First build, wanting to game needing monitor and gpu. intel build.

b-dub

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Hi everyone this is my first build so I have been pretty excited about it. due to money saved up and a bonus from work I did spend more than I had originally planned. I have been using a laptop for the past 5 years that is finally shot and I'm ready to have a new computer. I actually have it almost complete.

case - cm scout 2 advanced
psu - corsair cx750m
HDD- 1tb WD black
SSD- 128gb Samsung 840 pro
CPU - haswell I5 4670k
CPU cooler - evo 212 with arctic silver
optical - asus dvd reader/writer drive
ram - g.skill sniper series 2x4gb 1866 (will upgrade if/when needed I just had the money for 8gb at the time of purchase)
MOBO - (ok I went overboard for what I'll ever need...) ASUS Maximus hero
OS - windows 7 home premium 64bit

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Depending on decided budget anywhere from mid November (21st) to the first of December. (5th)

BUDGET RANGE: It will vary depending on HONEST opinions of if I should save a bit more or spend a bit less. I'd prefer to keep it under $400 for the GPU regardless. monitor I would like to keep it under $200 if posssible

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming coming from a console and not planning to buy into the next gen platform. I want to play a bit of everything. from racing, to sandbox games to some RPGs. I don't do PVP gaming (lack of skill and I don't enjoy the immature crowd that mostly follows it) I do co-op play a bit but mostly I just solo game. home theater/watching movies I will connect it to my nearby 42" tv for when I watch movies with the Girlfriend.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Corsair cx750m 750W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Haswell i5 4670k, Asus Maximus Hero,G.Skill 8gb (2x4gb)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: everthing has came from Newegg so far but I'm open to buying from other trusted sites. I have to say so far Newegg's prices and shipping has been excellent

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't have the knowledge to have a real preference but from what I was reading I was leaning towards Nvidia.

OVERCLOCKING: Who knows, I'm not planning on it now but it may happen.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: wasn't planning on it but I'm not against it. (but wouldn't buying a single higher up card make more sense in the first place?)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) -poker face- I have NO knowledge of this to be honest.

I just now got my first hd/tv. I hardly watch anything in H/D I'm perfectly find with watching a "dreadful" 360p youtube video and be happy with it. I'm not picky.. lol

I do need to replace this old dell flat panel so I'm up for suggestions.. I was thinking maybe asus since everything else seems to be falling that direction?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I could care less about running on high or ultra settings. as long as it runs smooth that is my concern but I will be going with a larger sized screen (maybe 27 max) but I will be running a SINGLE screen. and will only use the tv for when watching videos/movies with the G/f. Currently I just have stock cooling with the addition of a evo 212 for my CPU.

I am only limited by my internet connection I'm in a location where I can only get 760kish

I think I have covered everything? I hope so.

Solution
The screen size is irrelevant to performance.
A 22" 24" and 27", or even a 60" 1080P device will all have the same 1920 x 1080 resolution.
I might urge you to bust your budget for the best monitor you feel comfortable paying for.
It will carry you through several generations of pc builds.
Look for a 24" 1080Pmonitor with a ips panel. A ips panel will give you a wider 178/178 viewing angle.
Here is one example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

I normally suggest one budget 2x the cpu price for the graphics card. That would be a $400 GTX770 class card.
In your situation, since you will be happy with lower settings, I think something less like a GTX660 ti boost or 7850 at $160 or so might be ok.

If...

TBC1

Honorable
GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121803

Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236307

Little about both -

The 280x (re-branded 7970 with higher clocks) is a great gpu for hardcore gaming. The asus model in particular has great cooling and is quality built. Also, it sports the new mantle technology and supports CF if ever you want to add in another gpu.

The asus monitor I linked is by far one of the best 1080p display for under $200. It has great picture quality, fast response times and thin bezel frames. I personally would recommend this as I own one myself.

Ok, hope some of this helps out in your decisions!

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
The screen size is irrelevant to performance.
A 22" 24" and 27", or even a 60" 1080P device will all have the same 1920 x 1080 resolution.
I might urge you to bust your budget for the best monitor you feel comfortable paying for.
It will carry you through several generations of pc builds.
Look for a 24" 1080Pmonitor with a ips panel. A ips panel will give you a wider 178/178 viewing angle.
Here is one example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

I normally suggest one budget 2x the cpu price for the graphics card. That would be a $400 GTX770 class card.
In your situation, since you will be happy with lower settings, I think something less like a GTX660 ti boost or 7850 at $160 or so might be ok.

If things should change, it is easy to sell a graphics card and replace it with something considerably stronger.

Solution

b-dub

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

I'm reading/watching a lot on this 280 and it seems nice. I'm hoping they decide to do the free game offers with it as well.

Screen looks to be about what I need. How are the built in speakers? I typically use my turtle beach headphones but having speakers can come in handy for some things.

Thanks, I did read and watch a lot of reviews of items before deciding on what I ended up with. The only thing I really went out and splurged on that wasn't planned was the MOBO. I know I probably wont take advantage of what is there but it's nice to have.

The smaller Asus monitor would be plenty got me I will have to do more reading and learn more about them before I decide but the one's posted seem pretty nice. I'm curious how bad/good the speakers actually are.

I'm leaning more towards the asus gpu to keep it all in the family I was hoping to see something comparable in the Nvidia lineup but apparently nothing exists for that price.

I think that is the same screen the other guy showed me (I may have mixed up the links I'm looking at when quoting them) but I think that asus may be perfect for me and is also cheap enough.

I'm not picky on the graphics but I do want high performance. Of course being able to play on high would be nice if I can afford it so I'm willing to spend a little more.