riser and OMG's career advice thread for dummies

http://isohunt.com/

P.S. Don't click the Terminator movie like I did.

I still feel a bit ill.

P.S. The thread topic changed ... don't blame me for trying to kick things off with domething humorous ...

Rey:

We have known each other for so long now, that I feel it is not worth it anymore.
Your heart has been aching for reveng against me for throwing away your favorite armadillo hat.
But, you are too shy to say that wish for my death.
In fact we both now what's been going on.
We know the game that people play,
And we are going to play it to survive; however, I feel it is unecessary.

And, if you ask me how I'm feeling about it,
Don't bother you're too blind too see that I am sorry.

riser

Illustrious
Thought you were doing a throw back to g**thum*ers there rey.

Sitting at a client site... spent the last 6 hours waiting for them to install a couple updates they were supposed to have installed a few weeks ago.

:lol:

Doggy lighten up or I'll have to fly over there again and slap you like last time.

Thats right ... I was the buslady ... buy your ticket like everyone else.

riser I couldn't work this out ... g**thum*ers did you mean "rumphumpers" ??

You people in the NSA can be so cryptic ... use English like the rest of us.

P.S. Please send me the Maralyn Monroe movie ... you know the one.

:)

riser

Illustrious
I left the gov't sector buddy. I got out of that headache.. I can't sit on here and preach my views with my insider info and all.

I saved $250,000 a year for the next 3-5 years though, so that's my legacy. Also $50k a year in that on some licensing adjustments I made. I easily returned the cost benefit for them.. unfortunately, too many others didn't really care and somehow have this mentality that if they don't spend it, they won't get it again.

Sweet ... I left Govt and went to the private sector too ... They pay you more money when you work harder ... I like that.

Sadly in the Education sector my life was boring ... the best I did was to introduce Project Based Learning into the Construction Trades in Australia.

Just watched "Enemy of the State" last night ... cripes that one was made for conspiracy nuts.

riser

Illustrious
Yeah but is Enemy of the State that far off now? haha I watched it a couple weeks ago.. it was old.. but you have to admit some of the stuff they were talking about has recently been made public. It was before its time.

Ah yes, the gov't, no raise to 2% every year, depending on how much they could increase their budget. But it did over pay most jobs. If you were unskilled or low skill, you were paid very, very well. If you had a skillset, you weren't paid anymore. To be honest, the guys who cut the grass using a riding lawn mover (granted it was hundreds, if not thousands of acres) made as much as I did. The janitor made $15/hour LESS than what I did.. and she just had to take out garage and clean 4 bathrooms a day.

Its sad when people on your helpdesk refuse promotions because the work load increases significantly while the pay doesn't. The average amount of time on our helpdesk was 8-9 years. No one wanted a $10k promotion to start going on call, working longer hours, and having more work to do.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
It's pretty hard to fail at cutting grass.

On the other hand, writing that report or whatever puts you in a lot of stress.

Given the choice and sound financials, I would be the lawn mower.

riser

Illustrious
Exactly.. so a lot of basic or low skill workers are being paid very well for their work, while highly skilled workers are being underpaid. There is no secret that the US gov't is experiencing brain drain. They're trying to fight against it, but when you provide everyone a blanket raise and pay doesn't match private sector, issues pop up.

The guy cutting the grass is making more than he can in the private sector for a 7-5 job, Monday through Thursday. On the other hand for skilled workers, they try to keep the pay down or are significantly under the private sector. In that case, it's better to go into the private sector than stay in public. Thus the brain drain for skilled workers while flooding the gov't jobs with unskilled/basic/low skilled workers.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

I have two friends that own thier own lawn companies and aftter the price of gas went up their profits dropped. Both complained about the rich guys holding owed money over their heads and got a few months behind the terminated the service. One guy had to take a part time job at UPS to make up the difference....Mowing lawns is not what it used to be!
Now if you only get commercial work that is another story but they get burned too...i

riser

Illustrious
Anyone paying someone else to mow their lawn is rich. I read that some rich people fail to pay on time. I conclude with some people, rich, poor, or in the middle, are slow or fail to pay bills. Just because one is rich doesn't mean they pay all their bills on time or have a revolving door for people to take said money. I know 'poor' people who pay everything on time and I know rich people who pay things late. Poor people can't afford the late fees, rich people can.

That's if you're in your own business. The people I mentioned were working for a company and only had to maintain their own lawn.

