Upgrading gaming rig, need help!

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hello,

I recently decided to build a new pc, but I have some questions to be answered.
I will be buying the core components ( motherboard, CPU and RAM ) and using the parts I have already (gfx card, HDDs, case, fans and PSU ).

NOTE: I will post all my questions in a list at the end of this post so it's easier to follow/find!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobo I really like:
Name:
ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ FM2+/FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157457
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU I really like:
Name:
AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD 8670D

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113331
RAM I really like:
Name:
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-231-518&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=3&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo
HS&F I like:
Name:
Cooler Master Hyper T4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-103-065&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=false&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=Challenger&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

The CPU fits and is compatible with the mobo so no need to ask/look for compatibility.

The RAM I'm not sure about if it will work with the mobo, it takes DDR3 2133 (because of CPU I have to pick 2133) but I don't know, would like some advice on that.

Ok so here is the list of questions I have.

1. On the Motherboards manual/website it says this, "PCIE 3.0 is only supported with FM2+ CPU. With FM2 CPU, it only supports PCIE 2.0". So does that mean I got to put my dedicated graphics card into the PCI-E 2.0 slot? It's a FM2 CPU but I looked online and found out that FM2+ isn't even out. But will I still be able to put the gfx card into the 3.0 slot?

2. I did some research about the CPU and I guess it will use only DDR3 2133, why not just get the best ram your motherboard can support?

3. The ram that I picked out, will it fully work with the motherboard? If not or you know of a better kind that will work, please let me know about it.

4. About the motherboard on newegg, why only 5 reviews? And on amazon, none?
No one like it or something?

5. Will I be able to do dual-graphics with my graphics card ( it's the Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 GDDR5 1GB ver, and it's crossfire enabled )?

6. If you guys know of anything else like a better mobo or CPU for the same price please let me know, my max price range is $350ish and please keep in mind it can't be a mATX, ITX etc sized motherboard, only a ATX size motherboard.

7. This upcoming Monday, I will be sending my PSU back to newegg to get a better one, (still in 30 day return policy, ends on November 2) but I used some of the zip ties that came with it, will they get mad if some of the zip ties aren't there and reject it or will they let it pass? PSU: rosewill capstone 650w (not modular) is what I want to return, the one I want to get is the rosewill capstone 750w (IS modular).

8. What is timing in ram? What is cast latency in ram? Will the RAM work with the motherboard? If not or something better for the same price let me know.

9. Will the Heatsink/fan fit inside a rosewill challenger case?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASRocks website: http://www.asrock.com

ASRocks motherboard link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X%20Extreme6+/

Thanks,

-Cha11enger

aidanklenk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
first, the RAM is compatible with that board.
it has 4 slots, and i would suggest filling all of them.

1) you can put your graphics card in your 3.0 slot. it will just act like a 2.0 slot. it will be fine.

2) you're right, i would get the best RAM your motherboard would support. you picked out great RAM, though.

3) that ram will fit and work fine. i would fill our all 4 slots, though.

4) you can't base everything off reviews. it could be a fairly new board.

5) there are two pci-e 16 slots, so you can crossfire.

6) thats a good motherboard, i would stick with it.

7) i honestly have no idea, and i don't think if anyone will know that.

8) the heatsink will fit.

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

Thanks!

Oops, I for got to include that question 5 was about running the CPUs graphics and my graphics card together, like crossfire, but idk if it will work correctly, I mean it says it can use them booth. Just to confirm that.

And thanks agin for the reply!

Spoil3d

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
this is for you gaming rig, why not get intel?

i keep telling everybody that, amd has multithreading, games do't make use of multi threading, where intel (4670k) performs better in single threaded apps such as games, my advice if you want to upgrade go for the 4670k it will run very well on games.

aidanklenk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

that processor is very good. intel has always been better, but AMDs are definitely keeping up.
AMD is also cheaper. the only big downside is that it takes more power to run.

Spoil3d

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
when it comes to GPU cards i prefer amd because they are so much cheaper, but i use my processor for programming and various other things so intel does not dissapoint, but if you are going for an all out gaming rig amd will do fine, it sounds like you are an amd fan

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Ok so I like AMD, but I like intel also, but I'm not that much of a fan boy. Bolth are great, it's just the Intel CPUs are like 2x the price, so yeah.

I don't see a way to select best answer.

Tanks for the help!