Sign in with
Your question

"Error loading operating system", but fixed after an unplug and replug.

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2013 3:11:49 PM

Hey guys! (I'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong category!)

I have a 2 terabyte seagate hard drive, and everything was fine and perfect for 3 months, then one night I shut the computer down before I slept, and when I woke up, turning it on resulted in the "Error loading operating system" error. I checked the BIOS, and my hard drive was listed. I restarted a few times, and the error kept coming up. So i decided to open up the computer, unplug and re plug the hard drive, and eureka, it worked! Is this a common problem? or the result of a failing hard drive? this is the first time this has ever happened to me, and this hard drive is new (just 3 months old) and is not even nearly 1/10th full. Thank you for your replies :)  Let me know if you need more info!

P.S: The computer and its components are 3 months old too :

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H77-V LE Rev X.0x
Processor: 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i3-3220

1999.87 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1892.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA Device [Optical drive]
ST2000DL003-9VT166 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) (Hard Drive)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series [Display adapter] (2x)

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 7735AE48)
Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' is Empty
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty
a c 295 G Storage
October 25, 2013 3:51:23 AM

The only way to be sure about the health of the hard drive is to test it with the manufacturer's diagnostic software. Don't use Windows to test the system drive though. You need to use the DOS version of the diagnostic software which loads from a bootable CD which you make from the downloaded ISO file. The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
!