PS3 Becomes Top-selling Game Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
wait until the ps4 comes out with better grahics processing and 100 dollars cheaper the the xbox one sony will be ontop of the console sales market for a while.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
PS3 has recently exceeded XBOX360 in total console sales...80M units for PS3, 78M units for XBOX360: http://www.vgchartz.com/

Of course, Wii is still #1 with 100M units sold (and will probably continue to be #1 with that $99 price tag).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
But what percentage of those 78m 360s are dead due to RODD? back when there were only 30m units or so... failure rate was about 30%!

I've still yet to meet any person in real life who is going to buy the xBone. They are all PS4... as will I.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Better question is the attach rate.. how many games does the console buyer purchase...

that is how sony/MSFT/nintendo make their money
and why nintendo didnt make a huge windfall from Wii

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Yes WII has more units out there. Yet if you look at games being sold. Wii only makes up 10% of total sales on market for games on console. You may ask yourself how is this possible. Simple when it was a must buy that holiday season. I worked for a superstore retailer for the past few years. Most of the users who own WII don't even know that you can buy additional games for the system. I have had a dozen older people come in asking what they could do with the WII and I told them they looked at me with a awe. Most have just played the bundled games that came with the system. Next issue is WII has no games other than Nentndo games on the system. Debelopers like EA, Activision have tried to release games for the system but end up not selling enough for them to warrant to make addtional games. Most of the developers don't understand how to add motion control for the games so they do a piss poor job doing it. Its the same problem with kinnect for 360. Only a handful of developers have actually dont Kinnect properly. Most of them with Microsofts help. WII U issue is that most people don't understand thats its a new system. Alot of people think its just a WII with a new controller. WII U is basically the same power as a 360. Nentendo has done a horrible job informing people and naming conventions for this system. They also need to train developers on how to incorprate there new controller into games. It's having the same issue as the WII no developer knows how to properly add it to the game so its all after thought.

wcnighthawk

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
So basically the last runner finally crosses the finish line. What I mean is, since everyone already owns a Wii and 360, the only thing left to get is the PS3. Naturally they are going to sell more than the other consoles now.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

It is not that the last runner crosses the finish line, it is that the runner that was last in total consoles sold (the PS3) is now second, by overtaking the Xbox360 (that is now 3rd). The 1st runner remains 1st (Wii). Also, the only reason why the PS3 was behind the Xbox360 was because Sony released it 1 year after the 360. They're not making that mistake this time around. See this link for total console sales, Wii is 1st, PS3 2nd, Xbox360 3rd:
http://www.vgchartz.com/

Looks like free multiplayer finally made the PS3 2nd.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008

sony did not make a mistake. They were waiting for bluray drives to be ready for mass production. MS rushed the 360 to market as their Xbox 1 had already lost to the PS2. Hence the high failure rates with RROD... upwards of 30% for the first 30m 360 units. It was always silly to consider the PS3 a failure as its sales were always a year behind.

Also, in terms of value... the PS3 was always the better deal... once you spent $120 for the HD and $80 for the WiFi... not including the $200 HD DVD drive put the 360 on par with the PS3 in pricing. The bluray drive helped kill HDDVD and move the HD format forward... thank god.

Now for this round... both consoles start at the same time. But MS messed up big time with xbone as we all know and the extra $100 price is not helping. Even if the xbone sold for $400, its the loser platform. And developers will notice quickly... and like blu-ray vs HDDVD, they will make less exclusives for the loser platform.

Sure Wii is #1 in hardware sales... but bombs in software unless you are Nintendo. And since its nothing more than an updated gamecube... its $200 price made it an easy sell compared to the $300-600 360/ps3 consoles which were actually a new gen. Nintendo stupidly tried this trick again with the wiiU and its a failure. Wow... 360 tech for $360 with NO DVD or BluRay playback?! Even the ps3 is down to $200-250... and has a ton of software. I predict that wiiU will have one more Christmas... then Nintendo will give up and start making titles ONLY for the PS3/4. No 3rd party support... and with so few consoles means very little software sales which is their gas cow.

Then MS will lose this round... come up with the 4th Xbox in 2 years maybe 3... and attempt to win with technology horse power.

Status
Not open for further replies.