AMD FX-4170 Black Edition - Are my temps too high?

JayCartay

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
OK, so I have been having LOTS of random shutdowns with my PC. It happens a hell of a lot. I have an AMD FX-4170 (I think, could be a 4100 but whatever) Black Edition and it tends to run at around 80 degrees a significant portion of the time. I actually managed to get it up to 92 degrees C last night IN BIOS!! while moving the mouse around and opening and closing lots of windows to see if I could push it.

It then obviously shut down.

I'm running the stock cooler but it is in a Cooler Master case with a massive fan on the top and a couple of fans back and side. I've had this issue ages but it's only last night I decided to try and diagnose it and figure this crap out.

I am leaning at these high temps being the cause, but I'd like a second opinion before spending money on a nice cooler.

The machine keeps shutting off very quickly this morning. It does this sometimes, then will be fine again for two days. Sometimes the temp is only around 50 - 60 degrees.

Let me know what you think, folks?

kooks147

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Yikes. Well, usually BIOS reads off of the CPU Socket temperatures, which tend to be 5-15C hotter than the actual core temperatures. The safe core temperature is ~61C. So, uh, even at 80C, that's awfully scary.

The stock fan usually is adequate, and if you have plenty of air-flow, I don't know why you're having such issues. Is the stock heatsink properly installed? When is the last time you dusted your case?

JayCartay

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah it's crazy. No overclocking.

I actually went out on my way home from work yesterday and picked up an Akasa Nero 3 fan. Pretty cheap but 3 times the size of the stock item. Installed it last night (that was fun, with the seesaw clip that won't stay on!) and the PC was generally running under 10 degress all night! The highest temp it reached was 31 degrees.

It appears that I have solved the problem!

TRENDING THREADS