.

2x R9 280x Asus DCUii top is $618 shipped from newegg.
October 30, 2013 7:54:55 PM

bbarber718 said:

I have excacly the same dilema which brought me to your post i to was thinking to adding a second gtx 760 for sli i can get the same card i own for £185 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the other options the main answer to my querys is are.... Are 2 gtx 760,s in sli mode twice the power of a single gtx 760 and at a £185 to upgrade is this the better option....Let me know what you decide as i to am upgrading to play bf4

October 31, 2013 7:27:48 AM

I did end up purchasing a second MSI 760 and now have them running in SLI. I also bought one of the ASUS 144hz 1ms monitors to go along with it and I can say that these things are pretty beast. In Battlefield 3, at Ultra graphics @ 1920x1080, I would be getting probably 90-130 fps. I have yet to play Battlefield 4, but will be getting it this weekend to test that out, but I expect similar results. After setting them up in SLI, I configured SLI, booted up into BF3 and was getting great performance. I have not really seen any microstuttering or tearing that I had heard about, and the temperature is not bad at all for having a second card. I do have a nicely ventilated case and my motherboard MSI G-45 (highly recommend as well) has excellent spacing between the cards PCI slots. Granted, they did just drop the price of the GTX 770 and 780 which make my decision a bit harder to swallow, especially because I just got 1 game instead of the 2/3 they are now offering with their holiday deal. But if you are in a similar situation and already own a 760, I would highly recommend it. I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling the card and getting something else to replace it. Overall, they have quite a lot of graphics power when you SLI them and I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Thanks very much for all of the helpful discussion. The debate between SLI and single card solutions is always interesting to hear both sides. I plan to keep this solution for 2-3 yrs then think about upgrading again. Have a nice day and LETS GO PLAY SOME BATTLEFIELD 4!!!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 31, 2013 10:07:52 AM

bbarber718 said:
I did end up purchasing a second MSI 760 and now have them running in SLI. I also bought one of the ASUS 144hz 1ms monitors to go along with it and I can say that these things are pretty beast. In Battlefield 3, at Ultra graphics @ 1920x1080, I would be getting probably 90-130 fps. I have yet to play Battlefield 4, but will be getting it this weekend to test that out, but I expect similar results. After setting them up in SLI, I configured SLI, booted up into BF3 and was getting great performance. I have not really seen any microstuttering or tearing that I had heard about, and the temperature is not bad at all for having a second card. I do have a nicely ventilated case and my motherboard MSI G-45 (highly recommend as well) has excellent spacing between the cards PCI slots. Granted, they did just drop the price of the GTX 770 and 780 which make my decision a bit harder to swallow, especially because I just got 1 game instead of the 2/3 they are now offering with their holiday deal. But if you are in a similar situation and already own a 760, I would highly recommend it. I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling the card and getting something else to replace it. Overall, they have quite a lot of graphics power when you SLI them and I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Thanks very much for all of the helpful discussion. The debate between SLI and single card solutions is always interesting to hear both sides. I plan to keep this solution for 2-3 yrs then think about upgrading again. Have a nice day and LETS GO PLAY SOME BATTLEFIELD 4!!!

Trust me you didnt make a bad choice knowing that two way 760s beats a 780/titan

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_sl...
October 31, 2013 1:46:31 PM

760 is the better and cheaper option because you have a 760 already.
760 sli has a very good value
October 31, 2013 9:35:33 PM

bbarber718 said:
After setting them up in SLI, I configured SLI, booted up into BF3 and was getting great performance. I have not really seen any microstuttering or tearing that I had heard about, and the temperature is not bad at all for having a second card. I do have a nicely ventilated case and my motherboard MSI G-45 (highly recommend as well) has excellent spacing between the cards PCI slots

What kinda temps are you seeing? I am also running MSI gtx760s in SLI and in BF3 on ultra Im maxing around 80c.
November 3, 2013 6:21:08 PM

SLI the 760s and call it good.

If you were starting from scratch I'd say get a GTX 780 since they just lowered the price to $499 which is the same as 2 760s
November 6, 2013 8:07:53 AM

subhadeep082012 said:
bbarber718 said:

In the same situation, would semi-modular PSUs be recommended?
November 7, 2013 10:58:06 AM

I also to ended up buying a second gtx 760 as that was the first thing i purchased before upgrading my pc i started playing bf4 sp campaign and i set every thing to ultra and i then ran fraps to see my fps and it seemed not to go any higher than 60 fps so i started googling looking for ways to get higher frames and smoother game play as i thought the game was still struggling with my set up . I also for an interesting link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkfIFP0g2xY i,m pretty much a noob as the technicle side of pcs i,m the guy that bought a voodoo 4.5 gfx card just days before nvidia burst on the seen and left me with an obsolete gfx card . At the moment i have all the settings still on ultra 1920 x 1050 and ranging any thing from 200 fps to a low of 90 plus frames the only thing i turned off was v sinc as that seemed to limit my fps to 60 max .In my oppinion i think Bf4 was realeased to early inorder to get the heads up on the COD ghosts as i have tested this game to and i think it looks very good and has smoother game play in sp campaign
November 7, 2013 11:49:33 AM

Gazzamac71 said:
I also to ended up buying a second gtx 760 as that was the first thing i purchased before upgrading my pc i started playing bf4 sp campaign and i set every thing to ultra and i then ran fraps to see my fps and it seemed not to go any higher than 60 fps so i started googling looking for ways to get higher frames and smoother game play as i thought the game was still struggling with my set up . I also for an interesting link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkfIFP0g2xY i,m pretty much a noob as the technicle side of pcs i,m the guy that bought a voodoo 4.5 gfx card just days before nvidia burst on the seen and left me with an obsolete gfx card . At the moment i have all the settings still on ultra 1920 x 1050 and ranging any thing from 200 fps to a low of 90 plus frames the only thing i turned off was v sinc as that seemed to limit my fps to 60 max .

V sync limits your fps to 60, because that is the refresh rate of your monitor. The gpu is forced to wait until the monitor has fully displayed (top-down) its current frame, before it can send the next .frame
!