Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 8.1 Rolling Out Worldwide

Last response: in News comments
October 16, 2013 10:34:44 PM

About time , hope the update is smooth and makes 8 better
October 16, 2013 10:51:03 PM

It does make windows 8 better, honestly windows 8 isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Its faster, manages resources a lot better, and offers a lot of enhancements in the file system that really makes the OS solid. It runs a lot better on older machines, it revived our old machines at work quite a bit better then windows 7 does. We have been testing 8.1 for awhile now and it brings a lot of great changes especially for free but frankly i think 8.1 should of been what 8 was but at leased they are not charging for the update.
Related resources
October 16, 2013 11:00:01 PM

I agree, I do like Windows 8 myself and it is quite quick, I didn't download the preview so I'm looking forward to this update. Good to see MS is taking feedback and has made a few changes.
October 16, 2013 11:12:48 PM

Here comes the windows 8.1 dribble... is more like it.
LOL! As usual, the "its not that bad" comments from people who DO LIKE the win doze 8 turd.
October 16, 2013 11:17:20 PM

I remember when I ran windows 8 on my wife's think pad. (She is a computer novice). I fixed it when I murdered windows and installed LinuxMint. Boots up just as fast... rock solid and neither she or myself have problems using it. Other than a few pc games of course... but no biggie, the PS4 will take care of our gaming needs.
October 16, 2013 11:31:10 PM

@belardo.. Congratulations for the first TROLL post of many more to come.. If you hate windows and are so happy with Linux.. why are you reading or posting.. Just move along and play with your hobby OS.. maybe one day it'll be popular enough to run with the big boy's. Until that day.. enjoy your .01% market share.. the funny thing is there are more people using windows RT then Linux mint.. LOL..
October 16, 2013 11:45:29 PM

so glad I switched to Mint linux...ha
October 16, 2013 11:56:51 PM

8.1 does things to Windows Explorer that i totally hate... why the hell did they touch that ?

I don`t mind the Start screen, say what you want all the Win8 haters out there, but the Win8 start screen is better than Start Button with columns, it just takes a bit to get used to it, but the rest of the metro apps... totally useless, MS tried to do that to bring App Store to Windows and bring more revenue but it doesn`t happen.
October 16, 2013 11:59:14 PM

... Windows 7 F.T.W....
October 17, 2013 2:20:05 AM

I am using the MSDN full 8.1 version for 2 weeks now. Awesome improvements. Start button for me still makes absolutely no sense at all. I mean, we already had the same thing before, but with no Start button, we just need to mouse over the left lower corner and we would have the same effect. I had hopes that the resurrected start button had more options rather than just going to the start screen.

Finding new applications is still confusing. Yeah you can go to the All Apps section, but finding the new app you just installed is not intuitive. To avoid that I just type the name of the new app, way better, but for my wife for example, she's used to go through the start menu and find stuff, she's sooooooooo confused.

Booting directly to desktop makes lots of sense for the Enterprise environment. I really don't mind booting to the start screen. I even kind of like it.
October 17, 2013 2:23:31 AM

About Mint linux? WTF is that?? Why the heck are you bunch of morons bringing that to a Windows 8.1 conversation. Since you brought that up, why do ppl need another linux flavor with so many unsuccessful linux entries in the consumer market? (eat your own poison).
October 17, 2013 2:27:11 AM

meanwhile i'll be sticking with Windows 7 just fine. Wake me up when they came out with a Windows that has an actual start menu, a way to totally disable metro and an enable aero glass option. until then I could care less. Oh BTW toms' hardware had a review on Windows 8 vs Windows 7 and it's neck and neck performance wise overall So no Aaron you can try to stop selling Windows 8 as if you are to make Windows 7 look like Windows Vista compared to Windows 8.
October 17, 2013 3:02:50 AM

SteelCity1981 just install Start8 or one of the many other apps and the start button is there and better than ever!
TBH Microsoft needs to make a full blown Start button option or make it standard when a touch screen is not detected - problem solved.
October 17, 2013 3:23:07 AM

Had it since 2 months ago, I would say it's a nice improvement from Windows 8.
Faster, smoother.
October 17, 2013 3:30:06 AM

Tried auto-updates a few times since 00:00 PST but still can't get it here in the UK. I want to see how it reacts to a W8 system which already has a Start button and a menu.

