Gigabyte 660ti no display on cold boot.

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I am having this strange issue with my graphics card, there is no display on cold boot on both my LCD's. I took the card out and replaced it with a GTX 470 and that works fine on the pcie slot and that rules out the any power or short circuit issue. "BUT" once I replace the 470 with the 660ti it "boots" and I can run it fine and play games (crysis3, The Run, hitman) and afterwards I shut the computer of and unplug the main power cord for 5 seconds and plug it in and then try to boot and there is no display again on either of the Screens. The computer Boots properly in the background I can see the bypass LED on the Asus P8Z77-V doing the loop thingy and resting on the hdd and without any display windows boot.

I am no expert and this is my first time writing on this forum so anybody please help me figure this problem out.

My specs:
I7 3770
Asus P8Z77-V
Corsair TX850
500GB CAVIER BLACK
1TB WD CAVIER GREEN
160GB Velociraptor.
Asus Xonar DX

Try doing the exact same thing with the GTX 480 that made the GTX 660ti act up. If you can't duplicate the problem with the GTX 480, then the GTX 660ti is defective. If the same thing happens, then it's either you motherboard's power regulation/distribution circuit or your power supply.

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Tried the same method with the GTX 470 and it worked even after the cold boot sequence so I am leaning towards the 660Ti being defective I don't get it though worked fine for a year without any problem. I have a loose theory that the SMD capacitor on the top has shorted and is loosing capacitance. As soon as I remove it it discharges and once I put it back runs fine for hours and then no display on cold boot.