+/- 1500 PC Build : need some feedbacks :)

MisBi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hi everyone !

To make the story short : for many reasons I had to use laptops since quite a couple of years, so I had lost grip on the new stuff going on in PC hardware. Not I'm stable and I want to build myself a desktop machine !

So yeah, I just looked at benchmarks, reviews and all those stuff until my nose starter bleeding, and finally built myself something.

Like the title says, I'm a bit flexible, but only in the way of noticeable improvements. I've never been up to fall in the game of manufacturers and buy something because on the papers it says Super GT SwagClocked 2GB coolness/s.

So that's why I'm coming towards you guys, to get some final feedbacks about some stuff that could be tweaked, not to absolutely save money, but rather not wasting it.

Small precisions :

- My build is for gaming but I also do a lot of 3D mod, rendering, and everything that goes with the Adobe suite. That's why I go for a 4770K.

- I was thinking about taking the Asus Z87-Pro, to have an integrated wi-fi, since I'm subject to pair some stuff with it, like I did on my laptopt (Printer & other devices). But finally I came back to the Asus Z87-A (C2) because it saves some money for now and I could put it somewhere else in the build. I don't have my stuff I want to pair for now (moved abroad to work) so I'll just buy a cheap wi-fi card later.

- 4770L and 770 GTX, in anticipation of some overclocking and/or SLI later, if the hardware gets a bit old, if it's profitable nevertheless.

- I don't need a soundcard for now, since I'm only using a USB 5.1 headset -> no speakers.

- I'll go for the fans coming with the case for now. I read that they could start beeing squeeky after a period, but if that happen I would change them at that time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Build as it is now :

- CPU : i7 4770K

- MB : Asus Z87-A (C2)

- GPU : Asus GTX 770 DC2 OC II

- RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2133 - 2x4GB

- HDD : WesternDigital Blue - 1TB

- SSD : Kingston HyperX 3K - 120GB

- Power supply : Corsair 600CX

- Cpu-fan : Noctua NH-D14

- Case : Corsair Graphite 600T

- Monitor : Asus VG248QE

( I work in Germany currently, so the prices are quite cool, and that build is currently worth 1615€ )

Couple questions (I researched this informations and didn't find them. I don't say these questions were not answered somewhere, I just couldn't find them) :

- First, is it worth for my configuration to get DDR3-2133, or 1600 wouldn't make a difference ? If yes, should I rather invest a bit more to get 4x4GB at 1600 MHz ? Or either that option wouldn't make a difference ? (When I say "difference", I mean a noticeable one :) )

- For the GPU, with the games of nowadays and the ones upcoming, that GTX 770 will be enough ? I don't plan - at all - having multiple screen for games. Maybe just for desktop and game + Steaming.

- As I said, I consider the overclocking possibility, but only very very later, if my build starts running slow, and if I can't at that moment upgrade heavily. So that not really a matter for now, SO, is my power supply too big for the configuration I have now ? (I always had trouble caculating that ^^

Also, a power supply is not really ewpensive, so I would change it later if needed for the OC/SLI option.

- I also take any other suggestion/feedback, as long as you tell me why :p

I may order this WE if everything is ok !

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers o/

LeVsKaR

Honorable
May 27, 2013
CPU is good, GPU and Mobo too
I suggest either getting kingston ram or corsair ssd (they should work better together)
Other choice is getting Samsung or Intel SSDs as they make the best out there.
I would highly recommend Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB one of the fastest drives out there
Preferably, get Western Digital Red (or if you can take black) because they are with better quality and are more reliable.
I think if you will really SLI you will need 700W for two cards at least.
Nothing to say against monitor neither case. But again - I would recommend Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 case because of its very good airflow, 3 case fans, 2 usb 3 at the front and is cheaper - it is really good one!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Why would that be the case?

Anyway,that ssd you chose should be fine otherwise the samsung 840 evo woukl indeed be a good choice.

For the build i would choose lower ram,this will not interfere with that cooler you chose like the next,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231552
still that faster ram for a good price and you might make it work via the xmp setting in the bios.

For a psu i would choose something different too if sli is on your wishlist like ,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151132
if you do not feel confident with "just" 750 watts you could choose one of the following,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171077
or if you prefer a seasonic,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108
they go down in efficiency rating,but not on purpose.I did look at the prices though.For the price they are good units and al three are semi modular which is a nice thing.

I think paying $40 for that corsair is a waste of money if you still plan to upgrade later on.

