EXTREMELY Cheap Build

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm a person who's interested in very cheap yet effective builds. I have a few spare parts and would like to purchase the rest of the parts I need for no more than $100. The cheaper the better. I just need something that performs everyday tasks and some light gaming. All I need is a case, a cpu, motherboard, and memory. Perhaps a hard drive as well.

Here's what I'm thinking:
E6600 Processor, LGA775 motherboard (advice welcome here), and just 2x2 GB sticks of gskill, corsair, or whatever else you advise. Would you suggest an SSD versus a normal SATA hard drive?

I haven't been keeping up much with stuff for the past few years, so if you guys think there's a better bang for your buck hardware that is as cheap, I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

aidanklenk

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
$100 might push it a little.
for just a internet and video watching computer that wouldn't be to bad.
for you, i would say get an HDD, more space on average and cheaper.
if you can get everything used you might be able to get pretty close to the $100 mark.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

Thanks for your reply! Do you think going with the E6600 route is a good idea? Or do you have a better bang for the buck CPU in mind?

Also, if I can find an SSD for $30 more than the HDD, do you think that's worth it? Is it that much of a difference in speed between them? I don't care much about the space capacity, mostly about the speed and performance.

TRENDING THREADS