Apple's New Mac Pro to Ship in December at $2,999

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
can anybody find anything on the GPUs in it? i cannot find a single thing called AMD FirePro D300 anywhere on any website

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007

I hear there are people who pay for large black things. I have even seen vids of women enjoying them.

You may not want to pay a premium of $1,000 but its a cylinder, so it totally could go for more.

Cylinders, they are the new cubes...

santiagoanders

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
The D300 is about equivalent to a FirePro W7000 (given the number of shaders, compute power, and memory bandwidth). But it looks like they skimped on VRAM - the FirePro W7000 has 4GB per card, not 2GB.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
"The components add up to about 1000-1200$. Fools and their money will soon be parted."

Please explain your math? Using the exact same parts. Xeons and everything, next tell me how much it cost to support this $1200 machine for one year, keep in mind that you also need to include the cost of software and lastly, find a workstation class board that has 6 thunderbolt 2 ports on it and provide that as well.

I think you will find that what you just mentioned does not exist and a comparable machine from another manufacturer costs fairly close to this machine if not more.

Also, Workstation class machine, not a gaming machine. The differences is productivity + making money vs wasting time + loosing money.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

The 2 CPU's and GPU's alone cost over $1200.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Sweet merciful lord, I hope not. A quick check of scan computers tells me that those cards have a maximum TDP of 150W each. Combined with that CPU (which Tom's review tells me draws 125W at a high load), that's a single 12cm-ish fan trying to dissipate almost 500W of heat from one, rather large and inefficient heatsink. If anyone tries using that power CPU-GPU combination to its full potential, their new toy is going to turn into a hairdryer/paintstripper combo.

Of course, this probably won't be too much of a problem, since most macs are used as $2000 facebook machines, but ho well....

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
The problem isn't the pricing vs the components. The problem is with the target audience. This is the classic issue with Mac Pros. Who actually needs what this thing contains, at this price point? What sort of home user needs a Xeon with dual Firepros? What sort of business that ACTUALLY needs setups that contain Xeons with dual Firepros would turn to Apple to provide individual units for them instead of just coming up with their own solution and building it into server racks, rather than purchasing a ton of these weird cylinders?

Apple, as usual, is marketing high-end hardware that is truly only suitable for business solutions, to mainstream consumers. The way they package it makes it unusable for businesses (imagine a room full of 1000 of these things) and the hardware included is pointless for the vast majority of individual users. It's a vanity item, nothing more.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Personally, I love the new look. It's freaking slick and stylish. Well, everyone has a different sense of fashion. For me, this looks pretty good. If I am a professional that need a workstation, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. However, I have no use for such high end workstation. But it's still a cool machine to look at :)

g-unit1111

Titan

I think I know where this is going! :D :lol:

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Mr Paul, shouldn't you be preparing for the 2016 election?

Status
Not open for further replies.