Did my PSU die?

Trias

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
My old system died and I'm getting ready to build a new one. I'd like to transfer the old power supply to the new build if possible. I think the unit is ok, but I don't have the means to test it independently, so I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the symptoms of my now-dead computer. For reference the PSU is a Seasonic SS-650KM.

The main issue was that my computer would crash whenever CPU usage exceeded a certain amount for a certain length of time. At first it only happened while gaming for an extended period, but eventually it would crash whenever CPU usage exceeded about 50% for even ten seconds. Most applications beyond word processing and basic web browsing were out at this point. Interestingly, although I couldn't safely watch streaming media anymore, video that was already on disk would not trigger a crash. But what makes me suspicious is that every time it crashed from this failure, it would not power back on - no post, not even fans - unless I manually cycled the power at the PSU first. And now it won't power on at all.

My working assumption is that the motherboard or the CPU was the point of failure, but I'm worried that it's actually the power supply, and as I said I currently lack the means to test. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

That does sound like a PSU though when something happens like this, there could be many things going on with your PC. There will only really be one way to test it, That is when you get your new PC and try it in there. A PSU can die many ways, It can blow up or it can just fail and lead to problems which confuse people to thinking it is something else. It can be a PSU but you can't know for sure. Usually it isn't the CPU or Motherboard in these circumstances but it does happen but it is just a matter of trial and error to try and pinpoint the problem. I think that you PSU should be fine though, But you will know for sure sooner or later.

lizardeyes9

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I had recent problem ,tried paperclip jump test on 600w Thermaltake PSU and it would power up 2 HD and aux fan, Bought new PSU just to be sure and same thing, in the end had to get new MOBO. No visible shorts on MOBO. Depending on mobo, i would try to go that route first.

You can never really know the problem until you replace parts. In most cases it is due to a faulty PSU, in other cases it is Motherboard or other random parts.