mobo supported memory question

astakiller89

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
just bought an ASRock 990fx extreme3, its on its way, i decided to go to the manufacturers

website and came across the supported memory list. I'm using kingston 4gb pieces at 1600mhz.

this list contains only one supported kingston memory module for 4gb at 1600mhz, and its not the

memory i will be using. does that mean it will not work? or are those lists never accurate and up

to date.

heres the link to the manufacturers page.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS&Model=990FX%20Extreme3

Also, should i flash the bios before i rebuild my system on this board. (i dont plan to install a fresh copy of windows 8, just swapping from old board to new, going from amd board, to amd board)

animal

Distinguished
To answer your 1st question regarding supported memory lists:
no mobo vendor list is ever complete, there are always memory modules that WILL work even though they dont show up on the list. However, there is no guarantee that all memory will work, but in most cases the memory will work.
Another alternative is to go to the memory makers website and see if they have an "app" that will tell you whch of their memory modules are compatible with a given motherboard.

In regard to flashing the bios prior to building, that would depend on whether there is a justifiable need to do so. Do you need a newer version BIOS due to the current version not supporting your cpu? or similar type situaions. If there is not an immediate need, then you may not need to.

Regarding using your old OS on the new mobo, you may run into some issues as most OS software is tied to the original mobo used when it was installed. Can't be more specific on whether it will work without knowing more.

astakiller89

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

I would enjoy relaying the information needed to get an educated opinion on my chances of succeeding with the swap. whatever you would need from me i can get. i have until mid next week to get all my homework done before i tare apart a perfectly good working system in the hope of accomplishing a major upgrade of mobo and cpu.

astakiller89

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

i have a 4100fx zambezi, i recieved my 6300fx vishera today

animal

Distinguished
Unless you have a retail version of your OS and it didn't come pre-installed on your computer or using an OEM version, then you will probably have to spring for a new license. Microsoftwill sometimes let you get away with a minor motherboard upgrade, but with doing both your motherboard and cpu, a new OS will most likely be necessary. You can try but don't be surprised if you have to contact Microsoft and they tell you the same thing. Good luck !

astakiller89

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

i bought windows 8 pro at bestbuy when it first came out. its just a package the size of a cd case with both 32 and 64 bit discs in it as well as the car with the key on it. idk if thats oem or what. but thats what i have.

in the even that i have to reinstall the os, cant i just buy a new hard drive and install fresh on that one, and plug my current drive in as a slave so i can keep all my games and what not. just make desktop links to the files on the slave?

animal

Distinguished
it sounds like you bought the "full" retail version of Win8 since it came with both 32 & 64 bit versions. As such, you should have no problems using your current hdd although you may be prompted to re-install or "fix" the current installation by using the original disc(s). As I said, should not be a major issue.
NOTE:If you are going to have to do a re-install, you might want to consider getting an SSD for your boot/system drive.

astakiller89

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Note taken, just got a board with sata 3 6.0/GHz might as well utilize it.