IPS vs TN: Can you tell the difference between 60Hz vs 120Hz and 5ms vs 2ms?

niewiad

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I am thinking about buying a computer in the near future, but have come to a sort of crossroad when researching the screen. I am trying to decide whether to get an IPS or TN screen.
I will be using the screen for studying purposes, watching movies and TV shows, and also playing games. The games I play 95% of the time are RPGs, mostly World of Warcraft, which doesn't really rely on 'twitch gameplay'.

My question is: will I see a noticeable difference in World of Warcraft with a 120Hz 2ms TN panel over an IPS 60Hz 5ms? Or would the difference be negligible, and I should therefore go with the IPS because of its superior image quality/contrast and viewing angle?

Does anyone have any brand suggestions or recommendations for either screen?

Solution
Ips is not better image quality or contrast. This will be similar depending on res, size, and backlight. Ips is better color accuracy which is not necessarily image quality and a good tn is negligible color inaccuracy. You won't even find tn 1440p monitors.

Show me where pls was not recieved well. They are pretty much the same as ips.
Ips is not better image quality or contrast. This will be similar depending on res, size, and backlight. Ips is better color accuracy which is not necessarily image quality and a good tn is negligible color inaccuracy. You won't even find tn 1440p monitors.

Show me where pls was not recieved well. They are pretty much the same as ips.

Solution

niewiad

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I was thinking so. The next question is then, what sort of graphics card would I need to support 2560x1440 gaming?

I agree with waiting for the gsync monitors, it will be a blessing, particularly for gaming, and should be in your budget. It will actually mean you won't need such a powerful card to get smooth game-play. but as far as 2560x1440, a gtx770 or 7970 would be a minimum for good fps.

niewiad

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

You specifically had asked everyones opinion on both 120hz or 1440p screens. For gaming, I'd rather have high refresh rates and G-sync over 1440p. I gave that as my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

The VG248QE will be a 144hz G-sync monitor (refreshes sync with FPS, not the other way around like v-sync). The future version may also be 177hz.

Now, that is my choice, you may prefer a higher resolution.

niewiad

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Sorry about that, I keep changing my mind. I like the colour accuracy and viewing angle of the IPS displays but would also like a fast response time and refresh rate. Now I just have to decide which one I can live without the most.

Thanks for your input