What college degree should I go into for computer hardware or science

jlivecchi22

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I have been in college for only one semester so far and I am struggling with C++ programming and even python. Keep in mind I haven't done any programming until these classes and had no idea what to expect. I dislike programming and don't believe I would like to do it as a career. I do like the repair part of computers. I want a well/ decent paying job that I can install new hardware, build home computers/laptops and so on. I am not the brightest student by failing calculus 1 which isn't uncommon but still am not doing well in the class. so which degree could I go to college for and be successful in and enjoy I haven't been able to find anything answering my question to 100% yet so figured to make a post. I don't need a description of different degrees is not needed only the degree its self and I will research it on my own.

Thanks,
Jesse Livecchi

Hate to break it to you but College degrees do NOT teach you HOW to do to the work, College Degrees teaches you how THEY (programmers, etc.) do the work so you can MANAGE those people. If you want to get your hands 'dirty' and want to " repair part of computers.... that I can install new hardware, build home computers/laptops and so on" then all you need is CORPORATE CERTIFICATIONS (yes all out of your pocket NO you can't get a loan to defer the costs). Basic knowledge is certified by CompTIA's A+ Certificate, you would need to pay for classes then the testing. Further Certs are Network+ (about networking computing devices), Security+ (all about security of systems and communications), CISCO (certified for CISCO hardware that connects everything together - i.e. Internet), Micosoft (MCSA, MCSE, etc.) and so on.

Now head down to Best Buy, see that person fixing Grandma's computer filled with Cat hair and complaining she never had a problem with computers before, or the poor guy trying to sell the newer computer model to the Dad who is asking does a HDMI cable work in a USB slot? That is the 'lucrative career' you can get for amazing $9-10 per hour now because any 'kid out of HighSchool' knows more then these Executives and Grandparents.

Computer Programming is a way to be making the newest softwareware for anything, and yes it is VERY HARD. Databases is a alternative path but still similiar as your using Python and other tools to develop and manage where 'the data' sits and gets 'pulled from' and 'how to get at that data' that Walmart, Amazon, everyone is using to make money on. Web Design and development is another offshoot, you still need to know programming code (Java, Java Script, OOP basics, etc.) but you usually are more 'artistic' as your also the sole person making the visual designs of the webpages too (the graphics, video editing, audio narrations, etc.). All these are 'taught in college' perse, but realistically you need a combination of College education AND Certification so you can be both the worker AND Manager of workers as the companies use you over the years.

Hope that helps.