BSOD on Games and random stuff in windows..

killerrabbit

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
So I decided to finish my Xcom game last week, so I loaded up my almost 1 year old save game and completed the game. Started a new one and now I get random BSOD's all the time when I enter tactical missions. Sometimes I can finish a mission but most likely I can only finish a couple of moves / instant crash on the combat mission. I have verified the files via steam, also completely deleted them and re-downloaded them

Problem is, even if if blue-screens, I do not get any reason for it - nor is any mini-dump file created. However I actually have one in the mini-dump now, but I don't think this one is from any in-game crash:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B04XM2kmkXFqdWFtRjVWN05pOFU/edit?usp=sharing
(latest minidump file)
edit: also a screenshot of the minidump file:
http://i.imgur.com/zwcdjhx.png

So I was only experiencing this problem in Xcom... but now I blue-screened while watching a HD video on YouTube as well. I don't experience any crash in other programs/games, yet at least.

My computer specs are & have been this for a couple of years now, no changes in hardware before the BSOD attacks.

Grapichs: 2 x HD 6950 cards (tried removing one to see if it stops blue screen, no luck)
CPU: Core I7-920
MB: Asus Rampage II extreme
RAM: 6x 2GB DD3 3 12800
HD: F120 SSD system drive, 2x300gb hd's in raid.
POWER: 850W Cooler Master

I have run some stress test on graphics (furmark) & CPU (intelburntest) - no problems. I have also used the Win7 tool to check the memory - no faults found. I have also scanned all hard-drives with the error checking tool in windows - no problems found there either. Any suggestion on how to proceed would be very helpful... not so long till XCom Enemy within expansion now, and really looking forward to playing that without blue-screens :)
I also tried to play some Battlefield 3, no crash there though..

Edit:

More like crashes for random causes now, like for example hitting the reply button on this forum. So it's not only inside games any more, crashes whenever it wants to crash.

I have also removed old graphic drivers and tried to update to 3 different graphic driver versions, to no avail. Also let windows update to its thing since I have had it disabled for half a year, but that did not change anything either. Also did a Virus check with AVG 2013 - 0 threats was found...

killerrabbit

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Still have not solved this.. random crashes everywhere now, for example pressing reply in a forum, or closing a tab in chrome.

3D mark crashes on first test as well the two times I have run it, on random number of seconds in the test, not on any specific time. Furmark stress test never crashes... And ofc any game now with "graphics" crashes as well.

Have done all driver cleaning/sweeping/upgrading and software testing I can think off, even measured the voltage in the socket @ the house. (235V)... any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Here are a couple of crash logs, the 1% of the time I have gotten anything any minidump file of the crashes:
http://i.imgur.com/6fSZ9CY.png

woodysan

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Do you have ESET installed and running? Anti-virus or internet security. If you do, un-install them (whichever you have), reboot and try running the game.

killerrabbit

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

No, I only installed an anti virus program after the things started to make sure I had no viruses (0 found).

However, I borrowed a nvidia GT430 graphics card from a friend which requires no external power supply cables - and with that card I do not get any crashes on my computer! So the question is then, has *both* my HD6950 graphic cards got *corrupted* to cause all this random crashes, or is it the PSU that's singing on the last verse? It's strange though that I have not experienced any crash during a GPU burn in test in furmark, but 3Dmark crashes almost instantly the tests start (and games crash on random, along with random stuff I do in windows, like pressing a reply button or closing a tab for example)

I'm starting to think PSU though.

ozmiz

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Sounds like your in the right track by swapping out parts to isolate a bad component.
If you can get your hands on a PSU and test out your original pc configuration??

killerrabbit

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Small update, when having one of the HD6950 cards and running 3Dmark to get the crash fastest (usually crashes in 10 seconds), about 2 seconds before the crash I hear a little whining electrical-ish noise then I get the crash.
I also checked the voltage on both power rails, it keeps a steady 12.3 V even after the black screen crash... I though if the the PSU is bad, you would see voltage variations or lower voltages than 12V, but it seems to keep a stable 12.3 on all rails, same on the cpu power cable..

ozmiz

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
So it is crashing only under a load at this point, that benchmarks the GPU?
You mentioned two HD6950's, I'm guessing you have tried to run the other one independently with 3DMark as well correct?

One card going bad I can see, hard stretch to see both of them go bad at the same time; what are the odds of that.. hmmm.
However the borrowed GPU works, so does really make me wonder here.

killerrabbit

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Apparently it's the PSU. I was to the local dealer and tried one of his 850W PSU's and I could run the 3Dmark test completely now. It's strange though I could stress-test GPU & CPU in furmark & intelcpu to 100% and not get any crash.. but 3D mark = instant crash within 10 sec. Games & windows = random crashes..

I guess it's true what they say... PSU casues the most fantastic and strange crashes....