Nokia Lumia 1520 Details Leaked Ahead of Nokia World

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
As this is due to be the first and flagship phone for Windows Phone after GDR3 it was never going to have the 41MP camera on it from the off although 20MP is still rather high for a standard lens so it will be interesting to see what they have done to get there. I am sure though that early next year, perhaps around the time of WP8.1 we'll see the upgraded lens appear on a Nokia device and I think that is what everyone will be waiting for to finally move to WP. Windows Phone 8.1 with full HD screens, Snapdragon 800 processors, 64GB storage and support for SD cards, wireless charging and then the PureView 41MP Camera... What more can you want?

It will be interesting to see by next summer just how manufacturers will try to entice us all to upgrade any further.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
As this is due to be the first and flagship phone for Windows Phone after GDR3 it was never going to have the 41MP camera on it from the off although 20MP is still rather high for a standard lens so it will be interesting to see what they have done to get there. I am sure though that early next year, perhaps around the time of WP8.1 we'll see the upgraded lens appear on a Nokia device and I think that is what everyone will be waiting for to finally move to WP. Windows Phone 8.1 with full HD screens, Snapdragon 800 processors, 64GB storage and support for SD cards, wireless charging and then the PureView 41MP Camera... What more can you want?

It will be interesting to see by next summer just how manufacturers will try to entice us all to upgrade any further.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
@vinay2070

Today Nokia will host an event and they should also show the Lumia 1320 (alias Lumia 929). It has a 5" screen, a Snapdragon 800 with a Adreno 330, 32Gb storage, 2Gb RAM, LTE, etc ...

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Awesome, they should have paired the Lumia 1020 with powerful hardware so the 40mp pictures wouldn't take so long to capture or load. I loved my first smartphone which was an LG Optimus 7 but LG's quality is questionable at best since that model suffered from a stuck on boot issue which makes it useless. Using an iPhone 4 now and can see the appeal with the apps, I can find anything on the iPhone but that doesn't mean its better, I had a lot of apps on the Windows phone that were better than what I have on the iPhone, especially my beloved PC Remote Server app.

Next phone on my list is an HTC One. I want to see what all the fuss is about with Android.

hannibal

Distinguished
Great hardware and luckily in runs Windows8... Why, because it meanst we now have great hardware options in Android, iOs and Windows platforms. So far windows8 has not been supporting very highend hardware. Now users can chose a phone they like, with operation system that they like!
For me these highend phones are too expensive, but they have a halo effect, and these specks will come down to middle range phones in few years, so this is a great thing for competition in phone busines!
For me the 1320 is more interesting case because of the price but hopefully there will be 5" version too because I have not so big hand and so the 5" size for a phone is more suitable, but I am sure that that 6" version allso have succes among those who like big phones. It is important to have good specks in different sizes!

hannibal

Distinguished

The windows phones where behind Android and iOs phones in screen resolution and CPU cores somewhat before this upgade. Not baddly but a little bit. Two cores where maximum and screen resolution was 720p or something like that. Not bad specks and still the most sensible to have from battlery usage perspective!
So not anything too important in that respect! The next big upgrade in Windows phone hardware would be maybe even higher resolution (for phablets) and 64bit prosessors, but there is no hurry in there. Maybe at the same time they plan to put WinRT and WinMP together in 2015...

Core count alone is completely irrelevant. WP7 was designed to be as efficient as possible on a single core and it ran as smooth and crisp as any Android on a dual- or quad-core chip. I believe dual-core support on WP8 is more about marketing than performance since consumers think they need more cores even if the OS doesn't. The fact that WP is as responsive on lesser hardware as Android is on blazing fast chips is a testament to WP's efficiency and Android's poor optimization.

Higher resolution screens also means higher power drain. The 1280x768 4.5" screens are higher PPI than Apple's first "Retina" displays and you have to have your face less than a foot from the screen before you can identify individual pixels. Again, nothing to brag about, but nothing that's holding it back either. Just another marketing blurb that doesn't actually impact use of the device.

I think it's less that WP couldn't support higher-end hardware rather than a conscientious decision that such hardware wasn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.