Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Explains Why to Buy Surface Instead of iPad

Last response: in News comments
Share
October 26, 2013 7:05:37 PM

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from getting it is games. I wouldn't mind playing some Sim City or something when taking a break from work/ school. Would it hurt to make one with an AMD APU? They do have tablet versions now.
Score
11
October 26, 2013 7:30:50 PM

False dichotomy. If only the world was so simple as to have only two vendors to choose from.
Score
-7
Related resources
October 26, 2013 7:46:29 PM

I'll take a Nexus 7 and a Chromebook and pocket what's left over.
Score
-4
October 26, 2013 7:59:35 PM

microsoft makes such a big deal about the surface having office but they put a ton of restrictions on it. I wanted to get a few surfaces for my business until I found out Microsoft doesn't allow the Office that comes on the surface to be used for business. At least Apples iWork doesn't have the restrictions.
Score
-2
October 26, 2013 9:25:36 PM

I would want one to be a mini computer away from home. Microsoft is my work environment, so the Surface would be nice.

That said I find it more expensive. I want the bigger one with keyboard and that should be about 1100-1150. The office it includes (unless I have misread it) is 365 so you get to rent it at 100 dollars a year. If this thing were priced like the ARM one I'd by one even with the separate keyboard.

I just see a simple cheap laptop as a perfect fit for a mini computer away from home and at a price point far below what a surface costs.
Score
-2
October 26, 2013 9:35:43 PM

The Surface 2 actually includes a non-subscription Office, so it has no further fee. The Skydrive, on the other hand, requires you to pay after the two years.

That being said, $450 ain't cheap for a tablet in that range of hardware by anything but iPad standards. A lot of Android tablets cost less for an equivalent package.
Score
5
October 26, 2013 10:00:05 PM

Shankovich said:
Honestly, the only thing keeping me from getting it is games. I wouldn't mind playing some Sim City or something when taking a break from work/ school. Would it hurt to make one with an AMD APU? They do have tablet versions now.


If they were smart and put in an i5 with a Iris Pro IGP, it would be fine.

And I don't know if AMDs APUs are powerful enough at that power point.
Score
9
October 26, 2013 10:14:11 PM

Quote:
If they were smart and put in an i5 with a Iris Pro IGP, it would be fine.

And I don't know if AMDs APUs are powerful enough at that power point.


Yah, Iris pro is quite impressive. It is almost as fast as a GTX 650m and faster than any of AMD APU's that I've seen compared.

Unfortunately, these would have to be put on the Surface Pro as they aren't ARM chips.
Score
1
October 26, 2013 10:23:48 PM

The above comment "microsoft makes such a big deal about the surface having office but they put a ton of restrictions on it." Either Frank Shaw is about to announce that people are going to get full versions of Office on the Surface 2 or he's lying. I checked with their media contacts, who were hired by Shaw's department, on Friday and they won't say which it is. They referred me to a year old post of gibber jabber about why a restricted home use of Office was important. Buyers of the Surface 2 will be in for a surprise if they read the fine print of Microsoft’s conditions on their license. Surface 2 owners can’t use Office for anything that makes money or even in a nonprofit unless they pay another $200 plus to Microsoft for a full license to Office.

That little stroke of the MS Office pen takes away $220 from the price of a Surface 2 effectively killing the re-launch of last year’s least popular tablet. We are checking with people in power at Microsoft but no positive word yet. Stay tuned. http://njnnetwork.com/2013/10/surface-2-buyers-in-for-a...
Score
-2
October 26, 2013 10:36:28 PM

If I wanted Productivity, I would have gotten an actual notebook, instead of a Tablet hybrid
Score
8
October 27, 2013 12:43:08 AM

i don't see tablet are productivity, it was only a toy for spoiled kids
Score
0
October 27, 2013 12:48:27 AM

otacon said:
The only thing that matters with tablets that don't run a full OS is the apps. Apple wins hands down. The only reason why MS hasn't released full Office versions for iOS is because it would render it's Surface tablets irrelevant. Knock a few hundred off the Surface Pro 2 and I'm sold. Until then iPad Airs and Mini 2's will be in the household soon.


