PC often slows down

G

Hello,
I recently bought a Lenovo Ideapad Y500 with an
i7 3632qm @2.2ghz
8gb ddr3 ram
1tb hdd 5400rpm
2gb gddr5 nvidia geforce gt750m.
The problem,which i can't seem to figure out is that my disk shows 100% usage even when i use a small program or when i am copying small files from one drive to another.This often slows down my pc and it starts hanging.I am unable to get the so called "MULTI-TASKING" power of the i7.

Please suggest a solution to this as I have been searching a lot online.....do i need to install any specific drivers, because i have all recommened drivers installed from lenovo.

ozmiz

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
I'm sure you have already done the following, but to make sure:
Open Task Manager and sort by "CPU" on the Processes tab, and double check no other program keeps using the CPU at the same time as the tasks your running.
Double check a virus scanner isn't slowing down the system through scanning everything is real time as it runs, is accessed, ect
Double check for virus' through a program such as Malwarebytes
Check hard drive space for adequate room
Run MSCONFIG, click the startup tab, and get rid of any programs running in the background that does not need to be running or looks suspicious
Run MSCONFIG and go through the Services Tab (some advanced knowledge needed concerning services) and see if there are any unnecessary services running you can shut down and disable.
Download CCleaner and run it.. use it also to repair your registry; run it multiple times on the registry until it reports no errors found.