The hard part about the business is gas prices can change rapidly and they're working on pre-set contracts. It's hard to gauge what you should charge. I would suspect you would want to make about a 25% profit per job. This would allow for gas price changes or other events to come up. In the worst case scenario, you want to break even on a single job. If you maintain your higher profit margin, you can eat a job here and there as needed but maintain your company health.

Any luxury business.. and let's be clear, paying someone to cut your grass is a luxury, is heavily impacted when the economy goes down hill. Just as those lawn moving companies up north switch to snow removal for the winter, if the winter isn't bad, they don't make money. If the winter is bad, they make a killing. It's all about how a business is managed. There is a reason most businesses fail in their first year.

When I had my house, I paid a service to cut my grass on the same day every week. Some times they got behind and would show up a couple days late. Or other times the grass hardly grew but they came by. I always paid, but what bothered me is that they would be late and the grass would grow a little long, and then they'd cut it 2-3 days late and then come back in 2-3 days and cut it again. At one point they attempted to raise rates while doing a subpar job; I changed service on them and they got pissed at me. They wanted to charge $30/cut but I found another company that would do the same job for $19/cut. Previously I was paying $22 before the $30 number came about. I'm very business friendly, but if you're doing a poor job and in order to make that up you want to charge more, your business is in trouble and I want no part of it.

Either way, that's the risk of going into business. Should we care to bring up taxes on small businesses such as your friend's? :) Or what his plan is should his business grow to the point of employing enough people he's forced into providing healthcare? :) Starting, running, and succeeding with a business is likely one of the hardest things to do successfully.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

The cost of mowing a 1/4 acre lot with a home on it is $75 a month and the majority of homes in my area are that size. I should have specified the term "Rich" for you in which the way the term's definition was used by my friend.
The median home price here is ~$200k. The term "rich" is referring to the guy that has 5 acres on the river, a $3Million dollar yacht and drives a $180k Mercedes not including his play toys. The property has a 6500 sqft home on it and the property is mostly lawn and does it for $1000 / month after beating him down from $1250.
I went to Mr “rich” guy’s house to use MY Husky chain saw because my friends was broken ( I quit lending out tools a looooong time ago) and dropped a huge Oak, some smaller ones and pine tree for $200. A guy walks up and says "$1200 to remove them is outrageous!" He looked like a rough care taker and I told the guy "it's a fair price and you have no idea what you are talking about. “ And acting like I worked there said “we are licensed and insured, it cost money to do that."
The guy blew up on me and told me to get off of his property. I said OK then pay me $100 for the work I've done. He said he was calling the cops and by then my friend arrived. He calmed the guy down saying he will deal with me and kept me from earshot of this scumbag. I was told charging $1200 allowed him to make about $350 and he needed the money.
After the job was done Mr Cheap ass cancelled the service after being behind on his 2nd monthly payment and not paying the removal of the trees. After threatening the guy with a lawsuit dickweed said would pay $2000 if the lawsuit was dropped. And to avoid losing even more time my buddy took it.
His regular $75/mo working stiffs pay every single month, pay extra when told there needs weeding to be done. This wealthy guy and the other 7 he has act as if it is a privilege to work for them and always want stuff done for free, complain about why fertilizer and fungicide are so expensive. They tell him to use considerably less supplies and then complain his service is lacking personal attention because after doing what they said. None pay on time, take his advice seriously and usually he has to their home after hours to “get a check” instead of them mailing it to him. Ask them to use a credit card and they will get pissed.

It’s a small town here and bad news spreads, now my buddy has been threatened with a lawsuit by two of his “rich” customers for telling people what happened while working for them. None have filed yet but the threats were made…….. All in a little old town in Breeevard county, Florida.

We get people like this at the restaraunt.

There are those who have available or expendable income that come parton our business who think they have the right to boss around our staff, berate them for nothing, and demand services we do not offer to the public. Well, the customer is always right, right? There induviduals usually are well above the median income and have some sort of entitled attitude. Now, there are exceptions to the rules. We have some wealthy induviduals who parton the facility who are generally nice to even the crappiest of waitress for teh crappiest of nights...when we are slammed. They tip well, say thank you, and return with postive feedback another time later throughout the year.

You also get people who are middle-class and poor who eat here. Same thing: You get the assholes and the saints.

While what I have heard and witnessed is those with higher income and available resources,(aka: 'the rich'), tend to have a more 'bossy' and 'demanding' attitude while those who are 'average' tend to appreciate our services. We do our best.