I don't understand why they don't leave 8 alone for tablets and Windows phones and give everyone else a choice as whether to stick with 8 or move to 8.1.
October 17, 2013 3:33:22 AM

I've used linux since 2000, starting from redhat and slackware and the wistful days of gnome 2.x, with archlinux my current disto, but I'm also forced to use windows 7 & 8 at work because we use an egregious number of active x plugins. I think Windows 8 is a GREAT operating system that's noticeably faster than win7 even for the average user (especially on a hdd), and aside from the lack of boot to desktop option I didn't even miss the start button after two weeks. The charm screen is simply another start menu expanded into tiles. People simply need an open mind and some time to adjust to the new win8 interface. Headstrong comp sci undergrads will hate Microsoft no matter what they come up with. It was tragic watching windows 8 get such a bashing on tech sites because it's really great for everyday end users who just want to get things done. Even if you're a power user like me, there's always win+r and the command prompt to get the messy things done. I just don't see a single advantage win7 has over win8 other than its backward familiarity of interface.

MS bashing/linux chauvinism reminds me every time of 1) the initial lukewarm reception online of the Samsung Note series and 2) Apple's condescending marketing strategy that forces useless technology on lay masses. Most people in tech are young and male. And that demographic often overlooks the fact that 50% of the world is female, that 90% simply want to get things done, and that a great many of us are not in our twenties anymore.

Anyone 30 and over will appreciate larger fonts and screens. My father switched to samsung note after peering overlong at his iphone 6" from his face for two years. I'm thinking of switching too for the simple reason the small text size is starting to give me headaches. And the retina display? Do people really need more pixels than 2560x1440@27" much less on a 10" screen unless they're into graphics? And while I do think iPhones are prettier than Samsung's offerings, as a woman with average sized hands I usually find myself typing on my iPhone with two hands so Job's one-hand argument doesn't apply to us. Not to mention most laptop reviews favor keyboards with plenty of tactile feedback and activation force (e.g., thinkpad keyboards). I much prefer chiclet layouts with very short key travel, due to less musculature in my hands and longer nails. And any laptop over 2.7-8lbs is simply out of the question for me.

In short and put harshly, I think many hardcore techies, especially the young fresh-out-of-college crowd are often tunnel visioned in their product opinions. I understand why it happens, but I often wish the needs of the rest of us were better represented in tech product reviews.
October 17, 2013 3:49:43 AM

The most useful in the update is the smallest tile size, With that, I can pin a lot more of my frequent use stuff on start screen. I dont need to have many shortcut icons on desktop anymore
October 17, 2013 3:51:21 AM

tremec I have and as good as some of them try to be they still lack the features of an actual start menu. I want an actual start menu.
October 17, 2013 3:56:18 AM

The single one thing I hate most about Windows 8: taskbar always on top when applications have notifications (flashing title bar) going on. There does not seem to be any way to get rid of that.
October 17, 2013 4:20:45 AM

Steelcity1981, in the time it took you to compose your moan about the lack of a Start Menu you could have downloaded ClassicShell (which works with 8.1) and configured it, but I guess moaning is more constructive.
October 17, 2013 4:29:40 AM

Many people have been saying for years that if Windows can get viruses then why does Windows not ship with a virus checker built in, but certainly don't boycott using Windows or pour hatred all over them for that reason because there is a veritable theme park of free anti-virus options - same applies to the Start Menu today, so MS removed your favourite toy, the most it should have riled was a furrowed brow followed by "that's a bit annoying" then a Google search for "Start Menu Windows 8" and you will get loads of entries. For me some of the free ones are better than what MS could have done, for example ClassicShell also enhances your file browser with functions similar to Xplorer2, the Start Menu give 2 separate lists for normal programs but also Start Screen tile launchers - even if MS reversed themselves and gave your "vanilla" Windows 7 style Start Menu the 3rd party options are already better with more features
October 17, 2013 5:07:50 AM

Saga Lout said:
Tried auto-updates a few times since 00:00 PST but still can't get it here in the UK. I want to see how it reacts to a W8 system which already has a Start button and a menu.

I don't understand why they don't leave 8 alone for tablets and Windows phones and give everyone else a choice as whether to stick with 8 or move to 8.1.

Hey there you can't download it from Windows Update , you download it from the Windows Store on the Metro screen.
I'm downloading it now , its a very slow download and it keeps getting error messages....meh
October 17, 2013 5:20:14 AM

I recently tried Win 8.0 for the first time with a new Asus Laptop, and while it is pretty, the touch is intuitive, but the OS itself! is completely and utterly useless as teets on a bull. I find myself having to go sideways like a cat in a mirror to get anything that is on the forefront of my mind. Perhaps governments and the like are trying their best to continue the trend of dumbing down society to keep the money machine well oiled.

