Quick question - How long should it take to install and update win 7 on new ssd?

Clueless101

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hi,

Bought a new Samsung 840 pro ssd and doing a fresh install of win 7. I realise I have been a bit naive and expected, given the new drive, that it would be a fairly quick and painless task.......it's also been a while since I installed an os. Long story short it took about 20 mins or so to install but I forgot to factor in the update time. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long this is likely to take pls, I have a decent internet connection.so downloading won't be an issue? If it's gonna be hours I will reset to my other hd drive so I can use my PC tonight and continue the install overnight. Windows disk is a couple of years old so will prob wont contain any updates.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give :)

Clueless101

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Hi, thanks a lot for answering :) My internet connection is fine, about 4MB per sec, so downloading the updates won't be an issue, it's basically applying them. The disk doesn't have SP 1.

Given your ans think I will just power down my PC and switch back to my older hd and use my PC tonight. Do you think I will be able to switch around the new disk later and start the install from where I leave off, or am I better going completely from scratch again?

RealBeast

Titan
You should be able to reinstall the SSD and continue on. If you prefer to start over, you can get a legit SP1 image from HERE for the reinstall and it will greatly shorten the update period. Just be sure to get the same version as you use now.

Clueless101

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Thanks a lot for the info and the link, that's a great help. ;-) I have set the ssd back up and let it continue (it's still showing the windows background wallpaper type image and the activity light is going on and off so hopefully something is happening). I will leave it for a few hours overnight and cross the old fingers.

Thank you again