This guy you mentioned having done work for sounds like a person who may be antisocial in nature, not necessarly because he is rich. There are generally nice rich, middle, and poor people. It is just that...well, assholes tend to live amongst us, and you just met one.

Keep Calm and Carry on. Kharma is a real bitch. Just remember that.

riser

Illustrious
@Beach

Put yourself in the "rich" guy's shoes. How many people try to take advantage of them daily? Though, they need to realize a business transaction as one. I already know having trees removed is easily $1000-$5000 from an average size for a decent sized tree. Often, those people are out of touch with costs. Clearly he was in the wrong and probably doesn't respect the job or the amount of work that goes into it. Everyone has a story and their life experiences. You did right by telling him it costs money to maintain the business and you still have to make a profit.

Want to see poor people do the same thing? Sell something on craiglist's list. Then you'll see it isn't just rich people. Though, I would say that you do show predisposed expectations of the rich guy that he would promptly pay. I know people who have huge houses, nice cars, that make a ton of money but they're living paycheck to pay check. Then I know someone who makes $11/hour, has a nice new car, modest house, and retired at age 60 and won't have to worry about income again.

When I see someone driving an expensive car and a big house, the first thing I think is "damn, they're heavily in debt." One of the major rules "rich" people live by is to never get tangled up with a large estate. So yeah, he has a $3 million dollar house.. but how much money does he have left over? You don't know.

You ask the guy making $30k a year if $50k is a lot, they'll say yes. Ask the guy making $50k a year if $100k is a lot, they'll say yes. Asking the guy making $100k... with each increase you can be more comfortable but you can always be put in an uncomfortable position.

In fact, there are 3.5 million jobs in the market right now with the average salary of $55k a year. Every year these jobs go unfilled, not because people aren't paying, but because they don't want to learn the skillset. An oil company invested millions of dollars in creating 15,000 job on the gulf coast. It collapses because too many people quit citing the $55,000 a year wasn't enough to work outside in the heat. That goes to show, to me, that people don't know what goes into a job and what you get out of it.

Removing a tree isn't a joke. That's dangerous and skilled work, from climbing it properly and trimming it down. Even climbing a health tree you don't want removed may take hours just to get to the top without damaging the tree.

Personally, I find that people making about $150,000 a more start losing touch with how much $20 is actually worth.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

$55k is not great money everywhere, that's barely above poverty in SoCal though and if it's away from home it's even lower.

Not all wealthy people are A holes but some really take the cake. I worked at a tourist trap in Florida for 30 years on an off and met plenty of multi millionaires from crime boss attornies to movie stars to CEO's from fortune 500 companies. Most were pretty frigging cool and happy to be traveling, there were the occasional jerks that treated their wives like shit. What I found out was that the guys that made their millions in manufacturing or were hands on knew the value of a dollar and the value of hard work.
People who inherited money fell into two classes, going through it quickly and those that were the cheapest SOB's on the face of the earth.
I also met some of the wealthiest people I'll ever know that weren't afraid to take off their shirt and swing a sledge hammer for a few hours. I helped a few couples do their own remodeling but they loved to do the demo work themselves. One couple was a 54 year old guy with a really attractive 30 year old girl, hard workers and they knew the value of a dollar!
They were up front and said they would pay me a fair wage. I worked with them for two months after hours and was paid weekly like they said they would, great folks.
It's the el cheapo wealthy ass crap heads that live in these homes that areprobably beyond what they should be living in and expect everyone around them to cater to their demands...

Ever seen a 8500 sq ft home with no Cat5e run through it? I have and gave the owner a bill of $2400 to run them everywhere and include the repair of drywall but not paint. The guy acted as if I asked to screw his wife...get this too, he owns a communication company. When he said he could swing a grand I just said no I don't work for peanuts and smiled then left.
Later he called back and we agreed on $2200. He actually said after the job was done people usually do what he says and take the job. I laughed and just thanked him...I was polite and ended doing the wiring on his father and sister's homes

riser

Illustrious
$55k is a base average. Areas of high cost of living excluded.. but then again, the average America makes $55k a year.

I agree with you, the people who have worked and earned it are better off and nicer people usually. I knew one guy who was going to inherit a fortune and when he made some stupid decisions and cited he didn't care because he was going to be rich, his family kicked him out and took away everything. I went to his house and you.. gotta check out what rich people have and all. But they shopped like everyone else, Kraft Mac & Cheese and all even though they could afford pricey stuff, they were down to earth.

