Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking to upgrade my Gaming Rig.

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
Share
October 19, 2013 10:16:13 PM

Hi guys! I'm looking to completely upgrade my gaming rig. This build is pretty much to run BF4 at High/Max settings at 60+FPS or lower settings to achieve 120+FPS. When I first built this rig it was a budget build, but now I want to pull out all the stops. Money really isn't an issue. So here's what I have at the moment.

CPU - AMD FX 4170 @ 4.2 GHz
GPU - ASUS 7850 2GB
MOBO - MSI 970 - G46
RAM - 8GB G Skill
PSU - Corsair Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE
HDD - 1TB - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"


I'm really looking to switch to Intel CPUs and maybe Nvidia?The 780 looks really nice, a used 690 .Depends if the new ATI cards are worth getting, but that's why I'm making this thread! :D 

Can you guys help me, please? I really don't know what to get. :( 

More about : upgrade gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2013 10:19:27 PM

If you could give even a soft number on the budget, it would help greatly. Even though you say "money isn't an issue" I doubt you'd be OK with it if I posted a $6000 system with Titans in quad-SLI.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 10:23:44 PM

Sorry about that! I'm looking to spend around 1 grand on upgrades, I can go over a bit if need be! :D 
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2013 10:31:23 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($316.13 @ Newegg)
Total: $865.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-20 01:30 EDT-0400)

I don't know what your case is like. I'll assume for the moment it can fit all these parts. But if not there's still room in the budget to add a new case.
Share
October 19, 2013 10:37:46 PM

aznricepuff said:
If you could give even a soft number on the budget, it would help greatly. Even though you say "money isn't an issue" I doubt you'd be OK with it if I posted a $6000 system with Titans in quad-SLI.


aznricepuff said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($316.13 @ Newegg)
Total: $865.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-20 01:30 EDT-0400)

I don't know what your case is like. I'll assume for the moment it can fit all these parts. But if not there's still room in the budget to add a new case.


Would it be worth it to get a 780? Or is the 280x on par with it? Should I upgrade my PSU as well? Just in case you needed to know I'm playing on a single 1920x1080 monitor.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2013 10:43:03 PM

A 780 is more powerful than the 280X, maybe by about 20%. It will however, cost you $350 more than the 280X.

EDIT: For 1080p gaming, 280X can already run BF4 at high/ultra at 60+ FPS. Getting a 780 would only be useful for greater future-proofing capabilities (or if you wanted to run closer to 120 FPS).

Your PSU should do fine. It's not the best quality model from Corsair, but there's nothing wrong with it. If you want to upgrade I suggest getting a Corsair HX or TX model at around 650W.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 10:47:48 PM

aznricepuff said:
A 780 is more powerful than the 280X, maybe by about 20%. It will however, cost you $350 more than the 280X.

Your PSU should do fine. It's not the best quality model from Corsair, but there's nothing wrong with it. If you want to upgrade I suggest getting an HX or TX model at around 650W.


In your opinion would you choose it over the 280X? Is 20% a huge difference? Also this is the case I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2013 10:52:49 PM

That case looks fine.

Personally if I were willing to spend $650 on a GPU, I would actually wait until AMD releases the R9 290 and 290X and get one of those.

To get an idea of what 20% increase means: where a 280X would get 50 FPS, a 780 would get 60 FPS; or where a 280X would get 60 FPS a 780 would get 72 FPS.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 10:58:34 PM

aznricepuff said:
That case looks fine.

Personally if I were willing to spend $650 on a GPU, I would actually wait until AMD releases the R9 290 and 290X and get one of those.

To get an idea of what 20% increase means: where a 280X would get 50 FPS, a 780 would get 60 FPS; or where a 280X would get 60 FPS a 780 would get 72 FPS.


I see. Thank you so much for your recommendations! :D  You've pretty much sealed the deal on what I will be getting. I'll just wait to see how the 290X cards are. Do you know when they will be released? Are there any benchmarks available?

m
0
l
!