780 SLI and Dual 3D Monitors

Julien12

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Hi Everyone,
Ordering 2 EVGA 780's and 2 27" Asus 3D Monitors.

Would I use HDMI or DVI-D for this.
I would only be gaming on one monitor and use both for multi tasking. Eventually going to upgrade to 3 monitors.

Would the best way to connect this?

Just one dvi dual link going from one card to one monitor?

Solution
Except that AMD has a really crappy implementation of 3D which seems to be the whole point of his setup.

To OP, either is ok. If your using HDMI make sure the monitor supports HDMI 1.4, otherwise you'd want to be using DVI-D for 1920x1080@120 display modes.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

I'm just saying, you should really look at an R9 290X. It outperforms a GTX Titan, and it costs less than a GTX 780. While there are problems with CrossFire at the moment, when those driver issues are finally ironed out a dual R9 290X will be absolutely fantastic. Also, just wondering, if only one's for gaming what's the point in spending extra to make the other also 3D?

As for connecting, it could be either DVI or HDMI, though I think the most recent iterations of HDMI support a higher bandwidth than DVI can. But either way, I think you can just do one cable per monitor-GPU connection.

Julien12

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Like mentioned I plan on getting a 3rd Monitor in the future (Same Asus 3d) for 3D gaming with all 3 monitors.
I have always stuck with Nvidia and plan on overclocking the cards.

So all I need is to run a DVI-D cable to each card and monitor and I will be set for dual monitors? Would that be the best option?

Except that AMD has a really crappy implementation of 3D which seems to be the whole point of his setup.

To OP, either is ok. If your using HDMI make sure the monitor supports HDMI 1.4, otherwise you'd want to be using DVI-D for 1920x1080@120 display modes.

Solution