Using a bouncy house inflating fan/industrial fan to cool my GPU for extreme OCs?

Asp184

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
So I am the proud owner of both a bouncy house inflating fan (something like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FJ-25-Electric-Pump-Air-Fan-Blower-for-Inflatable-Bounce-House-or-Water-Slide-/390673994018) and an industrial strength fan (almost identical to this one, but with a different housing and it's on a hydraulic stand: http://www.amazon.com/Air-King-9230-Industrial-Velocity/dp/B000L9SUAM).

Just now, I posted about being unhappy with my reference GTX760 and how I wanted to change cards, etc. However, I think it might be possible to overclock the 760 an insane amount if I hooked up some sort of ductwork to the exhaust of the 760 and to the intake of the bouncy house inflator/industrial fan. Would this work? As far as I can see, this would be akin to any sort of push-pull setup in a radiator/high-end CPU cooler like my V6GT (although it would probably just be a pull setup since the puny 760 push fan would get utterly destroyed by whichever fan I decide to use for the pull fan). The industrial fan pushes air through it at an incredible 7400CFM and I'm sure the bouncy house inflator pulls some obscene amount of CFM as well.
This is just a proof of concept. I know there are practicality issues like managing the noise level, but I have plenty of ideas on dealing with that. So, would this work? Would the returns from this OC be diminished at a certain point?

Hi,

If you could pull this off then you'd still be limited to the ambient temp and the capabilities of the actual heatsink on the graphics card. Having said that the card's temps will much better.
Temps aren't the only limiting factor when overclocking though, you can only put a certain amount of voltage through a card despite the temps(to a degree).
You could try it out as an interesting experiment but I doubt the gains will be that great (compared to more traditional methods).

Asp184

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Indeed, I would be limited to ambient temp, but, if the air goes fast enough, would that really matter? And yea, I would be limited by voltage. Despite all that, it seems that you are saying that this would work somewhat. I guess that means its a go! lol
If I pull it off, maybe I'll PM if you're interested at all.

By all means try it out, I'd personally remove the GPU's current fan though, I don't think it would be a good idea to have your bouncy castle fan and the GPU fan fighting against eachother (even when one is considerably more powerful that the other).

Also all the warm air will be effectively blown into your case, so other components will be effected.

Anyway Pictures are a most, can't wait to see it :)

Yes!! Please post back so that we all can see the set-up and the results!

Yogi

Asp184

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Actually, I was planning on hooking up the exhaust of the GPU to the intake of the bouncy castle fan so air would be drawn through the case and the GPU's intake faster, rather than the air going out the intake at high speeds.
Granted, this will make designing the mod much more difficult since the intake is much larger than the output of the bouncy house fan. To test whether this setup is worth it, I may try blowing the fan into the case first, as you thought I would try to do, and see how the temps look, and then, if the project seems worth while, start to build something to fit over the the intake. I'm not sure.

Additionally, I could just turn the GPU fan off in Afterburner so it wouldn't be fighting with the bouncy house fan.

I sure will but I'm a very busy student (taking 5 AP classes) so I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. I want to make sure that you guys aren't disappointed if it takes me a while. :)

Enhhh. That looks quite ugly, would be a lot more work, and would take up a lot more space than my plan. Thanks for the input though. :)

Asp184

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Sorry, I've had the flu so I haven't started thinking about anything else regarding the design, etc. Should start work tomorrow.