Can I use a flat screen for a monitor

Vinyfelix

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I have a flat panel television and It has a hdmi input and I'm wondering can I use it for a monitor and if I could can I also use the flat screens speakers to be the computer speakers

Solution
yes... many people use lcdtvs with their computers. i am on one right now.

most nvidia and ati cards have sound out via dvi or hdmi. even most motherboards support it now. unless you are using an ancient computer you should have no problems.

as far as quality is concerned... monitors are not any better. the screen is smaller an the pixel arrangement is better for text while televisions are better for shapes. televisions are also normally larger which means that they are also normally not as sharp (if you scaled up a monitor it would do the same thing). televisions may not be as fast responding as some smaller tn panel monitors but likely that isnt an issue as you would have stated your requirements as such.

short answer: yes it will...

Kurifox

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Yes you can, it workds without a problem, altough be ware that tv's are not eally intended for computers, they will not put out the same quality a monitor would, and a monitor is more responsive. But it would depend on your needs and what youl be doing with it.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
For the Display, Yes if your graphic card/mobo have HDMI output.

For the Sound, it depend on which card u r using. If u use old nVidia cards, they don't have a built-in sound processor and u have to connect ur sound card to it in order to carry the sound signal through HDMI. For most of the Radeon cards, they come with the built-in sound processor and shouldn't be any issue. Just have to select correct sound output from the CCC.

yes... many people use lcdtvs with their computers. i am on one right now.

most nvidia and ati cards have sound out via dvi or hdmi. even most motherboards support it now. unless you are using an ancient computer you should have no problems.

as far as quality is concerned... monitors are not any better. the screen is smaller an the pixel arrangement is better for text while televisions are better for shapes. televisions are also normally larger which means that they are also normally not as sharp (if you scaled up a monitor it would do the same thing). televisions may not be as fast responding as some smaller tn panel monitors but likely that isnt an issue as you would have stated your requirements as such.

short answer: yes it will work.

Solution