Experiences with PWM on Gigabyte Z87 UD4H

diepvriezer

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
I have a Gigabyte Z87-UD4H board which has four 4-pin PWM connectors. I want to connect my watercooling pump as well as four fans to the motherboard so I can read out RPM's and adjust duty cycle. I also have an 8-way PWM splitter from Swiftech, which has one 'main' PWM port which relays duty cycle and fan speed to the motherboard.

My plan was to attach all fans to the Swiftech splitter and hook that up to the CPU_FAN PWM port. My pump, the Swiftech MCP35X (also PWM enabled) could then sit on SYS_FAN1.

Somehow this doesn't work. SYS_FAN1, or 2 and 3 for that matter, always output at full voltage. I have set the fan speed settings in the BIOS to manual, which allows you to set a PWM duty cycle step per degree; so that's not it. It's not the pump, as putting that on CPU_FAN1 works perfectly.

Does anyone have experience with Gigabyte boards and their PWM settings? Am I missing something?

jFiveNYC

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
I am literally dealing with Gigabyte, and have been for two weeks.

The last response was absurd and they clearly have no comprehension skills. Additionally, they offer contradictory responses. One response indicates ALL fan headers except CPU_FAN are not PWM. But, another response indicates that they are in fact PWM, you only need to set the BIOS to Manual fan control.

I put my multimeter to the task of verifying that the CPU_OPT, SYS_FAN1, SYS_FAN2, & SYS_FAN3 operate only in variable voltage mode, regardless of the BIOS setting. There is only a constant 5.3V on the #4 pin, again regardless of the settings in BIOS. This #4 pin would normally carry the PWM signal.

Now, page 27 in the GA-Z87-UD4H user manual shows that pin #4 is VCC, not Speed Control for the SYS_FANs. If this page of the manual is correct, then why oh why do they offer PWM settings in the BIOS.

So I dug deeper to see if this was a misprint. The chip that concerns the fans is the IT Tech IT8728F Environment Control I/O. The Fan Speed controller feature of that chip can support up to FIVE separate channels of PWM control.

Turning to Gigabyte to ensure that my findings are not a bug or a faulty motherboard, has resulted in me smashing my head against the wall.

Here is what I have dealing with; pasted from Gigabyte eSupport tickets. Sorted newest to oldest.

--------------------

Email-ID: 10502-6
Question: I am attempting to inquire which of the statements provided by Gigabyte technical support are true. STATEMENT A: "2014 MAR 21 RESPONSE ; Email-ID: 10502-2 After checking with our team, all 4 system fan header on the board are Voltage, only the CPU fan header supports PWM." OR STATEMENT B: " 2014 MAR 27 RESPONSE ; Email-ID: 10502-4 ...The others threes are available for Voltage/PWM modes After you selecting Manual, they change to PWM mode and Slop option become available, the other options Normal, Silent and Disable will be related to Voltage mode." 3/28/2014 11:17 PM

Answer: The ticket is being processed.

--------------------
Email-ID: 10502-5
Question: Once again, your responses are contradictory; meaning one statement conflicts with the other statement. Both cannot be true. Below, I will make an attempt to simplify the situation. QUESTION: Which of the following two responses are TRUE? 2014 MAR 21 RESPONSE ;
Email-ID: 10502-2 After checking with our team, all 4 system fan header on the board are Voltage, only the CPU fan header supports PWM. -- OR -- 2014 MAR 27 RESPONSE ; Email-ID: 10502-4 ...The others threes are available for Voltage/PWM modes After you selecting Manual, they change to PWM mode and Slop option become available, the other options Normal, Silent and Disable will be related to Voltage mode. To repeat, only ONE of the above two responses are true. So to repeat the question: Which of the two responses above are TRUE; the first statement or second statement? Thanks
3/28/2014 6:07 AM

Answer:
To avoid any further confusing, please indicate what you are attempting to perform and we will double check with our team
3/29/2014 1:17 AM

--------------------
Email-ID: 10502-4
Question: So there is only one PWM header (CPU_FAN). Why is there an option to control the PWM slope of CPU_OPT, SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2/SYS_FAN3 in the UEFI BIOS settings, UNDER PC HEALTH STATUS? 3/25/2014 9:53 PM

Answer:
Dear Customer,

The 4th system fan with only 3-pin connector will be only in Voltage mode and no PWM mode available.
The others threes are available for Voltage/PWM modes
After you selecting Manual, they change to PWM mode and Slop option become available, the other options Normal, Silent and Disable will be related to Voltage mode.
What type of fan you are using for the cpu cooler, is it the retail intel fan or a liquid cooling kit?
3/27/2014 7:49 PM

--------------------
Email-ID: 10502-3
Question: So there is only one PWM header (CPU_FAN). Why is there an option to control the PWM slope of CPU_OPT, SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2/SYS_FAN3 in the UEFI BIOS settings, UNDER PC HEALTH STATUS? See attached JPG image Also, please address the previous question regarding the PWM fan still rotating while at 0%. The JPG image was attached to the previous email. Thanks
3/21/2014 9:01 PM

Answer:
We cannot verify speedfan as it is an 3rd party software, did you tried using the Easy Tune utility supplied with the board?
Make sure to install APP Center first prior to loading up Easy Tune
3/24/2014 9:57 PM

--------------------
Email-ID: 10502-2
Question: Your response is unacceptable. You also failed to answer the question or address the situation. Of course I attempted to use 4-lead PWM fans. In fact, I attempted several different model from three different manufacturers and yielded the same result. All SYS_FAN headers do not function with PWM, only variable voltage fan control. Even with PWM fans, the 4-pin SYS_FAN headers A) send a variable voltage on the #2 and B) send zero signal/voltage on the #4-PWM pin. Yes, the BIOS was set to MANUAL PWM slope. Additionally, the CPU_FAN header is still sending a PWM signal while at 0%. Notice the RPMs in the attached JPG. 3/19/2014 9:36 PM

Answer:
Dear Customer,

After checking with our team, all 4 system fan header on the board are Voltage, only the CPU fan header supports PWM.
3/21/2014 8:02 PM

--------------------
Email-ID: 10502-1 view
Question: Why does the PWM function, featured in the UEFI BIOS, under PC HEALTH STATUS, not function; on page 48 of the user manual? This feature is contradictory to the SYS_FAN pin diagram on page 27 of the user manual. So, does this board have PWM control on ONE or ALL the 4-pin fan headers? 3/17/2014 3:26 AM

Answer:
Dear Customer,

You must use a 4 pin fan in order to user PWM support
3/19/2014 10:51 PM