Would Athlon X4 740 bottleneck HD 7790?

Solution
Probably not, though some games will bottleneck anyways (Think skyrim and Planetside 2 that hate AMD). Obviously I would never get a 7950 for a 720p monitor though. Your statement is correct, however it doesn't mean you'll play at lower settings than a higher resolution setup. All it means is that the CPU is strained almost as much as on a 1080p etup at 720p, but the GPU is stressed much less. Therefore you might not be able to play at higher settings than 1080p, but you will be able to play at the same settings. This depends a lot on the game. I hope that made some sense!

bodyslam

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Wow you think it won't bottleneck card like 7950 ,cuz it's a really high end card. I would not OC also.
Any problems for cpu if gaming only at 720p (with hd7790)?I heard lower res=more cpu intensive

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Probably not, though some games will bottleneck anyways (Think skyrim and Planetside 2 that hate AMD). Obviously I would never get a 7950 for a 720p monitor though. Your statement is correct, however it doesn't mean you'll play at lower settings than a higher resolution setup. All it means is that the CPU is strained almost as much as on a 1080p etup at 720p, but the GPU is stressed much less. Therefore you might not be able to play at higher settings than 1080p, but you will be able to play at the same settings. This depends a lot on the game. I hope that made some sense!

Solution