Sign in with
Your question

Best raw processing value - multiple PCs for number crunching

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2013 3:18:59 PM

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a project that needs to run a processor-intensive model that might very likely take about 2 years on my i7 machine. But I can parcel out the work to 5-6 small machines, so I'm looking for the best value system build in terms of processing speed per dollar.

I only really need each machine to have 4GB of RAM and USB3.0 (to process data off of external hard drives).

I don't need any other frills - no drives except a bare minimum drive (40GB is fine) for the software and Linux.

A small form factor and low power consumption are preferable since this would be in my house.

Pre-built would be nice, but I would mass produce them myself if that's what's needed. I'm looking for that "sweet spot" chipset processor, but I don't know if that's more on the high end (like an i5-i7) or on the far low end (like Pentium 4). And accordingly whether I should do 5-6 cheap machines or 2 higher end machines.

So, what I need are:
1) Smallest possible form factor case
2) Best raw value processor from a throughput perspective

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
October 23, 2013 3:54:24 PM

I don't know the nature of your model, but if it's highly parallelizable then it might be a good idea to look into GPU computing.
October 23, 2013 3:57:43 PM

AMD is going to be your best bet for number crunching, Im going 2 make a sample I will post back when I have made it.
October 23, 2013 4:16:46 PM

Ok I made the build I could make a cheaper one if I tried and maybe got a apu I will try to make it cheaper but here it is:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1SpUp

maybe if you put in a: AMD A10-6800K It would be cheaper but not by much
!