Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming PC that will match the next gen consoles on a budget, is it best to go all AMD ?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Next Generation
  • AMD
  • CPUs
  • Consoles
  • Go
  • GPUs
Last response: in CPUs
October 22, 2013 7:01:38 AM

Hi,

My current rig has been showing its age for some time and is due an upgrade. I a big console gamer, but I love playing multi platform games on my PC at much higher resolutions and frame rates then the consoles. I cant afford to buy both consoles, but with both of them being being very AMD heavy, ive decided it would be best to build a PC that will at least match and even probably slightly out perform the next gen systems. Keeping in mind, these are the specs on paper for both machines so far.

PS4

CPU: low power x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
GPU: Custom Radeon 7850 equivalent, 1152 shaders @ 1.84 TFLOPS
RAM: 8GB GDDR5 unified memory

XBox One

CPU : 8 Core AMD custom CPU @ 1.75 GHz
GPU : Customer Radeon 7790 equivalent, 853 MHz with 768 shaders @ 1.31 TFLOPS
RAM: 8GB DDR3 + 32MB eSRAM embedded memory

Obviously these are pretty vague specs, so far I imagine an FX 8320 with a 2GB Radeon 7850 and 8GB of DDR 3 should do the job. However, if you guys think it can be done for cheaper using different parts I'm all ears. Personally Id like to keep the power and noise down whilst recycling my old power supply, so picking an FX processor probably isnt a good idea. Id like to get an i5-3350P but its only a 4 core, even if it does beat the FX 8320 in a lot of bench marks, but maybe you guys know better. Also, seeing as the XBox one will only have the equivalent of a 7790, maybe an r7 260x would do the job, seeing as its somewhere in the middle of the 7790 and the 7850 and will be compatible with Mantle ?.

Ive read so much into this I feel my head is going to explode, so I appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance ;-).

More about : building gaming match gen consoles budget amd

a b à CPUs
October 22, 2013 7:16:34 AM

I suggest you to wait 2 months to see some of the new console titles get released on PC to see the benches, then you will know what to get.

So far everything is a guesstimate at best, Mantle could be like a second coming of Jesus or just a glorified vaporware (like that Tomb Raider technology thing AMD did with hair there, which remained just there and that's it, despite AMD claiming it can almost cure cancer and end world hunger).

Wait a bit and see.
October 22, 2013 7:21:57 AM

Gaidax said:
I suggest you to wait 2 months to see some of the new console titles get released on PC to see the benches, then you will know what to get.

so far everything is a guesstimate at best.

I agree for the most part, I need to do it before Xmas though. I worked for Amazon.co.uk up until early February, I got let go but was told I could keep my staff discount for the rest of the year which is 10% off anything sold directly by them (3rd party marketplace sellers don't count) so I want to make use of that and avoid the xmas rush.

Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 À AMD
a c 901 à CPUs
October 22, 2013 7:22:12 AM

What is your current power supply that you are concerned over?
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2013 7:23:12 AM

Then just go for it, it's a good plan, though I would suggest 3GB Video Card - BF4 seems to be creeping above 2GB video memory sometimes.
October 23, 2013 3:25:05 PM

logainofhades said:

logainofhades said:

Its a "Hiper 580w Type R", a quick search revealed this about them

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/all.html?refine=hip...

Seems to have had slightly mixed reviews, but leaning towards the positive end with 4 star ratings on New Egg and Amazon. It is old though, the newest thread I could find on it was from 2012!.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 À AMD
a c 901 à CPUs
October 23, 2013 3:39:36 PM

That was a decent PSU back in the day, but i would replace it.
October 23, 2013 3:54:59 PM

I have a Redeon 7850 HD and I ran battlefield on max setting no problem. However, the Radeon 7970 is really sweet for the price
October 23, 2013 4:24:42 PM

logainofhades said:

Its pretty old I admit, but I was recently running the following rig with it

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.13GHZ
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR5
2GB Ram DDR2 1066
ECS P965T-A
3 x 160GB Hitachi 160gb HDD's
Pinnacle PCTV capture card
Win XP SP3

The 8800 GTS died on me about 2 years ago, so I replaced it with a Radeon 5670 1GB DDR5, but considering the difference in TDP between those cards (146w vs 65w) but being more or less equal in performance, I thought I might be able to stick with this PSU for my next build. I was originally thinking maybe a rig with lower powered but efficient parts like this

Core i5-3350P
MSI B75A-G43
Radeon 7790 (2GB version)
8GB of ram
replace the 3 160gb drives with a 500gb Seagate Momentus SSHD

Id have to get rid of the Pinnacle capture card as it wont work on Vista or higher :p . But yea, if the next gen consoles are gonna be all AMD, I might need a new PSU :( .

a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
October 23, 2013 4:35:34 PM

Johnick said:
logainofhades said:

Its pretty old I admit, but I was recently running the following rig with it

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.13GHZ
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR5
2GB Ram DDR2 1066
ECS P965T-A
3 x 160GB Hitachi 160gb HDD's
Pinnacle PCTV capture card
Win XP SP3

The 8800 GTS died on me about 2 years ago, so I replaced it with a Radeon 5670 1GB DDR5, but considering the difference in TDP between those cards (146w vs 65w) but being more or less equal in performance, I thought I might be able to stick with this PSU for my next build. I was originally thinking maybe a rig with lower powered but efficient parts like this

Core i5-3350P
MSI B75A-G43
Radeon 7790 (2GB version)
8GB of ram
replace the 3 160gb drives with a 500gb Seagate Momentus SSHD

Id have to get rid of the Pinnacle capture card as it wont work on Vista or higher :p . But yea, if the next gen consoles are gonna be all AMD, I might need a new PSU :( .

