7950 Sleep Crash - Still a problem?

johnsmith221

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I had a Radeon 6850 for 2 years in the same system with absolutely no problems.

Last week i upgraded to Powercolor HD 7950 and now have an issue.

My computer is set to not sleep but my monitor is set to turn off after 20 minutes inactivity (i never turn my computer off).

With this new card i find that alot of the time now when my monitor turns off i cannot wake it up. (This happens most often overnight for some reason) Also when this happens my mouse is lit up and seems active though my PS2 keyboard is unresponsive (capslock button does not light up)

I have searched and read many threads where people have similar problems however nothing very recently so i wanted to check if anyone found a solution for this. I know i can set my monitor to not turn off and use the power button but frankly i believe a card at this price point should work as advertised.

FYI - I am using the latest stable drivers (13.4). I have even tried a clean install of windows to ensure no driver conflicts and am still having the same problem. I have not done any overclocking but the card is factory oc'd to 925mhz

Is this a hardware problem? Should i try to return the card while i still can?

Appreciate everyones input

Thanks

System-
Asus P8Z68-V LX
i5 2500k (4.4 ghz stable)
16gb ram
crucial m4

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Same issue here, except I am using a 7850. Only happens every so often, sometimes weeks in between, but only after the monitor goes to sleep. I have zero problems with this build otherwise. Very frustrating. I have tried changing so many power saving features but no dice.

Rikkimyers

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
I set display to never turn off and set it to sleep mode after a few minutes and since I made the change about a week ago, have not had the problem since. I had tried a lot of things in bios, set display off but no sleep and none worked but eventually and gratefully found the solution above. Let us know if it works for you.

TRENDING THREADS