If I want to do anything productive, I thankfully have my mainstream gaming desktop PC powered forever to be by Windows 7 pro, until Microsoft dictates their way to get that deactivated. If that was ever to happen, I'll just fireup AmigaOS thereafter.

I will give 8.1 a shot no doubt on my laptop, and i still have to figure out how to even customise that metro screen, as currently it's stock and barrel (with Mcafee and some other malwares uninstalled) so the laptop will continue to be served as a kitchen appliance for some time.

I work in IT distribution, and you want to know the truth? Windows 7 oem still outsells Windows 8 by a healthy ratio of 10,000:1 to a 300 million dollar nationwide revenue of professional IT VARS and integrators.

MS Windows 8 is a complete dictatorship fail by MS, but who cares, they have more money to waste and experiment with, than we can 3D-print.
October 17, 2013 5:21:51 AM

monsta said:
I'm downloading it now , its a very slow download and it keeps getting error messages....meh

I had to try three times before Windows Store managed to connect to the server and then the download only went at ~100KB/s so I decided to pause it and try again some other time.

Does the Windows Store install offer to write a DVD of the install or a copy of its ISO/whatever file so I can burn it at some other time? If not, I should just find a torrent of the thing's ISO.
October 17, 2013 5:46:08 AM

r3dl1n3 said:
@belardo.. If you hate windows and are so happy with Linux.. why are you reading or posting.. Just move along and play with your hobby OS.. maybe one day it'll be popular enough to run with the big boy's. Until that day.. enjoy your .01% market share.. the funny thing is there are more people using windows RT then Linux mint.. LOL..

Bwahahaha! You're silly. RT is already dead. LinuxMint is doing fine... unlike winturd8, it works and looks like a modern OS. But I'll let ya in on a few secrets. First... technically there are far more Linux systems being sold today than MS. A little toy called Android. Heard of it? MS is below 24% market share when it comes to OS.

I use win7 everyday on my desktop with a nice 24" display. I still build win7 systems for clients. Yet I'm typing this on my android phone. My wife uses her phone more than anything. Most people get by with phones and tablets today... not needing windows. Win8 only made things worse with sales about 40% less than last years.

Other than ms office... most people have no need for Microsoft anything.

Microsoft failures are very public. Steve monkey-man firing, win8 VP firing, etc.

MS no longer behaves like a professional company. Their products have substandard elements. We warned them for months with solutions to win8. 8.1 fixes little... and its going to be funny as hell when they are confused as to why people are not wetting their pants over it. Proving again that MS has no talent or leadership.

My opinion is minor. But the market data shows truth.
October 17, 2013 6:03:34 AM

noblerabbit said:
I recently tried Win 8.0 for the first time with a new Asus Laptop, and while it is pretty, the touch is intuitive, but the OS itself! is completely and utterly useless as teets on a bull.

I work in IT distribution, and you want to know the truth? Windows 7 oem still outsells Windows 8 by a healthy ratio of 10,000:1 to a 300 million dollar nationwide revenue of professional IT VARS--.
why not buy a notebook with win7 included? Lenovo thinkpads come with win7 pro.
Win7 is the first likable OS from ms. Took that long to equal Amiga OS... Henry

Yep on install numbers. But M$ plays with the numbers. They can count their win7 OEM sales as win8 since those are downgrade rights. Like MS say they are selling out of Surface2 pros... but the UK is only getting 2000 units... no actual numbers. meanwhile, apple sells 9million iPhone 5 handsets in 3 days.
My win7 desktop will be my main computer for another year or so. I am migrating to linuxMint. Give it a try. Gamez is not an issue... as all AAA games are on console... PlayStation 4 is going to murder the xbone. I've yet to meet anyone who is actually planning to get one. I know about 20 people getting the PS4.

October 17, 2013 6:49:08 AM

Just applied the update. "Computer" got renamed to "This PC" ?? Pretty stupid. Good that it's easy to rename with the right click...
October 17, 2013 7:31:12 AM

back by demand what didn't you get when I said that they subs but they are not actual the real thing and I have tried classic shell and it still doesn't function like an actual start menu not to mention it looks kind of generic.
October 17, 2013 7:44:56 AM

I personally think this update makes Windows 8.1 much more usable. Out of the box it's good unlike before I really needed a start menu replacement.

