Question about Asus VG248QE Gaming Monitor

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
Question about Asus VG248QE Gaming Monitor

Is it correct that I should not have screen tearing if the game does not dip below 60 fps with a max fps of 120? I am also curious if this is damage from shipping, or something I have done. I will say I did have an HDMI and DVI dual link plugged in at the same time and the mouse kept going off the right side of the screen. It was fixed by selecting no extended displays. Here is a picture to get back to my point. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b54lnakqj04d8aj/monitor.jpg If you look closely there is a faint black line to the far right of the screen. It is even fainter on my monitor, but it is more noticeable from a side view and only really prominent with an all black/dark background. Thanks in advance.

Solution
If you do not have VSync enabled, you can get screen tearing anytime the framerate being generated by your GPU does not exactly match the refresh rate on your monitor (which for you is 144Hz). It just happens to be more noticeable when framerate starts exceeding monitor refresh rate (and when on-screen content rapidly changes from frame to frame, such as when you are moving the camera around really fast). But even if framerate is below monitor refresh rate, you can and will still get screen tearing. So there's no real problem here.

I'm not sure what the linked picture is supposed to show. However, screen tearing appears as a horizontal tear (the border of the tear runs across the screen in a horizontal line), not as any sort of black line.

aznricepuff

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
If you do not have VSync enabled, you can get screen tearing anytime the framerate being generated by your GPU does not exactly match the refresh rate on your monitor (which for you is 144Hz). It just happens to be more noticeable when framerate starts exceeding monitor refresh rate (and when on-screen content rapidly changes from frame to frame, such as when you are moving the camera around really fast). But even if framerate is below monitor refresh rate, you can and will still get screen tearing. So there's no real problem here.

I'm not sure what the linked picture is supposed to show. However, screen tearing appears as a horizontal tear (the border of the tear runs across the screen in a horizontal line), not as any sort of black line.

Solution

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013

Ok thank you for answering the fps part of my question. I posted a sentence after the picture saying that there is a faint black line like the one in the picture.