How could MS released Office for iOS while they don't even have a Metro UI version for its own Windows OS? The so called "Gemini" version of Office is still in development. And I am sure all Apple fans, having already decided Windows desktop is fated to disappear, would not want MS to release an Office version that runs in desktop for iOS, which is what they did for Surface. And it is not like iOS cannot access Office 365 using web browser. So where is the proof that MS intentionally withold Office from iOS? There is none.
Score
0
October 27, 2013 3:33:14 AM

I guess for those actually BUY office they are right, is it a good deal.
Score
-1
October 27, 2013 3:54:23 AM

The one more reason to backup Ubuntu touch development!
Come on guys you really think that you can comfortably do the real work with 10" keyboard or that the 10" tablet is comfortable to carry around?
We need phablet that can connect to everything & transform in full OS & all of that with open & free software that have commit behind.
Score
2
October 27, 2013 5:09:07 AM

I wouldn't get any surface 2,coz of RT.But i would love to get Pro 2 because is running Win8.1 pro.
Catch is as is always the price :/ 
128Gb model cost 899$ but that just not acceptable to me.Get a version with more memory and the price is starting to go way to high...and that's even without smartcover!?!
For that amount of money i could get decent laptop/notebook and decent android tablet.
But i guess we have to wait generation or two,or even Win9 for something to start to change :( 
P.S.come on big guys step the game,and let end this BS of phone-ish OS for good!
Score
-1
October 27, 2013 5:57:05 AM

What are you looking for?

Productivity: An actual laptop does much better.
Entertainment: While the Surface DOES support Flash, the competing products have much better native app support.

Also, Windows RT is just about the only modern OS that doesn't support Chrome, so if you use that to sync your bookmarks then you're out of luck.
Score
-1
October 27, 2013 6:18:18 AM

So it's for work AND play? Does that mean when I'm playing I won't be subject to my employer's restrictions on what we can use work provided equipment for? Or if I tell my boss "I bought a Surface to bring to work" will the IT dept suddenly let me use my own device on their network?

The reason people have two computers, one for work and one for play, has nothing to do with the technology.
Score
1
October 27, 2013 6:21:39 AM

Now they just have to explain why I should buy a Surface rather than a laptop. The Surface's top-heavy form factor make little sense for productivity applications.
Score
1
October 27, 2013 7:11:05 AM

The surface pro is the only remotely useful tablet they have, but is it outrageously overpriced for the hardware it offers.

The surface RT offers nothing to the user.

very few apps and most of the remotely decent ones, are paid apps where iOS and android have similar or better free alternatives. It has a crappy UI in comparison.

With the surface pro 1 and the recent price drop, it is a much better deal than the ipad as it is actually running a proper desktop OS, but the surface pro 2 is overpriced.

furthermore, for the price of the current surface pro, you can just buy a laptop with a proper keyboard and much better hardware for the same or less money.

Microsoft needs to price the surface pro in a way where it will not be matching the price of laptops with better hardware.

after that, they need to kill off the surface RT (firesale it for $100 and release the source code for the drivers to the cyanogen mod team)
Score
1
October 27, 2013 8:01:34 AM

I use my iPad for work. What can you play on iPad, games, with fingers? I play games on PC and console
Score
0
October 27, 2013 8:28:03 AM

720p. wow. ( sarcasm).
Score
0
October 27, 2013 9:55:47 AM

"Office" is that it??? IOS also has 250,000 extra apps in its app store. I have a Windows phone (Lumia 1020) but damn, Microsoft's PR department must have a lot of relatives.
Score
0
October 27, 2013 9:58:47 AM

inthere said:
"Office" is that it??? IOS also has 250,000 extra apps in its app store. I have a Windows phone (Lumia 1020) but damn, Microsoft's PR department must have a lot of relatives.

IOS has more than that, and the Surface has over 100k apps as well. They are pointing out their advantage, of course.
Score
0
October 27, 2013 10:25:02 AM

nuvon said:
I use my iPad for work. What can you play on iPad, games, with fingers? I play games on PC and console


Touch controls work well with certain kinds of games, generally strategy games rather than action games. World of Goo and Spirits come to mind.

A lot of people praise Dead Trigger, but I can't get into it, FPS with touch controls just doesn't work for me.

I'm a bit curious, what kind of work do you do on your iPad?
Score
0
October 27, 2013 10:39:34 AM

Suface 2 (RT) is pointless. You can get an 8" Atom (4th gen) powered Windows 8.1 tablet for $400, why would you get an RT powered device?

However, I fully agree with MS that the iPad, Air or otherwise, is defunct now when compared to Windozs 8.1 devices (not Suface specifically). Why bother with a iOS or Android tablet when you have a full range of devices running windows 8.1 starting from $400 to $1500, 8" to 13" screens, with a full range of other hardware choices?

