Project Redemption (Fractal Design Define XL R2 mod)

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Hello everyone,

How are you all doing? I hope that all is well. Welcome to my case mod. I have decided to mod my Fractal Design Define XL R2 case and I will be sharing the progress with you.

I like the case the way it was and once I went and put custom water cooling components, I ended up catching the mod fever. The title is for me redeeming myself from a mess that I made with my CM Haf XM. The build will be red in colour with black rads and possibly paint my fans black too (unless I get a sponsor that can provide me with back fans).

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 Titanium Gray

Hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
MB: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1866 MHz
HDD: 256 GB Samsung 830
GPU: EVGA GeForece GTX 780 Hydro Copper
Sound: Creative SB Z
PSU: Silverstone Strider Evolution 1000 W Gold with MDPC sleeves
ODD: Samsung DVD RW
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mesh (will upgrade)
Monitor: Dell U2713HM
Keyboard/Moouse: Logitech G710+ and Corsair M60
Headset: Sennheiser PC 350
Others: Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Water Cooling Parts:

Rads: 2 x EKWB XTX 360 mm
Fans: 13 x 120 mm Noctua NF-P12 and 2 x 140 mm Noctua NF-A14
Fittings: 12 x EKWB CSQ 3/8" OD x 1/2" ID and many more
Blocks: EK Supremacy Plexi Coppe for Intel 115X
Pump: EK-D5 Vario with Plexi Top
Res: EK X3 multioption res
Koolance 360 mm rad shroud
Bitspower 360 mm rad guard
Phobya 360 mm rad mount

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
The build has been going on for almost 2 months now and here is what I have for parts (some of them are on the other end of the living room for measurements and such).

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Here the design that I am going with and also my old setup before the tear down began.

The design:

The last setup before I took the system apart:

I ended up changing the design and layout later due to some unforeseen difficulties. You will see these changes later.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
First I tape and cut off and filed the top, bottom and left side panel (they go in that order)

Top of the case:

Bottom of the case:

Left Side Panel:

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
The I got clever and wanted to use the piece of metal that came from the left side panel as rad plate for the bottom rad. So I went to work.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
As you can see, I made a mistake on the middle fan hole and I attempted to fix it and failed. I even tried to use the Bitspower rad guard and that still didn't do it for me. So I went and I bought a couple of steel sheets and made new one. I also realised that I didn't cut the top panel the right way so I redid that one too.

This is for the bottom:

And this is for the top:

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I liked ti and proceeded to take a few more shots before I went ahead and sanded the case.

Then I went ahead and sanded the case. Removing the sound deadening materials was a hard process but I got it done.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
After I finished sanding, I decided to try and see if the bottom rad and PSU would work the way I wanted them to. The hanging of the PSU on the back didn't work so I made it go half into the case and the other half outside of the case. That didn't go well and I didn't like it either. The rad was being blocked by the front fan mount, so I took care of that.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
So, seeing that the PSU mount wasn't going to work, I decide to have the rad mounted upside and the PSU behind it, just like TJ07. This meant I had to cut the MB tray to fit my new found desire. I also had to replace the rad plates since they were too thin to my liking and I used 2 mm aluminium sheets to create new ones. So here is what I am talking about.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
This is all for now. I will be coming up with more photos tomorrow as I finish up the side panel and PSU bracket modifications. Thanks for tuning in!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I closed the left side panel and I am measuring to see where I will cut the fan holes for bottom rad intake. I will also attach the PSU bracket and clean the case and get it ready for powder coating!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I filed and placed the PSU bracket, just needs better bending. After that, I cut and filed the fan holes on the left side panel. This baby is ready for painting. I will make the cuts for exhausting the air on the other panel after the powder coating is done as I am not sure what style to go with.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
More Fittings and mock setup!

I call this Fittings in the Dark. I really like the Enzotech 90 degrees adapters. I will be buying their other stuff later on.

I used the aquapipe to connect the CPU block and MOFSET block!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I got the top rad mounted. Worked on the loop and changed how the pump and the res connect. Did run the wiring and mounted the SSD. Powered the pump and run a leak test. Enjoy the show

Top rad in the house

The bottom rad was crying for some action so I said sure pal, why not

Well, the PSU said I got get in the pics, after all I do supply power to you all (pun intended)

The loop that goes from the top rad to bottom rad and then bottom rad to res

Side view with the SSD mounted and you can see the res, pump and wiring

Sneak peak of the fill port stuff, never drilled a hole for it on the case because I didn't have to

Bottom side view of the case

Middle part of the case

The GPU,CPU, 24 Pins just had to be seen again. I changed the fittings. I like it this way, it's what I had before the mod began.

And the top players

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I got my hands on a couple of black acrylic panels. I took some photos to show which goes where. I will be making fan grills for the top rad (internal) and bottom rad to cover the fans.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

Yes it is. I have been busy with the holidays and I will resume working on it asap. Thanks for tuning in, more to come.