new router suggestions?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
im tired of using the built in networking that came with my dsl modem.. theres very few options for customizability, QoS barely works.. i need something incredibly customizable.. i need something with DD-WRT

so id like something with 10/100/1000 ethernet, 300mbps N wireless, something with a good memory size for DD-WRT, preferably with a USB port on it (i like setting up a network drive this way)

what id really like is to find something as open and customizable as the old linksys WRT54G i used to have.. that was a workhorse of a router.. what would be a good, more modern alternative to this?.. and what would be a great wireless router to use with DD-WRT.. if theres an inexpensive little router that maybe sucks stock, but has everything necessary to come alive with DD-WRT, that would be perfect

so i hope its clear what im trying to find, and what are your suggestions for it?

RealBeast

Titan
I would get a Linksys E4200. I have one flashed to DD-WRT and it is a great router. The less expensive models are also supported like the E1000 through E3200.

If you want to go with a really cheap router, some of the Tp-Link and Trendnet are supported, take a look HERE for the models.

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
aah, would see i forgot to mention my budget.. budget would be $50.. i spent over $100 on a really nice one that could do anything, and it broke rather quickly

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
i read somewhere that the atheros processor routers have issues running routers in client modes connecting two wifi routers together wirelessly.. and that broadcom based routers are better for this.. however it seems atheros based seem to offer a much better value and i have little need for such a wireless bridge?.. im strongly considering a $50 TP link

RealBeast

Titan
I've seen similar reports and it may be luck to some degree as dd-wrt does not warn against atheros for this AFAIK. The atheros sure are cheaper in most cases.

RealBeast

Titan
Are you recommending it to run dd-wrt? Can you provide a link to show that it does? As far as I can tell it is an old rebranded Tenda that does not support dd-wrt.

bazz

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
It has a 4MB flash memory, which is usually enough to support basic DD-WRT functions, but no DD-WRT firmware has been designed for this router yet as far as I know RealBeast.

RealBeast

Titan
Correct, there is no dd-wrt that will run on it, so it is not a viable choice, the OP is specifically looking for a dd-wrt capable device (with good reason IMO having used it on many routers).