Andriod remains interesting on the 7" side, due to the low $250 price point for Nexus 7 etc, but iOS is dead. They just dont know it yet.
Score
0
October 27, 2013 10:39:58 AM

iPads have 475,000 of the 1 million iOS apps. That is pretty impressive. Whereas Win8.1 only has the 6.5 million programs previously released for x86 on top of the paltry 100,000 Marketplace apps.
Score
0
October 27, 2013 1:59:48 PM

safcmanfr said:
Suface 2 (RT) is pointless. You can get an 8" Atom (4th gen) powered Windows 8.1 tablet for $400, why would you get an RT powered device?

However, I fully agree with MS that the iPad, Air or otherwise, is defunct now when compared to Windozs 8.1 devices (not Suface specifically). Why bother with a iOS or Android tablet when you have a full range of devices running windows 8.1 starting from $400 to $1500, 8" to 13" screens, with a full range of other hardware choices?

Andriod remains interesting on the 7" side, due to the low $250 price point for Nexus 7 etc, but iOS is dead. They just dont know it yet.



Agreed on RT, it has no reason to exist.

However, I don't think Windows devices compare favorably to similarly priced iOS and Android devices. Here's why:

Windows is bloated. iOS and Android run much better on low power chips and require less RAM and a lot less disk space.

Windows also has no clear advantage over either platform in a tablet form factor. One might argue Office, but offerings from Apple and Google are fine for the needs of the average consumer. Tablets are used primarily for content consumption and Window's doesn't do that any better at all. If MS offers office on iOS and Android, the reason for Windows to exist on tablets at all becomes nil.

The desktop application advantage is present, but I don't think it matters to the vast majority of customers. Are people really playing high end PC games and using Photoshop on a <10" tablet? It certainly doesn't make up for the app or performance deficit.

Having "full Windows 8.1" on a tablet is exactly what people don't want. That's why they buy iOS and Android in the first place, they are way simpler and work better than their Windows PC.

I can't tell you the number of times I hear someone say "Why can't my laptop be fast and simple like my iPad?"

Microsoft needs to start from scratch and dump fatboy Frankenstein 8.1

Make a desktop OS for desktops and notebooks and make a mobile OS for phones and tablets. One OS fits all is fail unless it scales like Ubuntu and that only works because Ubuntu is lightweight to begin with.



Score
0
October 27, 2013 2:49:59 PM

JD88 said:
safcmanfr said:
Suface 2 (RT) is pointless. You can get an 8" Atom (4th gen) powered Windows 8.1 tablet for $400, why would you get an RT powered device?

However, I fully agree with MS that the iPad, Air or otherwise, is defunct now when compared to Windozs 8.1 devices (not Suface specifically). Why bother with a iOS or Android tablet when you have a full range of devices running windows 8.1 starting from $400 to $1500, 8" to 13" screens, with a full range of other hardware choices?

Andriod remains interesting on the 7" side, due to the low $250 price point for Nexus 7 etc, but iOS is dead. They just dont know it yet.



Agreed on RT, it has no reason to exist.

However, I don't think Windows devices compare favorably to similarly priced iOS and Android devices. Here's why:

Windows is bloated. iOS and Android run much better on low power chips and require less RAM and a lot less disk space.

Windows also has no clear advantage over either platform in a tablet form factor. One might argue Office, but offerings from Apple and Google are fine for the needs of the average consumer. Tablets are used primarily for content consumption and Window's doesn't do that any better at all. If MS offers office on iOS and Android, the reason for Windows to exist on tablets at all becomes nil.

The desktop application advantage is present, but I don't think it matters to the vast majority of customers. Are people really playing high end PC games and using Photoshop on a <10" tablet? It certainly doesn't make up for the app or performance deficit.

Having "full Windows 8.1" on a tablet is exactly what people don't want. That's why they buy iOS and Android in the first place, they are way simpler and work better than their Windows PC.

I can't tell you the number of times I hear someone say "Why can't my laptop be fast and simple like my iPad?"

Microsoft needs to start from scratch and dump fatboy Frankenstein 8.1

Make a desktop OS for desktops and notebooks and make a mobile OS for phones and tablets. One OS fits all is fail unless it scales like Ubuntu and that only works because Ubuntu is lightweight to begin with.





