Should I bother upgrading from i5-2500 to i5-3570K (free, see description)

seanr7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I built my desktop a few years ago now primarily to assist me in my software development and studies at school where I use a lot of heavy software and use quite a few VMs. It also serves as a casual gaming rig when I'm in the mood.

I built it with an i5-2500 originally. As a part time job, I work at a computer repair shop. Recently, a guy brought in his custom built desktop and he had destroyed the motherboard (I think he spilled something on it, if memory serves) and he didn't want to repair it, and decided to throw it away. Before he tossed it, I asked if I could have the CPU. I've always wanted to make something of for display out of a CPU for fun and figured if he's not using it....

Anyway, he gave it to me and I looked it over and it was an i5-3570K and, as far as a I know, is still in working order. My question is this: is it worth the half hour I'll have to spend to install this and get an Ivy Bridge part as an upgrade from my Sandy Bridge or should I just keep what I've got? I've looked through the ARK on Intel comparing them (here) and I can't seem to see any major difference other than the overclock ability of the K and the slightly faster clock speed.

Thanks for any help!

seanr7

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
My current board does not allow for overclocking because when I bought the original CPU, I had no intention of overclocking.