Weird Eyefinity Setup? (2) 17" (4:3 ratio) and (1) 23" (16:9 ratio)

Coersum

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I am waiting for my new pc parts to come in the mail, I was thinking about trying eyefinity but was wondering if my plan would work, however odd it may look. I have a Asus Matrix HD 7970 Ghz Edition coming in the mail, it has 2 DVI and 4 DisplayPort (one of the display port shares bandwidth with the first DVI but it doesn't matter since am only using 3 monitors).

I have a 23" Dell monitor (DVI or HDMI) and 2 17" Dell monitors (VGA only) available. I figured for the price of an adapter I could try the 3x1 setup. I know Eyefinity will require all monitors to have a common resolution to use (the 17"'s resolution of 1280 x 1024).

First wondering if it is possible using:
* the 23" on DVI#1
* 1st 17" on DVI#2 (via DVI to VGA adapter)
* 2nd 17" on DisplayPort (via active DP to VGA adapter)

If that will work, also wondering what it will look like since the 17"'s are 4:3 ratio and the 23" is a 16:9, so using 4:3 ratio resolution (default) on the 16:9 monitor in the middle, which of those might happen:

the 23" taking on the 4:3 resoltion of 1280x1024 makes the image cut out between screen since it's a widescreen or

Part of the image of the 17" screens merges with the 1280x1024 resolution of the 23" to form one image but not using the whole space of the 17" monitors?

The Problem is I doubt the height of the 23" is the exact same as the 17". Despite the resolution, the screens have to be the EXACT same height for it really work and not look stupid. I tried playing with a 2x1 setup with my old 17" and my 21" when I got it, and of course, the 21" is higher than 17", so even though I got it working by setting to a common resolution, playing a game and moving my mouse across the top of the 21", if I kept going right, it would "jump" down an inch and a half to come to the top of the 17".

You should draw your monitors more to scale to see what I mean if you don't get it.

Coersum

Honorable
May 8, 2013

The monitor are actually around 1/4" different in height which isn't bad, I have 2 connected right now (the 23" and one 17") and they are no jump between the 2 when moving windows around, it's all lined up. (I lined the top of the screen in the config panel since the 17" is just a little smaller)

This is what it looks like right now with 2 monitors:

I didn't align them very well, hiding the bezel a bit, but when am facing it I have about 3/4" bezel. For about $20 for the adaptor, might be worth a try but wanted to make sure which of the 2 possibilities above might happen :D

Coersum

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I was just wondering whenever my 23" will be having some huge spacing on either side at 1280x1024 or if the image will glue each other and just use half of the 17"'s if anyone has done it or seen something about it, please let me know.

Thanks