If you have Windows 7 I still don't see a great reason to upgrade. I personally think Windows 8 is better but unless you have a touch screen there aren't enough improvements to justify the upgrade.

I was using Classic Shell with Windows 8 but I think I'm going to drop it with the changes made in 8.1 I can now go straight to the desktop and I can have the same background. The same background for the start screen and desktop is a huge improvement.
October 17, 2013 7:51:34 AM

I'm updating 6 machines at the same time. To get this update you need to go to the Windows store to down load and install.
October 17, 2013 8:52:37 AM

Steelcity, it gives you what you want - a Start Menu - it is more functional than the menu from Windows 7 but you hate it because it looks "generic" - that is a piss weak argument, how many other free Start Menu replacements have you tried?
October 17, 2013 9:03:20 AM

marck1001
'About Mint linux? WTF is that?? Why the heck are you bunch of morons bringing that to a Windows 8.1 conversation. Since you brought that up, why do ppl need another linux flavor with so many unsuccessful linux entries in the consumer market? (eat your own poison).'

Why are you so upset, boy? Something painful about linux happened to you? You can solve that. Feed Microsoft further and you are good. Moreover, people say with facing your fears and pains repeadetly you could overcome what burdens yxou. So, my humble contribution to that part - Linux, Linux, Linux, Linux, Lin ......

[applies to all people who has some fear issues with linux and especially with 'free of charge' software.]
October 17, 2013 9:12:08 AM

softplacetoland said:
marck1001
'About Mint linux? WTF is that?? Why the heck are you bunch of morons bringing that to a Windows 8.1 conversation. Since you brought that up, why do ppl need another linux flavor with so many unsuccessful linux entries in the consumer market? (eat your own poison).'

Why are you so upset, boy? Something painful about linux happened to you? You can solve that. Feed Microsoft further and you are good. Moreover, people say with facing your fears and pains repeadetly you could overcome what burdens yxou. So, my humble contribution to that part - Linux, Linux, Linux, Linux, Lin ......

[applies to all people who has some fear issues with linux and especially with 'free of charge' software.]

Did you stop to think that maybe some of us don't really have a problem with Linux so much as a bunch of arsehats coming into a thread about a Windows update and posting "LINUX LINUX LINUX WAHOO WINBLOWS IS TERRIBUL LOLZORS!!!"?...

The fifth post in a thread entirely about Windows 8.1 is basically a Linux advertisement proclaiming Windows useless. Who threw the first stone here? Here's a hint: the group that did should never have posted in this thread if it was to remain on topic.
October 17, 2013 9:19:15 AM

Just update my Surface RT, everything went smooth and simple. Awesome to have Outlook 2003 to help improve productivity. For the multitask stuff, I hardly think the poor Tegra 3 will be able to handle. So far, it seems the OS is more optimized and running faster. Frankly, my major disappointment with Surface RT was Tegra 3, but it seems that the SoC wasn't the only one to blame, I can see with 8.1, things are running way smoother, but obviously light years distant from a decent Intel chip (but light years cheaper).
October 17, 2013 9:21:05 AM

I mean outlook 2013 :p 
October 17, 2013 9:50:42 AM

Now if only it didn't fail to update.
October 17, 2013 9:57:15 AM

Steelcity, in what way exactly does ClassicShell have less functionality than a Start Menu from Windows 7? Missing Startup folder, has extra menu items for Tile Apps, gives Xplorer2 file browser enhancement - looking 'generic' is a very poor argument
October 17, 2013 10:17:53 AM

The worst, aggravating and irritating OS in the world.
This is the worst Windows of all time.
I hate, abhor and despise this crap of an OS that stupid Microsoft dumped on its poor Windows users.
This is not an OS for desktops and laptops. This OS was designed for smartphones.
Shame on Microsoft.
They better fix all the lousy and irritating features of this abominable OS and release a new and properly designed Windows 9 ASAP.
October 17, 2013 10:48:40 AM

Windows 8.1 launch is off to a roaring blank screen as their servers are down... I wonder why?
October 17, 2013 10:51:44 AM

Haldor, what part of the world are you in? I just finished upgrading my Surface RT and things seemed to be progressing as one might expect?