Although generally i agree with you,good portion of the users are discriminated today.Not everyone is "average Joe" sitting with its own iPad while sipping latte at Starbucks.
Because of that in my former post i said "to put an end to the phone-ish OSes of today",coz let it face it android&ios are great when it comes to smartphones but their tablet version is just the same "upscaled version" with rudimentary (or none) capabilities.
I think that MS knowed this from the start,but in their manner was fooling around with 8.0&8.1 and making stunts with RT.
So my point is:why not third option?why not CISC x86 tablets and x86 OS?
Technology is here,form factor also,time to learn on others mistakes too.I know that they will never sway average Joe or Jane,but large percentage of people know to appreciate full blown OS....so MS should give the shot and time will tell who"s right and who"s no.
Score
0
October 27, 2013 4:10:37 PM

There are CISC x86 tablets... Problem is they're either underperforming (Intel Atom-based ones) or expensive (i5 like the Surface Pro)
Score
0
October 27, 2013 11:56:48 PM

JD88, I understand that Photoshop on a tablet is not ideal, but before sweeping away the relevance of x86 programs using that one example surely even you could think of at least 10 killer x86 programs which would be good on a mobile device. Even without those, this thread has a list of games playable at medium settings, each of which could be called "killer" titles and Surface Pro 1 and 2 are better than the graphics from then

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/127129-13-what-game...
Score
0
October 28, 2013 1:42:30 AM

Surface Pro is with x86 Windows 8/8.1 is in a different league to Surface, iPad, and Android tabs. I was waiting for something like that and I got it soon after release. For productivity and consumption, Windows is light years ahead of Android and iOS. The weight doesn't bother me at all but the battery life remains a big con. Intel's Bay Trail processors have led to some inexpensive Windows (32-bit) tabs that, at least to me, still make more sense than iOS/Android but not powerful enough for demanding desktop applications.

I got the original iPad when it came out and upgraded to the New iPad (i.e 3) after a couple of years which was hardly an upgrad, owned Acer A500, Asus Transformer Infinity, and Nexus 7. I have used all of those extensively and I'm not irrationally partial towards any of the companies involved.

Tablets for gaming is still a no go. I haven't tried Razer Edge tablet though and it looks interesting. As things stand, there's very little difference between the ARM tablets and it's a matter of preference/marketing/cool factor for most folks.
Score
0
October 28, 2013 3:03:30 AM

HiTekMuppet said:

Tablets for gaming is still a no go.


Apart from this list in the link immediately above your comment:-

Batman arkham city -play at medium settings
call of duty mw 3-play at medium settings
call of duty black ops 2-play at medium settings
crysis 1,2-play at low settings
bioshock infinite-play at low to medium settings
devil may cry 5-play at low to medium settings
dishonoured-play at medium settings
nfs hot pursuit-play at medium settings
nfs the run-play at medium settings
hitman absolution-play at medium settings
max payne 3-play at medium settings
prototype 2-play at high settings
mass effect 2-play at medium
mass effect 3-play at medium settings
tomb raider-play at medium settings at 1280*720
the walking dead-play at medium settings
Assassins creed 1,2,3-play at low to medium settings
borderlands 2-play at medium settings
farcry 3-play at low settings at 1280*720
battlefield bad componey 2-play at medium settings
portal 2-play at medium settings
rage-play at medium settings
grid 2-play at low settings at 800*600
tomb raider-play at low settings
farcry blood dragon-play at low settings
dead space 3-play at medium settings

Yeah, tablets aren't for gaming, but a Surface Pro is the exception to that particular rule
Score
0
October 28, 2013 3:47:23 AM

The RT is probably the most useless thing I've seen. By that, I mean... it's at least as useless than an Android or iOS tablet I've owned. It's fine for coach surfing, watching videos, playing games, e-mailing,... but it's quite useless for business purpose.
I always ended up having to carry my notebook or a cheap netbook on holiday because a certain VPN client or some business critical tailor made windows applications were not available for the mobile platform.
With a surface pro, I can have all applications currently running on my laptop, and Lightroom / Photoshop /... to process pictures on the go, in a nice compact form factor . As a bonus, it's even faster than most company laptops (because many are still not SSD equiped).
Why I don't own one yet has to do with the price. It's worth it but the premium for a 256 of 512Mb version is prohibitive. Buying a cheapo 128Gb version to upgrade later myself with a bigger m-sata SSD can't be done without seriously risking of damaging it, so I'll wait until a competitor like ASUS or Lenovo proposes a similar tablet (FullHD, i5 or i7, 8Gb RAM), but with affordable (or user upgradable) storage.
I think that the Surface Pro 2 pricing has to be somehow inaccurate, to enable Microsoft to keep decent relations with their OEM's like Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc... It's more there to proof to the public how good a tablet equipped with Windows 8.1 pro can be...
Score
0
October 28, 2013 3:48:08 AM

