SSDs without TRIM support

Johnnie_A

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hi

I have a have two SSDs on a Raid-0 setup (Intel controller, intel Z68 chipset motherboard).

Currently Intel doesn't support TRIM on Series 6 chipsets and neither does Samsung. Samsung also told me that even though the SSDs use Garbage Collection, it only works with TRIM

I will never use more than 50% of the raid's capacity as the SSDs are only for OS and software.

My question is how much will impact the performance the lack of TRIM given the above info?

Thanks!

Pretty sure that's incorrect. Get a second opinion from another Samsung employee.

Idle Garbage Collection works in addition to TRIM.

Just reboot to your login screen before you go to sleep or before you go to work/school to allow GC to do its thing. You only need to this once a week or once every other week to maintain drive performance.

I have had 2 60GB SATA 2 (3Gb/s) SSDs in RAID-0 since 2009, so I have never had TRIM.
I idle my system overnight while I'm sleep once every 2 weeks and my system performance is fine.

So I'm pretty sure that with the current generation SSDs that you have, that you won't have any performance issues.
It's also not necessary for you to keep your array at 50% capacity. You can go up to 85% before you will notice a performance hit.

Also FYI, make sure in your Power Settings that you have your hard drive to "Never shut down", so that power is being continuously supplied to drives while your system is idling.

popatim

Titan
I have two Samsung 830's in raid 0 for 2 years on an AMD setup so I too have never had trim and probably never will {till I convert to Intel}. LOL

No issues and I rarely let it sit at the login screen. I figure If you don't delete stuff you don't have garbage for it to collect so there's not need to run it.

Johnnie_A

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Your answer was really helpful! I left my PC idle for 2-3 hours just to see what happens by testing a certain archive if it was deleted afterwards but it was still there (checked with a hex editor). Do I have to actually leave the PC on for a longer time?

My power settings are configured as you said.

Thanks!

Johnnie_A

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Useful info! Thanks! :)