The rest seems fine to me.

MisBi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

But I saw that the specs writting/reading of the HyperX were faster that the EVO... Or that won't make a real difference maybe ?

About that I also read that there was almost absolutely no difference between green/blue/red/black... I'll check again :)

Yeah you are totally right, but if I OC and go for SLI later (reaaaally later) then that won't be a problem to invest a bit more for a new PSU. For now, I just stick to what gives me the possibility to do it. Changing the PSU won't be a problem later :)

You mean lowprofile ? because high profile could prevent the fan from fitting in its slot ?
I'll change that then :)

Btw, do you think I should stick to 2x4GB modules in 2133 ? or 2x4GB in 1600 ? or 4x4GB in1600 or 2133 ?
I just wonder if gaming & desktop usage would have the use of those 16GB, and if going for 2133 will make a noticeable difference.

I'm actually not even sure that I'll overclock/SLI, I'm just considering it so I consider that buying an overpowered PSU right away is a waste. But I'll have a look at them anyway :)

Thanks a lot !

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Yes that is what i kinda tried to say.

Right now i would suggest taking just 8gb of ram. you can always upgrade if it isn't enough.
I looked at the other speeds of ram but this faster ram was about the same price so i chose it for that reason too.
Just enable the xmp setting in the bios.Otherwise it probably will just run on the 1600mhz speed.If so and it would be fine by you, and you would be interested you could try to tighten the timings,but that's up to you.

(a lot of you there :D )

MisBi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

New build (red = changed):

- CPU : i7 4770K

- MB : Asus Z87-A (C2)

- GPU : Asus GTX 770 DC2 OC II

- RAM : Corsair Vengeance Low profile DDR3-1600- 4x4GB

- HDD : WesternDigital Black - 1TB

- SSD : Kingston HyperX 3K - 120GB

- Power supply : be quiet! Pure Power L8 600W

- Cpu-fan : be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2

- Case : Corsair Graphite 600T

- Monitor : Asus VG248QE

New build price : 1.722€

The RAM you proposed me isn't available on the website I'm gathering the parts. But I took lowprofile though :) Also, I estimated that I should go for 16GB, since on my laptop now, with 12GB, I'm getting short sometimes (big 3D mods or heavy illustrations files).

For the PSU, i'll stick to 600W for now. I went for Be quiet! for PSU and fan since I read that they were pretty good, really honest and serious about their products. I like and encourages that :)
(Also the NH-D14 wasn't available anymore in stock, and apparently the Be quiet! and NH-D14 are equal)

Btw, I should maybe get just a DVD driver :D

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
About the ram,which manufacturer you take is up to you.I do suggest taking 2x8 gb,it often is less expensive and it leaves the opportunity to upgrade if nessesary.

About the cooler,from what i've read the noctua does cool better but the bequiet would be the more silent one.What you prefer in that matter is up to you.
Also from what i've read,if i remember well,has the noctua a better/easier way of attaching the cooler to the motherboard.Something to considder when making up your mind.

Also to considder are the next two,
"Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition Black/White"
or a good cooler on a budget but it will be louder,
"DeepCool NepTwin"

MisBi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

yeah true... I'll check the prices for the same modules in 2x8 :) .

Yeah I also read that the Noctua is one of or the best reference, but it's out of stock on the website I'm going to order... And I don't feel like waiting some weeks if I can get one which is kind of as good :)

Holy shit that one is massive ! I'll have a look at the differences between the BeQuiet! and that one :)

They only have case cooling models on my website, no CPU ones :/

Thanks a lot again for the infos :D I'll come back soon !

cheers o/

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

I don't know which site so can't really take a look.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

I'm dutch and that makes me their neighbour so i know some german. ;)
I have also looked around on alternate.nl which lookes the same so that will be good too.

For parts,
for ram,
http://www.alternate.de/Corsair/Corsair+DIMM_8_GB_DDR3-1600_Kit,_Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/885866/?
http://www.alternate.de/Corsair/Corsair+DIMM_16_GB_DDR3-1600_Kit,_Arbeitsspeicher/html/product/1000995/?
for the cooler,
http://www.alternate.de/Thermalright/Thermalright+Silver_Arrow_SB-E,_CPU-Kuehler/html/product/986462/?

MisBi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks man :)

I changed the RAM modules, saves a couple tenth euros ! I'll see if I can't reinvest them somewhere... :)