The RT is probably the most useless thing I've seen. By that, I mean... it's at least as useless than an Android or iOS tablet I've owned. It's fine for coach surfing, watching videos, playing games, e-mailing,... but it's quite useless for business purpose.
I always ended up having to carry my notebook or a cheap netbook on holiday because a certain VPN client or some business critical tailor made windows applications were not available for the mobile platform.
With a surface pro, I can have all applications currently running on my laptop, and Lightroom / Photoshop /... to process pictures on the go, in a nice compact form factor . As a bonus, it's even faster than most company laptops (because many are still not SSD equiped).
Why I don't own one yet has to do with the price. It's worth it but the premium for a 256 of 512Mb version is prohibitive. Buying a cheapo 128Gb version to upgrade later myself with a bigger m-sata SSD can't be done without seriously risking of damaging it, so I'll wait until a competitor like ASUS or Lenovo proposes a similar tablet (FullHD, i5 or i7, 8Gb RAM), but with affordable (or user upgradable) storage.
I think that the Surface Pro 2 pricing has to be somehow inaccurate, to enable Microsoft to keep decent relations with their OEM's like Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc... It's more there to proof to the public how good a tablet equipped with Windows 8.1 pro can be...
Score
0
October 28, 2013 4:06:22 AM

@back_by_demand

I'm well aware of Intel HD4000's gaming capability. In fact, I was frequently checking out a YouTube channel (SurfaceProGaming) where the guy tests many games on Surface Pro and labels them Surface Certified if they are playable on it.

My point has two do with two setbacks:

- Lack of controller: most of the games require mouse/keyboard or controllers to be playable which defeats the purpose of a tablet's portability. That is why I mentioned Razor Edge, which is similar to Surface but with a smart input scheme. I didn't have any luck connecting my DualShock 3 controller to surface via Motioninjoy wirelessly without a USB bluetooth dongle.

- Heat: I remember an article somewhere asking why Microsoft does not promote Surface Pro's gaming capabilities which trounces iOS/Android's mostly flash games. They concluded that it's probably due to the heat generated. Surface idles at 40-50°C and quickly gets to 60-70°C during light work. With most of the games it gets to 80°C after which it throttles the CPU/GPU to keep it at that level. I might be off by a few degrees, but you get the idea.
Since there are many components in a small, poorly-ventilated area, I did not play games for prolonged periods and risk damage and/or decreasing the lifespan of the components. The tablet is diabolically difficult to repair.

So you're right in that Surface Pro runs games that make iOS/Android look like toys in comparison, but lack of proper and comfortable controls (some strategy games are playable with touch input) combined with the heat issue remain an obstacle in my opinion.
Score
0
October 28, 2013 5:42:38 AM

HiTek, have you not been able to connect via the inbuilt bluetooth for the controller? Even if not, surely a mouse to go with the Type keyboard should cover any gaming requirements. USB shouldn't be an issue either as you should just be able to plug on in the side of the Surface. As far as heat I think Surface Pro 1 may have issue, but the Surface Pro 2 with Haswell should be able to mitigate any of those issues.
Score
0
October 28, 2013 6:21:01 AM

back_by_demand said:
JD88, I understand that Photoshop on a tablet is not ideal, but before sweeping away the relevance of x86 programs using that one example surely even you could think of at least 10 killer x86 programs which would be good on a mobile device. Even without those, this thread has a list of games playable at medium settings, each of which could be called "killer" titles and Surface Pro 1 and 2 are better than the graphics from then

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/127129-13-what-game...


No, you and I agree here back. In fact, this is the exact reason why I argue against Win RT in its current form. Take advantage of the software that is available for the platform.

