Power consumption vs. performance i3/i5

cyan34

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
As I heavily consult this page and its forums whenever a new hardware need arises, I figured I'd post my current idea of a build and see what feedback you guys have for me.

This is my idea of a general machine. It will mainly be used for everyday tasks such as browsing, chatting, music and videos. There will also be some light gaming (mostly indie games and some MMOs which I don't care to play on highest or even high settings and other things I know that will run easily) and the occasional compiling of software, where I don't mind waiting another few minutes. It should consume as little power as possible while providing the performance I need.

This PC will be built with the following components that I have already available to me:

Bitfenix Prodigy
GTX 460
Fans
Fan controller

And here are the new parts I've picked out:

Detailed PCPartPicker view

Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor
Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified TX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

I chose the i3 as I feel that my use cases won't benefit from an i5 enough to warrant the extra power consumption. And the PSU because it's apparently a re-branded Seasonic and compatible with the new sleep states of Haswell.

Please also suggest a suitable GPU if I were to buy a new card for reference. For the CPU I will be keeping the stock cooler as that should be sufficient, so there is no aftermarket cooler listed.

As a side note: There is no budget, so feel free to suggest things that might be more suited for the aforementioned use cases regardless of money, so long as the power consumption stays reasonable. An operating system will not be needed as my favored ones are free.

Thank you in advance for any feedback given!

cyan34

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
For the sake of completion: I'll also be using an Intel® SSD 520 Series (60GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC) as well as several HDDs.