Does using an 8-pin CPU power connector on a 4-pin board result in less amperage?

mashineman

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my PSU since my old one only has 20 +12v amps, and for new upgrades my rig's needing close to 30 amps. All the PSUs I've looked at have 8-pin 12v CPU power connectors, but my motherboard only has 4 pins.

I've looked around here and already learned that plugging the 8 pins into my motherboard should work. What I'm wondering is will that result in only getting half the amperage out of it? Do I need to get something with at least 60 12v amps? Or am I just (hopefully) mistaken here?

you can use it with no problem at all, just take 4 pin from 4+4pins conector and plug it.(4 pin plug is sufficient for CPU's up to 120 watts )

Related to amps, depends on the PSU specs, so on a single rail +12v 40A PSU for instance, using the 8 pins will have 40A as using 4pin will have 40A too.

you only should be worried if your mobo uses 8 pins and your PSU has only 4 pins conector with unsufitient power , then if your CPU uses more than 120W you could have some power issues.

for learning some more basics you can read this tutorial
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1827969/things-acount-buying-psu.html