My comment was in response to someone who said now that Win 8 tablets are available, everything else was obsolete. That's simply not true for the reasons I listed.
Score
0
October 28, 2013 8:45:31 AM

If anything has been made obselete by the Surface Pro, the highest casualty is surely Surface RT, if all it was created for was bandwagon of low power ARM chips the should just have stood the Surface Pro 1 by itself for the first gen, then built up through gens 2, 3, etc - all RT has done is drain a billion dollars away from a mature platform and a good idea
Score
0
October 28, 2013 8:50:45 AM

The Surface Pro 2 rocks compared to the first gen.
Score
0
October 28, 2013 9:43:59 AM

Microsoft needs better marketing. The first Surface campaign just featured a bunch of hipsters dancing around. What the hell is that? How does that tell the market your product is better?
Score
0
October 28, 2013 10:22:45 AM

stratplaya said:
Microsoft needs better marketing. The first Surface campaign just featured a bunch of hipsters dancing around. What the hell is that? How does that tell the market your product is better?


Maybe. On the other hand, do you remember Apple's iPod/iTunes ad campaign? It had a bunch of black silhouettes of people dancing around on bright colour backgrounds with stark colour iPods plugged into their heads. At the same time, there were dozens of other cheaper, equally or more functional MP3 players on the market, some of which had been there longer. Apple's ad campaign said little to nothing about their product or why it was better. This was also before the iPad, the iPhone, or even the iPod touch - in short, before Apple became freakishly popular. In no time flat, the iPod touch was the top MP3 player on the market.

If only advertising were so simple as "show them why our product is better and let them flock to us"...
Score
0
October 28, 2013 10:27:10 AM

For $300 more, I can get an entry level Alienware m14x. Why waste the money on a restricted Surface Pro. If they can sell a loaded Surface Pro 2 under $499, then I might try it.
Score
0
October 28, 2013 11:28:23 AM

Surface Pro is not restricted. It runs Windows 8 and people have been able to install Linux and even OS X (unofficially of course) on it.

As for Alienware m14x versus Surface Pro, one is a laptop and the other is a tablet...
Score
0
October 29, 2013 8:24:54 AM

"The good news is that Microsoft understands how people work better than anyone else on the planet."

And this is where Microsoft lost me.....
Score
0
October 29, 2013 8:26:52 AM

godnodog said:
"The good news is that Microsoft understands how people work better than anyone else on the planet."

And this is where Microsoft lost me.....


Considering that in the vast majority of businesses of the world, Microsoft is the OS people use, that statement should be pretty accurate.
Score
0
October 29, 2013 9:15:14 AM

colson79 said:
microsoft makes such a big deal about the surface having office but they put a ton of restrictions on it. I wanted to get a few surfaces for my business until I found out Microsoft doesn't allow the Office that comes on the surface to be used for business. At least Apples iWork doesn't have the restrictions.


Where did you read that, if you were buying for your work you would get Surface Pros
Score
0
October 29, 2013 1:02:01 PM

Though, if you're getting a device for business, you're better off getting a proper laptop over a tablet.
Score
0
October 30, 2013 7:18:16 AM

Quote: Considering that in the vast majority of businesses of the world, Microsoft is the OS people use, that statement should be pretty accurate.

To Bystander,
I maintain my comment, I disagree with Microsoft stating that they listen what their costumers want, but I also know that they have a R&D just for this things, and regardless of not enjoying the "easier to use" changes that they apply, at the end I still like their products and use them, but I also recognize that I am basically forced to used Windows (for example).
Score
0
October 30, 2013 7:35:00 AM

stevejnb said:
stratplaya said:
Microsoft needs better marketing. The first Surface campaign just featured a bunch of hipsters dancing around. What the hell is that? How does that tell the market your product is better?


Maybe. On the other hand, do you remember Apple's iPod/iTunes ad campaign? It had a bunch of black silhouettes of people dancing around on bright colour backgrounds with stark colour iPods plugged into their heads. At the same time, there were dozens of other cheaper, equally or more functional MP3 players on the market, some of which had been there longer. Apple's ad campaign said little to nothing about their product or why it was better. This was also before the iPad, the iPhone, or even the iPod touch - in short, before Apple became freakishly popular. In no time flat, the iPod touch was the top MP3 player on the market.

If only advertising were so simple as "show them why our product is better and let them flock to us"...

It wasn't TV ad that flock the people into Apple"s iPod.
It were tech sites,news papers and reviews(of all kind) who were buzzing around how "revolutionary" was the jog dial .People were buying not for sound quality or battery life,but for some over hyped "technology revolution".
If nothing else Steve Job knowed how to sell "hot air" to the masses :/ 
Score
0
!