It isn't so much that you'll need a new PSU because you're going AMD versus Intel. In fact, that's not even a consideration for a recommendation I would make.

When building a new PC, it's best to put new parts in. If your PSU was say...6 months old or something...that would be one thing. A PSU that's several years old has had much of the lifespan of the unit run already, and if it goes out in your new system...that's bad. It could easily take out a large chunk of the most expensive components you just bought to put into your new PC. So I would get a new one because you want to protect your investment.

For what you're talking about, I would recommend something around 620-650W for a higher end GPU and a high end CPU.

A PSU that I particularly like, and Tom's Hardware gave excellent reviews about, is the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620W. I have this PSU, and it seems to be bullet proof, and quiet...very quiet. It's a tad pricey if it's not on sale, but you can find it on sale if you time it right for about $40-50, and it's a semi-modular design, so you don't have a mess of cables everywhere. Only the ones you need.
October 23, 2013 4:43:25 PM

8350rocks said:
Johnick said:
logainofhades said:

Snip

It isn't so much that you'll need a new PSU because you're going AMD versus Intel. In fact, that's not even a consideration for a recommendation I would make.

When building a new PC, it's best to put new parts in. If your PSU was say...6 months old or something...that would be one thing. A PSU that's several years old has had much of the lifespan of the unit run already, and if it goes out in your new system...that's bad. It could easily take out a large chunk of the most expensive components you just bought to put into your new PC. So I would get a new one because you want to protect your investment.

For what you're talking about, I would recommend something around 620-650W for a higher end GPU and a high end CPU.

A PSU that I particularly like, and Tom's Hardware gave excellent reviews about, is the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620W. I have this PSU, and it seems to be bullet proof, and quiet...very quiet. It's a tad pricey if it's not on sale, but you can find it on sale if you time it right for about $40-50, and it's a semi-modular design, so you don't have a mess of cables everywhere. Only the ones you need.

Thanks, Ive currently got my eye on this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ-ZS650W-UK-Series-Bronze...

Does it have all the bells and whistles Id need ?.
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a c 210 à CPUs
October 23, 2013 4:47:28 PM

OCZ makes a good PSU as well, that one is Bronze rated, so it should be of good quality. That would be fine I should think.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 À AMD
a c 901 à CPUs
October 23, 2013 4:50:09 PM

Your PSU is sufficient for that setup. I am more concerned with the age that anything.
November 21, 2013 5:40:57 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but now that the PS4 is out and X-Box 1 is out tomorrow (with all the review embargo's lifted as of today), maybe now we can have a more accurate guess.

Digital Foundry have done comparisons of Battlefield 4 and COD Ghosts on the both machines

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battle...

Apparently, the PS4 version is on par with the PC version running at 1600 x 900 on ultra settings, except it only uses FXAA for AA. The XBox-One version is the same only it runs at 720P and with no SSAO at all, although it apparently uses 2x MSAA for AA.

They also compared the PS4 version of Ghosts to the PC on Ultra

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-whats-...

Both running at 1080P, the PS4 version is on par with the PC version running on Ultra settings except with lower detail SSAO and shadows, and only using FXAA for AA. The game runs at 60fps in multi player and mostly at 60f fps during the campaign with the occasional dips during set pieces.

Has anybody got a rig were they have to make the same compromises as the console versions ?, mainly the PS4. I'm on the fence about what parts I should go for now, an FX6300 only has 6 cores compared to the 8 these consoles are using, but its clocked much higher so I was thinking of maybe getting that instead of the 8320 to save a few bucks. I was also going to go for the 2GB 7850 but now id like to get an R9 270 as its on par with the 7870 whilst using about the same power as the 7850, but Amazon.co.uk don't have the non X version yet.

What do you think guys ?, remember I have to buy all the parts from Amazon.co.uk and it has to be before the 31st of December this year to get my 10% discount.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 171 À AMD
a c 901 à CPUs
November 21, 2013 6:42:44 AM

The FX 8320 would be ideal, but if your budget doesn't allow for it and the R9 270, the FX 6300 will be fine. GPU matters more than CPU most of the time. FX 6300 with a R9 270 > FX 8320 with an HD 7850.
November 21, 2013 7:39:15 AM

logainofhades said:
The FX 8320 would be ideal, but if your budget doesn't allow for it and the R9 270, the FX 6300 will be fine. GPU matters more than CPU most of the time. FX 6300 with a R9 270 > FX 8320 with an HD 7850.

Oh I agree, in fact I imagine a HD7850 would probably bottleneck an 8320 in a little some cases, I just wish Amazon.co.uk was selling the regular non X R9 270 :-(.
!