Is radeon 'dual graphics' pointless for me?

blu62

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I have an acer 5560g with an a8-3500m apu, and a Radeon HD 6740G2. This consists of both a 6620g and a 6650M.

Now, dual graphics has never worked for me. I can select it in CCC and then I can see the 'dual graphics' logo appear at the top right of the sceen in certain dx10/11 games. However, when this happens I get tremendously low FPS, (0-10) even in the opening cinematics, no matter what the settings of the games.

I've gotten by just using the 6650M, but I'm just curious as to the point of selling a '6740G2' card which just doesn't seem to have any benefit at all. Perhaps I've missed something? I've tried every driver under the sun (clean installs).

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
I have the same experience and believe me, it would be a powerhouse but u may need to work a lot with that.

LLano mobile APUs are notorious of their ability to overclock. My friend's laptop is equipped w A6-3400M APU and 6650M gfx and he could achieve good experience w/ games like Crysis 3, MP3 and BF4, in medium-high settings and moderate FXAA and some 2x AA on. Here are some manuals:

For CPU overclocking, there is a very useful tool called K10STAT, currrent ver is 1.54. You could google it and there's a lot of tutorial on how to OC w/ that. My friend could achieve 2.6Ghz Freq when gaming and that was like a i5-2410M or sth.

Acer and AMD are both responsible of their poor optimatizing on Hybrid Crossfire, esp w/ notebooks. W/ original ACER GPU driver the performance sucks, w/ official AMD mobility catalyst it has problem reconizing both GPUs (or even it's successful to install but the 'switchable graphics' becomes unaccessable which could be vital for gaming). Therefore I recommend you to install some mod driver called 'AMD mobility catalyst 13.12 revision 13.25' (again Google it) U may need to disable Driver Signature Enforcement before installion. My friend's laptop was like crazy w/ games. (He could nearly max out GTA 4 settings w/ AA 4x on using CCC)

I also suspect your laptop suffering overheating problem, since it's a 2011 laptop and u may purchase it not over 2013. Using a vacuum cleaner and clean the ventilate holes throughly HELPS a lot (again my friend's 6650M reaches 95c in 20 mins and the CPU freq DROPS to 800mhz and it dropped the fps to an ugly number when it's overheat, but after cleaning his gfx stays below 85c after 2hrs of gaming and his CPU stays roughly 90c and drops 15c when he paused for 10 minutes or sth)

Hope I've seen this earlier. If u have achieved what I have done then congratulates, and hope it helps if u'r still struggling. Just ask me anything regarding this orphan if u need to. Good luck!