Repackaging a CPU, GPU and Motherboard for resale - advice?

woodbeam

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I'm in the process of changing out my core components, and I'd like to resell my old ones to cover part of the cost. Unfortunately, I disposed of much of their original packaging when I first received them like an idiot.

The GPU still has its original box luckily, so that shouldn't be a problem, but the motherboard and especially the CPU are. A sealed antistatic bag and proper packing seem to be all I'd need for the motherboard (please correct me if I'm wrong!), but I have no idea about the CPU, unless I were to leave it connected to the motherboard and sold them as a set. Can anyone give me some advice?

I would pack the GPU and the cooler separately, leave CPU socketed (and clean from thermal paste), and put the board inside an antistatic bag and separate cushioned box. All this into even larger box, with plenty of peanuts / bubblewrap around.

I think you could do more damage if you pack the CPU separately - now you have to take care both for CPU pins and for motherboard CPU socket' pins. And since you're not having original packaging, you don't have that plastic flap which was installed over the CPU socket.