Budget Intel Build Priority:Gaming build [NZ]

officerbro

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hello I am looking at a budget build with the key point being gaming.

At some point I will be doing a small amount of video editing mainly 720p videos using free programs (Own a GoPro) and reasonable amount of amateur photography editing using both Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5.

I'm an Intel and Nvidia fan boy, I will not buy an AMD CPU but you could possibly convince me to buy a Radeon GPU.

The screen res will be 1920*1080 if this makes much of a difference to GPU choice.

I am from New Zealand which means good luck with pricing and shipping costs, I'm mainly asking with what I've got listed so far how will I go with certain items bottle-necking my system?

My build thus far consists of:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4430 CPU
RAM: 1x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte Overclocked GeForce GTX 660
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Intel H87 Mini ITX Haswell Socket 1150
PSU: Corsair VS550 Series 550W ATX
CASE: BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ITX Case - Atomic Orange

Thanks!

PhandaWolf

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Hi there :D So i wasn't quite sure on your budget for you haven't put it there however I've put this together for under $1000. I'm not sure about the prices of shipping and such in New Zealand so you will have to figure that out yourself. If you want you can change up some of the parts.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Q6Kr

officerbro

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Hi thanks for the reply. I wasn't asking for a build though. I was asking with what I've listed which item will be the bottleneck of the system? or is it a pretty balanced build I've listed?

Thanks

cooly515

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi.This looks like a great build but the only thing i would suggest would be buying 2 sticks of RAM rather than 1 and it will cost around the same price anyway.

officerbro

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

2x8gb or 2x4gb? My reason behind 1x8gb is it will allow me to upgrade to 16gb if 8gb isn't big enough for video and/or photo editing as I don't have the income to buy 2x8gb at the moment. I do understand RAM runs better in dual channel but because of circumstances I can't afford 16gb. Thanks!

cooly515

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

No i was suggesting you buy 2x4GB.

I think you are going to be fine editing 720P gopro videos with 8 gig of RAM , so 2 x4 Gig is definitely the way to go right now .
Just make sure its rated 1.5 volts or less

Usually the Radeon 7870 is cheaper and faster than the GTX 660 .

The corsair VS psu is fairly basic , and while it should work spending a little more on a quality PSU always seems like a good idea .

Use www.pricespy.co.nz
for best prices .