i5-4670 or i7-4770 for AutoCAD and 3D modelling PC ?

swasts

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I want to build a rig. I will be using Auto-CAD and other programs with rendering and the works, with the occasional game. I know that the I5 would be the best CPU for gaming.

I'm just wondering if the hyper-threading of the I7 would be better for rendering and 3D modeling?

Which one should I focused or spend more ? The CPU or the GPU ?

Ectorr

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Yeah definitely i7 HT technology is for those things u mentioned. If gaming is not ur main goal, definitely spend the money on the i7-4770..I think u wont need the K version.

Aug 15, 2013
2013 autoCAD cannot take advantage of hyper threading (don't know about 2014) so an i5 and an i7 are effectively the same processor as far as autoCAD is concerned.

However, to help you figure out what sort of system you're gonna need we need more info. For instance, do you frequently work with large objects? Do you need to frequently produce realistic renderings? Do you do your modeling professionally? How critical is the accuracy of your drawings? What's your budget?

If you just model the occasional small object and render rarely an i5 with a decent gaming GPU will be fine. On the other hand if you do 3D modeling professionally you're gonna need a much much more powerful rig or you'll be losing money with all the down time while rendering.