Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

AMD-8350 with ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 vs Intel i5-4670k with MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

Tags:
  • Sabertooth
  • Intel i5
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
Last response: in CPUs
October 26, 2013 12:02:31 PM

I know those are 2 good options but I am having the most difficult time trying to pick between them. With those 2 options I am either going to get a GeForce 670 or 760 graphics card. I would defiantly overclock the AMD-8350. The thing that bothers with the Intel i5-4670k is that is seems to get pretty hot in the benchmarks that I have seen but with that being said it does not need to be overclocked to hang with the AMD. I will be using a water cooler on the processors. Please help give me some insight on these options and if there are better options let me know I am very open. Thanks

More about : amd 8350 asus sabertooth 990fx intel 4670k msi z87 g45 gaming

October 26, 2013 12:20:15 PM

If I were going to spend more on the graphics card what would you recommend bounedk?
Related resources
October 26, 2013 12:25:28 PM

Why should I get the i5 over the amd though?
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2013 12:28:54 PM

The i5 has better single core performance against the 8350 clock for clock. As not all games use 8 threads, the i5 will provide more consistent performance with older games.
October 26, 2013 12:33:18 PM

bouncedk said:
charliewilson said:
If I were going to spend more on the graphics card what would you recommend bounedk?


I'd get an R9 280X or a GTX 770.


The GTX 770 is out of my price range but I wil look into the r9 280x.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2013 12:33:40 PM

bouncedk said:
Lessthannil said:
The i5 has better single core performance against the 8350 clock for clock. As not all games use 8 threads, the i5 will provide more consistent performance with older games.


On the flipside though, if you want to record 1080p gameplay without a single dent in performance, even in newer games, the 8350 is the way to go.


Pretty much this.
October 26, 2013 12:39:21 PM

Do more cores generally perform better with the new games?
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2013 12:41:40 PM


FX is much much better than any i5, it takes time to tell you that 8 cores matter, or on the intel side 4 cores and 4 threads matters, those who criticize single threaded performance of FX series lack provisional visions, yet in single threaded apps fx does an ok job, just play any game on ultra and yet when more processing is needed it provides you with that like crysis 3 that fx outperforms i7 3770k...some guys say in rome tottal wars 2 fx cpus give 44 fps average
and 18minimum, but they never say that i7 3770k gives 19fps minimum and 46fps maximum, 2 frame really!? and yet they consider this as a victory...or they say in this single threaded game fx gives 65 fps, i5 gives 90 fps...in real world terms can you really say the difference!? my opinion either i7 3770k or fx 8350, we either agree that in one year games will be as good as crysis 3 or not if we do look here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/... for those who don't agree and think crysis 3 is 3 years ahead of us look at one of 2014 tittles requirements: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4546&ga... it says ultra settings either fx 8350 or i7 3770 k...that shows how multi threading matters in a year from now
October 26, 2013 12:48:51 PM

Darkresurrection said:

FX is much much better than any i5, it takes time to tell you that 8 cores matter, or on the intel side 4 cores and 4 threads matters, those who criticize single threaded performance of FX series lack provisional visions, yet in single threaded apps fx does an ok job, just play any game on ultra and yet when more processing is needed it provides you with that like crysis 3 that fx outperforms i7 3770k...some guys say in rome tottal wars 2 fx cpus give 44 fps average
and 18minimum, but they never say that i7 3770k gives 19fps minimum and 46fps maximum, 2 frame really!? and yet they consider this as a victory...or they say in this single threaded game fx gives 65 fps, i5 gives 90 fps...in real world terms can you really say the difference!? my opinion either i7 3770k or fx 8350, we either agree that in one year games will be as good as crysis 3 or not if we do look here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/... for those who don't agree and think crysis 3 is 3 years ahead of us look at one of 2014 tittles requirements: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4546&ga... it says ultra settings either fx 8350 or i7 3770 k...that shows how multi threading matters in a year from now


Thank you for that info.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2013 12:53:33 PM

for your cpu we have come up with a conclusion either i7 3770 with or without k, if you overclock with k or fx 8350, if you get an fx 8350 by adding up a cooler on you motherboard which is not a motherboard indeed it's a beast you can overclock to 5ghz which changes you fx 8350 into 9590...but for gpu, my recommendation is r9-280x if your budget prevents you to go with gtx 770, and yet they are pretty much the same, and also you can benefit from mantle, which is going to replace directx in gaming, and produces an environment like consoles for pc gammers, which lets your computer focus specifically on gaming, which will eventually cause better performance, the first game to use mantle is battlefield 4
October 26, 2013 12:54:03 PM

On a more specific note which processor do you all think will work better with Call of Duty Ghosts?
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2013 1:15:31 PM

Darkresurrection said:

FX is much much better than any i5,


We are discussing facts here.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2013 1:18:31 PM

Lessthannil said:
Darkresurrection said:

FX is much much better than any i5,


We are discussing facts here.

do you agree with the crysis 3 example or not!? do you agree that in a year games will be like crysis 3 or even better or not!?
October 26, 2013 1:20:01 PM

Darkresurrection said:
charliewilson said:
Darkresurrection said:
call of duty ghost use the same engine as call of duty black ops 2 according to http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7619&ga... ...fx 8350 outperforms i5s in this tittle see here http://www.techspot.com/review/601-black-ops-2-performa...


You are the man!


you are very welcome my friend, if you have got any other questions feel free to ask


If I were to go the AMD route do you think that I should stick with the sabertooth motherboard or could I go with like a MSI 990FX Extreme3 save some money and still be okay overclocking.
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2013 1:20:08 PM

Darkresurrection said:
Lessthannil said:
Darkresurrection said:

FX is much much better than any i5,


We are discussing facts here.

do you agree with the crysis 3 example or not!? do you agree that in a year games will be like crysis 3 or even better or not!?



Thinking that all future titles will support 8 threads is wishful thinking.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2013 1:23:45 PM

Lessthannil said:
Darkresurrection said:
Lessthannil said:
Darkresurrection said:

FX is much much better than any i5,


We are discussing facts here.

do you agree with the crysis 3 example or not!? do you agree that in a year games will be like crysis 3 or even better or not!?



Thinking that all future titles will support 8 threads is wishful thinking.

no it is not...we are entering a new generation, can you compare ps2 games and ps3 games...they are from two different generations, we are entering a new generation, they don't say all who have i5 you can't play games overnight, but watch dogs example comes here, they say those who have i5 can play medium settings, he is assembling a rig to play for 2-3 years on ultra settings it is not about one year
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2013 1:26:54 PM

charliewilson said:
Darkresurrection said:
charliewilson said:
Darkresurrection said:
call of duty ghost use the same engine as call of duty black ops 2 according to http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=7619&ga... ...fx 8350 outperforms i5s in this tittle see here http://www.techspot.com/review/601-black-ops-2-performa...


You are the man!


you are very welcome my friend, if you have got any other questions feel free to ask


If I were to go the AMD route do you think that I should stick with the sabertooth motherboard or could I go with like a MSI 990FX Extreme3 save some money and still be okay overclocking.

a piece of advice, MSI mobos are faulty at the moment the vrm is extremly hot, which will burn out sooner or later, if you want to overclock to 5ghz buy the sabertooth, if you want to overclock to 4.5 ghz buy asus m5a99fx pro r2.0, I have the m5a99fx pro now, and i can say it's excellent, it is not as good as sabertooth but still is less expensive

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2013 3:18:42 PM

I successfully oveeclocked to 4.5 ghz but I returned to the stock clock again, honestly I didn't need the overclock, why should I overclock when I play all games ultra settings at 1080p!?