Input on First Build in Over a Decade Please

WolfsDen

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Hi All, I am new to this forum. It has been over 10 years since I've built a system. I have tried to keep up with current hardware over the years. I am simply looking for honest input on this build from experienced folks.

Purpose:
Gaming
Would like to play around with some overclocking.
I did originally plan my build with Intel components. A friend sold me on AMD, (The fact the switching to AMD cut $1000 off the build cost helped too!!) It seems now that proprietary instruction sets in the CPU are not as big of a factor as they used to be.

CPU:
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz

CPU Cooler:
Corsair Hydro H100
*NOT H100i

Mobo:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866

Graphics:
GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3x16

GPU Cooler:
Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid Fluid Dynamic VGA Cooler
*Unput for this liquid cooled option vs the stock cooler is highly welcome.

PSU:
Corsair AX850

HDD:
WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ

Case:
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 ATX-Mid

Case Cooling:
120 mm fans
Negative Pressure (1.79:1)

Pretty sure I want to stick with Win 7. I have not heard much praise for Win 8, however, would appreciate some input there as well.

As stated, I am looking for honest input, I appreciate the time and effort of anyone who responds.

CPU Cooler - You will get a good overclock with the Hyper 212 EVO cooler (air cooler), but stick with water cooling if you want to eek out those last few clock cycles.

GPU Cooler - Not needed.

GPU - Do you plan on running three HD 7870's?

HDD - For the cost of that VelociRaptor you are most the way to a 256GB SDD which will run circles around the WD. Consider the Samsung 840 Pro or Evo, or Crucial M500. There are plenty of good SSD options.

OS - Windows 7 is fine, however Windows 8.1 (yes with the .1 update - A.K.A. Blue) is pretty solid.

WolfsDen

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013

sadams04,

Thanks for the response.

I do not plan to use more than one unless needed.

I have been on the fence about the HDD vs SSD for some time in planning this, thanks for that info.