Intel Broadwell Chip Release Pushed Back to 1Q 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
I read this right after the article of Windows 8 Ends Support In 2 Years.
Both articles have misleading titles and tomshardware needs to fix it.

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

i can guarantee a minor performance improvement of 5-10% hehe :)

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

It's a lot less likely because it will also be made on the same 14nm process.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

If you'll notice both of these articles have the same author.

Kevin does this all the time. Embellishes or adds emphasis in places in order to make the article seem more relevant or newsworthy.

He posted the Surface Pro article earlier which was also inaccurate in terms of content and mistakenly listed the Surface 2 as costing less than $100.

This is not the quality journalism that Toms is known for.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Yeah, right, they're pushing it back because of an issue. The real reason they're pushing it back is because they don't have any competition and can slow down their development cycle and make more money from their current designs. Once again, we're stuck with slower advancement because AMD hasn't been able to keep up.

It's not the architectural change that is stopping them, it's the process change. Skylake will be made on the 14nm process just like Broadwell

not according to the source of the article... the author of this article is wrong. according to the source, broadwell is a mobile part only, desktop is getting a "haswell refresh" instead.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20131015230058_Intel_Delays_Mass_Production_of_Next_Generation_Microprocessor_by_One_Quarter.html

Broadwell chips will only land into mobile computers next year, according to Intel’s plans. For desktops, uniprocessor servers and workstations there will be so-called Haswell Refresh microprocessors made using 22nm fabrication process. As a result, the volumes of 14nm products this year may be lower than traditional output using a new node.

InvalidError

Titan

Well, Intel's CEO said PIN-compatible... and he only said that this MAY enable SOME people and OEMs to upgrade their devices. Lots of conditionals in there so it really sounds like he literally means PINs.

Desktop Haswell uses LGA1150 but mobile Haswell are either BGA or PGA946/947. PIN-compatible = mobile/NUC/AIO/ITX/etc.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

AMD has zero to do with this delay. Intel has much bigger fish to fry than them. Broadwell is about closing the gap in the mobile space where ARM dominates, not about 1 upping and pulling ahead of AMD's desktop parts. (Or in that case 2,3, or 4 upping them...) And had you been referring to AMD's up and coming mobile parts, I'd say they have a pretty compelling APU offering where CPU power can be traded off for more GPU power (tablets and such), making the "intentional delay" argument even more unlikely. I would gladly swap my Ivy i5 in my Surface Pro with a next gen AMD APU and pocket the cost savings.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"I'll wait for a 100 picometer release. "

I know that is a joke, but to be serious... 100 picometer is less then the diameter of 1 silicone atom. So, it'll never happen. A silicone crystal has a lattice spacing of 543 picometers. So your 500 picometer dream is here by destroyed as well!

Suffice it to say a sub nanometer process isn't happening, not for silicone, and not for photolithography.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Silicone? Is Intel going to give up on CPU's when they need a sub nanometer process and switch to making breast implants?

InvalidError

Titan

Except Broadwell might not be coming to conventional desktop PCs - most recent announcements have been only about BGA and PGA models for tablets, laptops, ultrabooks, all-in-ones, etc.

Some of Intel's latest announcements say Broadwell will be a mobile/portable/non-traditional exclusive because the marketplace is becoming too crowded with 3-4 generations of Intel products competing against each other.

Considering how small improvements are between generations and how few people are bothering with upgrading on every product cycle, I think this makes a fair amount of sense - and future improvements anywhere other than the IGP department would likely have continued the trend of becoming increasingly small.

Status
Not open for further replies.