Graphics Card isn't working properly!

computerapprentice

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I'm having problems with my graphics card. I have a NVIDIA Galaxy GeForce graphics card, not sure what model and can't really check. This graphics card is somewhat old, but it's always worked until recently. About 2 weeks ago I shut my computer off and then when trying to turn it back on, the screen showed nothing. I figured out that if I flip the switch and kill all power to it and leave it for an hour or so and come back, it works fine, but whenever I shut it off, I have to do the same thing. I tried doing a lot of things I could find online such as removing CMOD battery and so on, but still nothing has fixed this problem. I switched it over to the inboard card and it works fine with my VGA cord. I'm using a DVI cord with the NVIDIA card and can't try a different cord, due to lack of another cord. If you guys have any suggestions as to what could fix this problem I'd sure be glad to hear it. I'm no computer wiz and could be doing the simplest of things wrong and not even know it.

Solution
Sometimes Just resetting the BiOS is all that is called for. Should make sure it is as dust free as ppossible to help keep the GPU and the CPU cool.
Sounds to me like one of two things.
1). A dying PSU
2). A dying graphics card

However, both of those things require you to spend money. So, first, let's rule out a few common fixes. Try replugging the card in to the PSU, as well as reseating it in the PCIe slot. Also, try using a different PCIe slot, if your motherboard has one. Clean out any dust, and check to make sure the card is being recognized in BIOS.

computerapprentice

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
i found the model #, it GeFore 9800GT, so not as old as i thought, but I ran into a new problem, it says it's DDR3, and i think my mobo's DDR2, so i'm not sure y it worked for so long if tht 's the case or if tht matter, n i'm not even sure if my mobo is DDR2 or DDR3, any suggestions? i'm working on cleaning all the dust now

I had one in the Desktop I gave my sister. They have been around a while. As for the Video Ram beiing DDR3, that isn't and issue. My mother board in that machine was DDR2 and had the 9800GT installed. Heck this thing is DDR3, but the card is DDR5. As I said, not an issue. If you are cleaning dust out the card, than that should help. You may also want to clean the heatsink over the Processor as well.

computerapprentice

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
alright, tht's good to know, but still i can't find the problem with it, don't think it's dirt like i said the problem is start up, after tht it's fine i just reset my CMOS to optimized defaults so maybe tht'll work, honestly i thought it would be a day at least until i got a reply i love how fast the responses were

computerapprentice

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
as for checking BIOS for the card, tht doesn't work, because it only has two options always use onboard or use onboard when there is no PCI since i only have one PCI, and control panel doesn't recognize it unless the monitor does or just doesn't altogether

computerapprentice

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
i've tried everytin, i just don't think it's working, must have died, i have another one just like it that another member of my family used n it died 1-2 years ago, i think i'm just outta luck, thnks for the help though