suddenly no post no bios no beep

alkatron

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hello I always check this site for hardware questions, thank you all for providing this info. I guess this question has been asked many times, but still i wanted to confirm my answer.

My old computer (very old 7-8 years) suddenly stopped working. I have never changed anything except the rams and the hard drives. I gave it to my mother 1 year ago because i got a new one, she uses it for internet, torrentz and social media, no heavy use. She called me and told me that it gave a post error, but my mother doesn't know english and the only word she knew was DVD (i have only 1 drive now) i told her to restart the pc and if it could not open to wait for me. She did restart it and this message never reappeared.

Today I came home and I need to fix this now so the story goes: no beep, no display in general, monitor is working fine, i removed the rams, GPU, drives everything except CPU, MOBO and PSU. Still tha same thing, i removed the 4 pin cable from the mobo and still the same thing. Fans are wokring fine, so does the leds but still i suspect the power supply over the CPU or MOBO but still that POST error about the DVD drive makes me question my answer. Please correct me if i am wrong i have no spare parts to try, and not much time and I really need to fix this today.

Computer:
Intel 3,2 Ghz Plentium 4
Motherboard with ddr and ddrII slots (2+2) it can only use one type of memory (ddrII my case)
PSU: Premier DR-8400BTX 400 watt
GPU: ATI Radeon 1650X

Excuse my English (not my native language) and thank you in advance.

Warleech

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
3 answers for this

your Motherboard died
or
PSU died since there is no BEEB it mean Motherboard is not working.
or
the connection between the PSU and motherboard is fwrong.

alkatron

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
All the connections seems fine by naked eye, no brown areas and no smell when the computer is on. Thanks for the quick reply.

Warleech

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

so when you turn the button of the PSU the light gose red but when you start the PC no beeb and the small light on the motherboard dosent light up ?

alkatron

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
hahahahah i can't stop laughting at my situation. While i was trying something new i switched on the power and i heard a discharge inside the PSU and saw some blue lights. After the blackout the computer does not work anymore. I hope it was the PSU in the first place, any idea how i can see if the MOBO is fine? I still believe it was the PSU cause i find out that my mother had a somehow weird wire connections. I can't explain i will post a photo instead.

09hn.jpg

bip3.jpg

The first cable from the left is thicker than the socket, and between is the adaptor, i am not an electrician but i believe there must be a "ground" in that adaptor.

Again sorry for the bad English.

alkatron

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Well it turns out it is not the PSU, I got a new one to test it, the computer has now power but no display and no beep again... guess it is the MOBO or the CPU, any ideas how to tell if it is the CPU or the MOBO? :/

Warleech

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I am really glad i helped if there is anything your free to ask :D