Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What are the risks with building your own PC?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
October 28, 2013 12:15:47 PM

I'm looking to build my own gaming PC and I'm just wondering what the risks of building it yourself are. I've been told that you can damage it through static contacting the pieces. What pieces would this be? Are there any other things that could be detrimental to the computer?

Lastly, could you tell me what some solutions are. Thanks for a response.
EDIT: If I do damage a part of the PC, that I bought online (Amazon.co.uk) *Example* would I be able to refund it? (Mainly, if I damage it through static, so it was my fault, in a sense)

More about : risks building

a c 121 V Motherboard
October 28, 2013 12:20:29 PM

Yes, while building static electricity is always a concern, but this can be avoided by "grounding" yourself before handling any components. This is most easily done by touching any metal piece of the computer case before handling components.

As far as risks on a self built computer vs a premade one there aren't any. In a self build you save money, and get exactly the parts you want in it.

Just be aware of static electricity and how to avoid it, Read the instructions for specific components and don't try to force anything to fit and you will be good :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 557 V Motherboard
October 28, 2013 12:24:39 PM

- components compatibility,
- faulty components installation.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2013 12:41:49 PM

Building a PC isn't too hard but we get a few posts here where builders have just not done their homework so First, foremost and most importantly of all: READ THE MANUALS!
Personally I've found static to be overrated, it's enough to keep yourself grounded when installing the electronic parts (I take a sock off and keep a toe touching a central heating pipe-no comments, you lot!).
Probably the largest danger is mechanical damage when installing the motherboard. It is VERY important not to allow it to drag against the metal standoffs you need to screw it to. Best way to avoid this is to lay the case on its side and lower the MB in with the back a little lower than the front so you can slide it into the rear of the case without risking such contact. Installing the CPU and cooler first can give a little more 'handle' to work with and in most cases it's easier to install them with the motherboard out anyway.
Second most likely cause of damage is using a poorly fitting screwdriver and overtightening the screws-come on, you're building a expensive piece of hardware, surely you can afford a half decent 'driver. ;) 
Newegg has some nice 'build you own' videos BTW.
Remember, just like Cylons, PC's are equal opportunity haters-they hate us all, equally.
!