My friend's father worked his way up from janitor to eventually owning his own company. No one can BS him because he's worked every job in his company. He always drove a modest car, lived in a modest house, you'd never know he was a millionaire many times over. Super nice guy. He used to take us to his company's private country club. $25,000 a year just for membership and every employee gets access for a week or when available. Company foots the bill they rack up as long as its reasonable and not overly excessive. But you walk in there and everyone is smiling and waving at you. He told me they did that because everyone knows if you're in there, you've worked hard to make it. It wasn't the ritzy kind of place some schmuck with a lot of money would go and be flashy.. it was a nice, relaxing, hey I worked my ass off and want to relax kind of place.

Unfortunately, rich people often get the blame for being aholes and all. Truth be told, most people either don't know a wealthy person or have such a limited experience with them that they label them all the same after meeting one person.

Fun fact. The majority of people that Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe followed around doing all those jobs, those guys working their butts off were already millionaires. They cited that the hardest part about hiring someone for good money is that people didn't want to learn the skills or get dirty/be uncomfortable. Jobs are out there, it's just a matter if people are willing to work and can swallow their pride that they might have to actually get dirty and learn what that really means. I know a farmer who has made millions running his big farm selling quality stuff. None of his kids want the farm because it's too much work, even though you only really part time. He's giving the land, farm, and business to his farm hand who has been working it for a decade with him. Figured his kids would just sell it when he died, so he's giving it away to the guy who wants that life. It's over a $1 million in land alone, not including equipment and 6 houses on the land, barns, sheds, etc.

To add to your Mike comment: you may not like Maher, but here is Mike stating the same thing you said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YhhMHdNY

riser

Illustrious
You can't argue with the guy. He's done the jobs and he's well traveled. Today, everyone wants a white collar job. You don't see someone talking about aspiring to be a mechanic or a plumber. Ex-GF's father was a plumber knocking down high $100s with himself, another worker, and his wife doing the books. Good jobs, but when through K-12 do you ever get exposed to those jobs? Only outside of school; After that, college you have no clue about the jobs at all.

I meet so many people who have no clue what they want to do.. mainly because they have no idea of the jobs that even exist.

Here is a dirty little secret: All sectors need workers.

STEM, Technical, and Trade are the three biggest sectors that are expanding faster than the rest of the private sector combined. Talked with my grandfather few months ago and said a Pape' plant in the Midwest, needed 20 machinest. The guys who are coming out of High School cannot even do ASMD mathematics. The requirement: An AA in techincal training with machine background. That is it. Yet, it is not advertised out to the American people.

This is a problem i have with the current society. There are jobs out there...no one is saying where they are and what they are. You may occaionally hear about a new plant opening up, but no one informs you. Nor are there any 'help wanted' signs and employment advertisements. In a time where flipping burgers is the 'real job', these pay quite well.

Underwater welders: 200.00 USD/hr
Electrician: 50.00 USD/hr + commission on work
Plumber: 75+work
Machinist: 40 ks per annum with a raise to 60 afer 2 years

Here are some STEM averages:

General engineering: 55 ks per annum with a maginal potential between 77-122 ks per annum
Mathematician: 60 ks
Techonologist: 55 to 88
Programers: 88 base! with a potential for 100 ks!

You would think many of those who go to college end up with dumb degree. Well, then you are right! As fewer and fewer enter needed occupations, we will see a highe rise in many goods and servies: No machinists: must buy computers to build tractors. That costs $$$. No no electricians? Hope you like exposed copper wiring! Toilet backed-up? Deal with it!

The reality is that many a good jobs are not 'sexy'. Why work for something that will contribute to society when I can get my PH.D in fine arts! I hear they are opening up a Philosiphy factory in downtown Portland, Oregon!

/joke

Anyways. Debt, deciet, lack of knowledge, and an overall poor attitude that is replaced by sex appeal will cause a major shift in the market. Watch the collegiate system implode. People wil not bea able to afford college, therefor will not be attending, therefor not spending money, therefor not going to football games, therefor not generating income, which will lead to a price shock and a complete crash in tuition. Hopefully, it iwll happen soon. Personally, paying 200-300 thousand to get a 4 year piece of paper is absurd. No reason the milk the finacially strapped and ignorant young person. It is parasitic in nature.

riser

Illustrious
Which one do you want to be, the grease monkey or the guy holding the piece of paper.

The degree is worthless. The person is more valuable. The degree helps weed people out, but the schools aren't doing the job they were supposed to do anymore.