October 17, 2013 10:52:23 AM

JohnUSA said:
The worst, aggravating and irritating OS in the world.
This is the worst Windows of all time.
I hate, abhor and despise this crap of an OS that stupid Microsoft dumped on its poor Windows users.
This is not an OS for desktops and laptops. This OS was designed for smartphones.
Shame on Microsoft.
They better fix all the lousy and irritating features of this abominable OS and release a new and properly designed Windows 9 ASAP.

Works almost identically to Windows 7 aside from a few changes and is faster, exactly how little experience do you have with computers that you can't figure out Windows 8?
October 17, 2013 11:25:02 AM

Don't care 8 or 8.1 won't fix the stigma thats out there now with the majority. Win 7 ftw!
October 17, 2013 11:45:57 AM

Belardo, you say Linux Mint is doing just fine, then tell us how popular Android is - remind us again, apart from a tenuous link in they are both Linux based, how the success of Android makes Mint more attractive? Tenuous link is tenuous.
October 17, 2013 11:55:58 AM

soldier44 said:
Don't care 8 or 8.1 won't fix the stigma thats out there now with the majority. Win 7 ftw!

Luckily, you don't use the stigma as an OS - you use the OS itself. Is this your way of saying you'll only use an OS that is popular?

I fully support using whatever OS works for you. Windows 8 ain't for everyone - but it is most definitely the right OS for some people. If you aren't getting it because of the "stigma" when the functionality appeals to you, then the tech community is more like a tittering group of pre-teen girls than I thought it was.
October 17, 2013 12:48:53 PM

back_by_demand said:
Belardo, you say Linux Mint is doing just fine, then tell us how popular Android is - remind us again, apart from a tenuous link in they are both Linux based, how the success of Android makes Mint more attractive? Tenuous link is tenuous.

Sure, its not a multi billion dollar company... but Linux mint is one of the most popular versions. Its especially good for windows users. As loses market share to iOS and android... it means less need for an ms-os. Simple as that. Why else would ms panic and come up with this turd known as windows 8? The concept should have worked. I thought it would and looked forward to it... forward thinking. But actual use is bad... its unusable for my needs. Eventually win7 will be gone... and the metro UI or whatever will be left. Hence I'm migrating at my own pace. The cons on 8 are more than the pros. Its ugly, the ui is badly done. This is not 2000 or 2007... when ms had over 90% market share... sub 24% is devastating. I see no need to pay $100-150 for an os in the future... especially since I typically have 5 systems. Linux costs $0 and its a functional non NSA infested OS.
October 17, 2013 1:30:28 PM

@belardo
First mistake you made is calling Android and iOS a "Computer" os (you effectively did it when you compared their and Microsoft's share.) Brb, I'm going to go and write code on my Android-based PC.

Android is good, it just has a lot of fragmentation, same as the rest of Linux. And unless Linus somehow figures out how to fix that fragmentation of the OS without ruining the open-sourceness as well as other things, I'm afraid Linux is going to stay a Niche market.

And yes, I'm a Linux user. I dual boot it on almost all my machines. I've been using Linux since I was 10, actually. But due to the trolling you and others in some parts of the community do, I'm no longer running it on my main machine.

Now, your issues with windows 8? First you claim it to be unusable, what in the world could you not use it for? I do video editing, gaming, programming, ect. and have never run into a speed bump. You say 8 is ugly, which is really just your matter of opinion and therefore useless in this debate. You also claim the UI is badly done, but 8 addresses these concerns, and again, more opinion. Have you even tried getting used to it? Bring up something you can specifically pinpoint about what's wrong with it, and we'll talk.
October 17, 2013 1:56:35 PM

Updated from 8 to 8.1 and now Outlook 2010 has stopped working, will not start or load, cannot re-install because the 8.1 installer stops working every time, 8.1 will not even let me remove it from add/remove... All worked fine in 8....
October 17, 2013 3:00:51 PM

It's refreshing to see some positive comments, and to see the usual FUD squashed.

Win8.1 fixes most of my issues with W8. Dual monitor support, in particular, is very nice, and the resizable snap feature helps.

The complaints about the Start Menu are tiring. You can install a free utility to restore it. In W8.1 you can change the Start Screen to show a full-screen Start Menu, but I don't like it much, although it's admirably flexible. I like to the live tiles of the regular Start Screen, to see if I have new email etc.
October 17, 2013 3:01:23 PM

what? i'm still using Windows 7! I ain't paying 100+ to upgrade just to get some tiles on my screen
!